PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers Steal Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no excuse. Why don't you man up and admit that the whole thing was over-blown and that the Pats should not have been penalized as harshly as they were. Especially since the Jets were doing the same damn thing in the same game.

Right on Da Bruinz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After Willie McGinest made "the stop" at Indy in 2003, he said in an interview that they knew Edge was getting the ball because when Manning tapped his hip while audibling, he was audibling to a run. Obviously McGinest "stole" the signal.

In 2001, the Raiders were playing at Indy. MLB Greg Biekert decoded Manning's audibles at halftime and the Raiders completely shut him down in the 2nd half. Biekert obviously "stole" the signals.

Stealing signals is not illegal, which is why the whole "integrity of the game" issue that non-Pats fans and Goodell bring up is bull. Goodell only had issue with the method of how the Pats were recording signals, not the actual stealing of them.

Regards,
Chris

Epilogue: In the Pats' next game vs. the Colts, the 2004 season opener, on a 3rd (or 4th?) and short situation around midfield, Manning again tapped his hip during an audible. McGinest came flying in off the edge straight at James who was getting the expected handoff and drilled him in the backfield. However, this time Manning faked the handoff and ran a naked bootleg to the side McGinest vacated for about 20 yards. The lesson? If someone is stealing your signals, change them. Manning learned this. Why can't everyone else?

since everyone is on the stealing signals topic I have a honest and simple question. Since I do not try to bring cameras in the games are they allowed in the stands? As far as I always thought is that the game is property of the NFL and try not to allow video cameras in the game but I might be wrong.
Next, I've always been under the impression that coaches trade gametape. If the Patriots have a coaches gametape cameraman filming the signals, isn't it a little bit of a obvious crime if they trade? Also, if there's two coach's cameramen there wouldn't it hint the other team that they MAY be taping something they shouldn't be?
Excuse my ignorance but I always hear that the Patriots could be filming from ANYWHERE but the sidelines but I thought there were restrictions on where and when filming could occur. But, then again, there's always the local you could hire that could sneak in a standard camera and give them front row tickets and still have the same tape the Patriots had.
I'm not trying to start up an old argument, just trying to get a clear picture of what's legal and what's not legal when it comes to videotaping.

Last edited:
since everyone is on the stealing signals topic I have a honest and simple question. Since I do not try to bring cameras in the games are they allowed in the stands?
Yes. Stadium personnel may give you a hard time if you're bringing in the latest professional HD Canon digicam, however.
Next, I've always been under the impression that coaches trade gametape. If the Patriots have a coaches gametape cameraman filming the signals, isn't it a little bit of a obvious crime if they trade? Also, if there's two coach's cameramen there wouldn't it hint the other team that they MAY be taping something they shouldn't be?
Game tape is two overhead views at the top of every stadium- completely different than any private video for sign-stealing.

Excuse my ignorance but I always hear that the Patriots could be filming from ANYWHERE but the sidelines but I thought there were restrictions on where and when filming could occur. But, then again, there's always the local you could hire that could sneak in a standard camera and give them front row tickets and still have the same tape the Patriots had.
I'm not trying to start up an old argument, just trying to get a clear picture of what's legal and what's not legal when it comes to videotaping.

My understanding of this matter is the same as yours. This is why Pats fans were so outraged that this technicality cost us so much.

Well, I wouldn't wanty 11 Manning's out on the field either. For a Pro team to claim they know the play calls, you'd think they would have blown us out. Two tipped balls and a fumble all in scoring position, and we lose by 4. Their defense made those plays that had nothing to do with knowing what the call was.

The crappy refs once again spotted the Colts 7 points as well as a gift wrapped imaginary pass interference. The Bolts had to overcome a lot more than just Manning.

since everyone is on the stealing signals topic I have a honest and simple question. Since I do not try to bring cameras in the games are they allowed in the stands? As far as I always thought is that the game is property of the NFL and try not to allow video cameras in the game but I might be wrong.

The Jets illegally videotaped the Pats, and Goodell ignored it. Standing in one place versus another to videotape the opposing team is apparently a subjective thing that only Goodell seems to understand. The pats did nothing wrong in videotaping, their mistake was to videotape from a certain part of the stadium which Goodell apparently didn't like. He had no problem with the Jets doing the exact same thing from a slightly different spot, even though Belichick made it clear that he did not give the Jets permission to do it.

It really is not hard to think that Goodell was simply trying to rip the Pats a new hole. This 'spygate' thing is the most overblown thing in a long long time.

Damn, will people stop finding excuses to what the Pats did?

IDIOT post of the week.

You are the winner. :rolleyes:

What the Pats 'did' was get annihilated for a first time documented offense of taping in one area (as opposed to another), when the rules clearly stated that second offenses, not first offenses, would be punished. Goodell simply wanted to go ballistic, and he did.

this is what I have pieced together from reading various things around the net since the incident.
sounds like you can't record any audio/video during the game that will be used to give you an advantage in that game.
however, you are allowed to tape stuff for postgame 'coaching purposes' just like the coaches' tape they use now.
the filming locations are apparently restricted by rule to areas with 3 walls and a roof, or something like that, so you can't just set up a guy w/a hand cam anywhere you want, which is pretty much what teams were doing, so the commish sent a memo out to the nfl reminding them of the restrictions and specifically mentioning the sideline prohibition.
for whatever mysterious reason, which we will never know, belichick sent his guy right over to the sideline w/a camera, which caused a media firestorm from people who didn't know wtf they were talking about, and prompted the commish to kick him in the nuts, whether because he was now put on the spot, or because he felt belichick flipped him off and he wanted to set an example, I have no idea.
it IS worth noting that he took the lesser of the first round picks, and left us w/the san fran pick, so maybe he was just putting on a show for the rubes.

Yeah, kinda figured that. If this incident does anything it should force DC's to create indicator signs, similar to baseball, to try to confuse anyone who wants to know. They really are just as visible as a 3rd base coach so why not hide your signals? That could have saved the NFL a lot of embarrassment to the average fan. IMHO though, Goddell can't be to blame for the fine though. To an average fan, it appears as if the Pats cheated, whether everyone does it or not. How would the NFL look if Merriman was proven taking steroids and not suspended, it just has to happen or else the league looks bad. I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of talking about this incident as we are defending Merriman with all the steroid talk so I'll just end it right here. With my opinion aside it does seem like you guys got made an example of with the NFL trying to reinforce a rule that was probably never enforced.

Yeah, kinda figured that. If this incident does anything it should force DC's to create indicator signs, similar to baseball, to try to confuse anyone who wants to know. They really are just as visible as a 3rd base coach so why not hide your signals? That could have saved the NFL a lot of embarrassment to the average fan. IMHO though, Goddell can't be to blame for the fine though. To an average fan, it appears as if the Pats cheated, whether everyone does it or not. How would the NFL look if Merriman was proven taking steroids and not suspended, it just has to happen or else the league looks bad. I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of talking about this incident as we are defending Merriman with all the steroid talk so I'll just end it right here. With my opinion aside it does seem like you guys got made an example of with the NFL trying to reinforce a rule that was probably never enforced.

Great points, and I believe most of Pats nation would agree. There are slight differences between steroid busts and filming regulations, but I don't particularly care to argue- we were both caught (as was rodney for hgh, of course).

See you in the analysis threads, I hope!

The crappy refs once again spotted the Colts 7 points as well as a gift wrapped imaginary pass interference. The Bolts had to overcome a lot more than just Manning.
This is wrong. But what the crappy refs DID do is make us challenge LEGIT plays that they should have gotten correct in the first place:D

Did anybody else listen to Sirius NFL Radio yesterday, and the interview with Chargers inside linebacker Cooper?

They were asking him about how well the Chargers D did against Manning and he admitted that they knew Manning's calls and checks at the line, and that when he signaled something, they knew what he was calling.

I guess LT meant it when he said if you aint' cheatin' you ain't tryin. :)

O.K., I'm not saying anybody was cheating, but I'm am saying I hope our Patriots change their signals.

Willcotts was one of the interviewers and after Cooper left, I detected a bit of surprise regarding Cooper's comments. Anybody else happen to catch that?
it's true, we cheat , but NE's too smart to cheat against so it won't matter on sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore