PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charles Rogers released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely not on the hate bandwagon. Rogers is a former #2 overall who's been injured and has never had a real QB. Surely worth a chance.

As for his fragility, we could play him the same way we play Deon Branch-- and don't tell me you haven't noticed that Branch always throws himself to the ground before getting tackled. It has helped to keep him (somewhat) healthy, so it might work with Rogers as well. I'm all for giving the guy a shot. It's a low risk, high reward deal. Really nothing to lose.

Gon_Trevil said:
I'm definitely not on the hate bandwagon. Rogers is a former #2 overall who's been injured and has never had a real QB. Surely worth a chance.

As for his fragility, we could play him the same way we play Deon Branch-- and don't tell me you haven't noticed that Branch always throws himself to the ground before getting tackled. It has helped to keep him (somewhat) healthy, so it might work with Rogers as well. I'm all for giving the guy a shot. It's a low risk, high reward deal. Really nothing to lose.

My apologies to the Charles Rogers bashers on this website, but Rogers is not the stiff you think he is. I'm not saying he's great but, he knows that the next team might be his last and I for one say give Rogers a chance here. I think there is some good football left in him. He's young. Still fast. Spent the last few years trying to catch Joey Harringtons air balls. Getting tackled in the Pontiac superdome is not exactly forgiveable on your body. Its cement underneath that fake grass.

Look. If Deion the d1ck is going to cry that he's poor. Let Charles Rogers have a chance. He WANTS to play.

IF BB and Pioli give him a look. I bet he's on our team come opening day.

Brady#12 said:
Yeah he sucks:rolleyes:

Seriously come on guys, this guy could turn out to be a top WR mcuh better than Branch and probably Jackson will ever be!

I think he just needs a change of scenery bring him in and keep him on the final 53 and let him work his way up the depth chart and prove that he's worth his shot.

Give him around the leauge minimum and lets see what he can do!

UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Sorry, not dumping on you Brady12, just too much of hearing how Branch really isn't that good. Go back and watch the tapes. I'm all for bringing in Rogers or anyone else as we are short on receivers, but do not give this guy any benefit of the doubt. This guy could turn out to be a top WR and much better then Branch? Well, he's an underachiever who knew he was on the bubble and yet displayed a lack luster work ethic before he was cut. Compared to Branch, who is a go to player, Superbowl MVP, and PROVEN. People harp on him disappearing in the Denver game, but he was in very good company of individuals who played like ****, and those players were not tripled teamed. I'm disappointed that he'll probably never play another game as a Patriot. But I won't be one to forget his critical catches and hard play and won't be one who will be cussing him out. Its a business and he chose the route he's taken.

Rogers has tremendous talent. He is big and fast and was a terror at Michigan State. He also looked like a star the first few games of his rookie season, before the collarbone injury. He re-broke the collarbone in 2004 and missed almost the entire season.

Last year he was a major disappointment, getting suspended and having a poor relationship with team management after they tried to take his signing bonus back.

The guy is worth a flier though. He obviously liked to smoke week, which is what got him in trouble, but he isn't supposed to be a bad kid otherwise. His first positive test was a diluted sample at the combine, I'm not sure what the second was.

However, he has been in the program since last year (getting tested many times every month) and come up clean. Since he was a star at Michigan State, there was a lot of pressure on him playing in Detriot, and things went badly. However, he could benefit from a change of scenery.

The guy is definitely worth taking a look at, he could be another Cris Carter who overcame substance abuse and maturity problems early in his career to become a great player. Or, he could be another Koren Robinson. Given the state of the WR depth chart, he is worth a shot.

Hi Guys
New Poster, Great Board. In regards to waivers. I understand poor teams get first crack at picking up players on waivers. Wouldn't a team claiming a player off waivers be subject to pick up what is left on his current deal? I believe the same goes for a trade? I'm not saying the Pats are even interested but if they had to pick up his current contract they might not be so interested. So in regards to trading a 7th round pick for him that might be the reason. I think that would drive most teams away as i would imagine it would be quite hefty. Now once he clears waivers it might be a different story, any team then can negotiate.

I might have this all fouled up but i think there is a decent chance Mr Rogers makes it through waivers.

After all that is said, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. Throw enough mud (receivers) against the wall and eventually some has to stick.

Breaking INFO that proves Charles Rogers will never be a Patriot!!!

He's a Poston client:D

The Associated Press reports agent Kevin Poston expects NFL teams to start calling Sunday, Sept. 3, about free agent WR Charles Rogers (Lions), assuming he clears league-wide waivers. "After 24 hours, we will start contacting teams and I'm sure teams will be contacting us," Poston told The Associated Press Saturday morning, Sept. 2. "He's a 25-year-old receiver with a lot of talent."

AirForcePatsFan said:
Hi Guys
New Poster, Great Board. In regards to waivers. I understand poor teams get first crack at picking up players on waivers. Wouldn't a team claiming a player off waivers be subject to pick up what is left on his current deal? I believe the same goes for a trade? I'm not saying the Pats are even interested but if they had to pick up his current contract they might not be so interested. So in regards to trading a 7th round pick for him that might be the reason. I think that would drive most teams away as i would imagine it would be quite hefty. Now once he clears waivers it might be a different story, any team then can negotiate.

I might have this all fouled up but i think there is a decent chance Mr Rogers makes it through waivers.

After all that is said, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. Throw enough mud (receivers) against the wall and eventually some has to stick.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I think it's pretty much like the draft order. Teams like Houston get the first crack at him. If we want him, I believe we have to hope nobody else claims him off the waiver wire before we do. I could be wrong though. I'd be all right with signing him, could be a decent stop gap until Jackson is healthy (if that ever happens).

PatsRI said:

The Associated Press reports agent Kevin Poston expects NFL teams to start calling Sunday, Sept. 3, about free agent WR Charles Rogers (Lions), assuming he clears league-wide waivers. "After 24 hours, we will start contacting teams and I'm sure teams will be contacting us," Poston told The Associated Press Saturday morning, Sept. 2. "He's a 25-year-old receiver with a lot of talent."
shouldve been in the first post of this thread..we wouldnt have added so many responses :)

One thing to remember is that like the draft we have 21st pick

on the younger wide receivers. If there is someone we really like,

we'll have to make a trade.

AirForcePatsFan said:
Hi Guys

Welcome! The Pats can claim him off waivers, but any team who picked 1-20 in the draft and puts in a claim gets him. His contract was with Detroit, so I doubt very much if he gets more than the league minimum if claimed, unless they want to negotiate a mult-year deal. As the Poston note above indicated, they will start shopping him once he clears waivers. I don't know beans about the kid, but Pioli does, we'll have to wait and see if they want to take a chance.

His base this year is a little over $750K, which is above the minimum for a 3 year player. He has 4 years left on the deal, although the late years may be voidable if certain incentives are reached. Teams may not want to claim the deal because it likely contains escalators and such, as the contract for the #2 overall is usually quite complicated.

Just because Poston is his agent, that might not stop the Patriots from picking him up. That didn't stop them from trying to sign Law, and they came close in that instance.

NE39 said:
Just because Poston is his agent, that might not stop the Patriots from picking him up. That didn't stop them from trying to sign Law, and they came close in that instance.
It was more of a joke. The Postons are a running joke/hate here on this board over the past few years. Speaking of which any new Bang cartoons out there lately?

Guys,

I'm all for giving people second chances, but Rogers is not good. Not only that, but he had his second chance this year. I keep hearing that his lack of getting on the field was due to being in the doghouse, and I have to ask "from which coach?" Detroit replaced their coach this past offseason.

OK, you could say both. But then I have to ask, why do you think NE would want to resucitate a career of a guy who ended up in the doghouse of his new coach before the first season even begins? A doghouse so deep that the new coach cuts him completely?

The truth is that he wasn't even the 3rd best WR on his team, the Detroit Lions, who have even worse receivers than NE. A case could be made that he was the 4th or 5th best, but was cut because he didn't want to play special teams. Again, why would NE be interested in a 4th WR who won't play special teams?

Just because a guy was a high pick with a bunch of measurables doesn't mean that he is any good. I will gladly eat my words if I am wrong.

Oswlek said:
Guys,

I'm all for giving people second chances, but Rogers is not good. Not only that, but he had his second chance this year. I keep hearing that his lack of getting on the field was due to being in the doghouse, and I have to ask "from which coach?" Detroit replaced their coach this past offseason.

OK, you could say both. But then I have to ask, why do you think NE would want to resucitate a career of a guy who ended up in the doghouse w coach cuts him completely?

The truth is that he wasn't even the 3rd best WR on his team, the Detroit Lions, who have even worse receivers than NE. A case could be made thatJust because a guy was a high pick with a bunch of measurables doesn't mean that he is any good. I will gladly eat my words if I am wrong.

The general rule in the NFL is to milk what talent you have left until its gone dry and then let them go. But with Rogers who has good potential to be let go by the team that drafted him is not a good sign. But then again, once you get on the bad side of the boss, its very hard for him to see you any other way except for a bad apple. Perhaps all Rogers needs is a change of scenery. Can't help but think that with all the crap that has gone on in Detroit, its hard to stay positive about you boss and team when what you doing isn't working but you keep on doing the same thing.

PatsRI said:

awe you terd, you took my post b4 i could get it up. right on though.

I think the addition of Rogers would not hurt at all lets not forget who threw to him in Detroit for the whole beginning of his career Mr Harrington. He ws a No. 2 overall in his whole draft class. I think the rsik could be large but one that BB could pull off

:eek: Two Words => David Terrell.

Maroney39for6 said:
I think the addition of Rogers would not hurt at all lets not forget who threw to him in Detroit for the whole beginning of his career Mr Harrington. He ws a No. 2 overall in his whole draft class. I think the rsik could be large but one that BB could pull off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe