PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers Replay/Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a great win...but as Fitzy put it, MAYBE it wasn't worth it (knowing what was to come).

It would take a lot more than that for me to wish the Pats had lost the Chargers game.

they didnt put anyone on anyone..we played the sides

samuel played left the whole game

hobbs faced both guys as did Asante..

first series i remember clearly that Hobbs was right side with Parker.

It wasn't a straight man. What I mean is that Hobbs was on Jackson a lot more than I ever saw Samuel on him during that game. Are you just going off memory or did you watch the replay? I just watched the replay of the game tonight and Hobbs was covering Jackson a lot, while Samuel was covering Parker a lot. I remembered it that way as well, but watching the game tonight reconfirmed a few things.

Last edited:
It wasn't a straight man. What I mean is that Hobbs was on Jackson a lot more than I ever saw Samuel on him during that game. Are you just going off memory or did you watch the replay? I just watched the replay of the game tonight and Hobbs was covering Jackson a lot, while Samuel was covering Parker a lot. I remembered it that way as well, but watching the game tonight reconfirmed a few things.

well im going by memory but correct me if im wrong..Samuel pretty much stayed on the left side.

so its not like we went man to man and moved them around to match the Chargers. i didnt see any following. Chargers chose to line Jackson on Hobbs, then that was it. when they let him play the right WR spot..Samuel was there on his left side of defense as usual

i think it was more of us just letting Chargers line up any way they want. Plus Parker is/was a better receiver than Jackson even though Jackson has the tools and upside

Last edited:
well im going by memory but correct me if im wrong..Samuel pretty much stayed on the left side.

so its not like we went man to man and moved them around to match the Chargers. i didnt see any following. Chargers chose to line Jackson on Hobbs, then that was it. when they let him play the right WR spot..Samuel was there on his left side of defense as usual

i think it was more of us just letting Chargers line up any way they want. Plus Parker is/was a better receiver than Jackson even though Jackson has the tools and upside

I'm not argueing why they were on who they were on. I simply think Jackson was the hardest to cover out of the two especially for either Samuel or Hobbs. Hobbs happened to be on him. Parker struggled at times during that game, and it wasn't just when he was facing Samuel either. Also, I don't think Samuel could have tipped that pass away from Jackson, so NE was lucky to have Hobbs on him for that game.

For all of you who have said, "This game wasn't worth it because of what was to come". , that seems so silly to me.

Yea, did the win come at a price (travel, energy, emotionally taxed)? Absolutely.

Did the win get our hopes up thinking that winds of destiny were at our back and in the end, it was just one big letdown? Yes.

Just so I can understand your thinking, are you saying that you would rather have seen the Pats lose to SD and not enjoy the win and at least the off the charts anexity of last January?

Last edited:
See I was more disappointed after the Denver loss because the Pats would have faced Pittsburgh at home and then Seattle in the SuperBowl - easily winnable. Plus that Ben Watson/Champ Bailey debacle which should have been a touchback effecively ended the streak (10 straight playoff wins). Last year, the Chargers, Colts and Ravens were all better than the Pats.

The Ravens we not a better team than the Pats last year. We've always done well vs McNair. Lewis was done as their RB. Their WRs sucked.

Colts yes. The beat us twice.

SD, very close to call. If Troy doesn't force the fumble, we lose. But he did. We made the plays in a pressure-packed setting. SD didn't. Reacting and performing under pressue is a key metric that determines great teams from good teams.

We did win the game and that's what should determine who is better. In hindsight, were the 2001 Rams better than the 2001 Pats?
Time has prooven that 2001 Pats team had a HoF QB, HoF DE (Seymour) a borderline HoF CB (Law) and HoF coach and Patriot HoFs in Bruschi, Milloy, Vrable, Brown, Light, etc...

My .02$

Last edited:
There is no question that the Chargers avoided Samuel in that game.

Some of that was probably how well he was playing.

Some of it was probably their belief that the other side of the Pats pass defense is manned by Hobbs who the Chargers think of as (quoting Phillip Rivers) "the sorriest corner in the league."

Last edited:
Maybe Seattle, not Pittsburgh though. The Steelers were on fire in the playoffs, it would have been a tough game to win.

As for this year, who even knows what personnel we would have had on the field against Chicago?

EDIT: The common thread in our last 2 playoff losses is that I felt better about our chances of winning during the game than before it - that's what really stings.

It just goes to show how good we really are (not quite good enough the past two years), how close we were (only counts in horseshoes) and, most important - going forward - how great our chances are this year.

This year, I want to dominate, so there is no chance of a bad call or fluke stopping us.

There is no question that the Chargers avoided Samuel in that game.

Some of that was probably how well he was playing.

Some of it was probably their belief that the other side of the Pats pass defense is manned by Hobbs who the Chargers think of as (quoting Phillip Rivers) "the sorriest corner in the league."
I remember Hobbs being picked on and Samuel being avoided, which I think means the Chargers focused on Asante's Jets game and the stats from the season, and didn't dig in deep enough to watch how Hobbs played as a rookie. I don't know if Asante shutdown Parker, but Hobbs stripped two 6'5" players, one classified as a TE stud, to keep the Pats D in that game. I was darned proud of both CBs and laugh everytime I recall Rivers' whining at the end of the game...not to mention LdT's postgame.

I remember Hobbs being picked on and Samuel being avoided, which I think means the Chargers focused on Asante's Jets game and the stats from the season, and didn't dig in deep enough to watch how Hobbs played as a rookie. I don't know if Asante shutdown Parker, but Hobbs stripped two 6'5" players, one classified as a TE stud, to keep the Pats D in that game. I was darned proud of both CBs and laugh everytime I recall Rivers' whining at the end of the game...not to mention LdT's postgame.

Don't forget Hobb's swatting away one potential TD and being in position to force another potential TD to be just a hair too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes