PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Changes to be made for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dillon?

It seems that Cory Dillon was not a threat this past year. Do you think that was due to his injury or was the offensive line not opening holes big enough for him?

stcjones said:
he [Vinatieri] is awful on kickoffs ...

I don't agree. This season Adam kicked off deeper than ever. I watched thinking "Steroids?" In the post-season he stopped kicking so deep, but before that, he had added 4 yards this year.

Here's one for you, trade for a backup RB to address RB of the future. Two guys I really like (although I am not sure of their pass rush pickup skills)... Ladell Betts and Michael Turner. Both Washington and SD are good to go at RB and we should be able to grab one of these guys for a 3rd? or later pick.

Anyone else in?

I'd also LOVE to see 1 stud lineman added to the right, with Kaczur at RT and not a fan of Neal.

Other spots are ILB, SS, OLD, CB in that order I do believe. Those are in order of Need, not draft position!

shirtsleeve said:
I'll off set inside quotes

very aware of the difference. 4-3 mlb is a much different job. it was a symantics error on my part. and its defense, not offense :D

Thanks for picking up my error there. :p

shirtsleeve said:
id bring brown to camp, let him tryout for the outside, and if he plays anywhere near the level he used to on outside, id keep him for depth.
Keeping Brown for depth takes away a developmental spot for a young LB. One of the biggest qualms people have had is the age of our LBs. Yet you are advocating keeping one who will be 36 to start next season. Granted, he did well in the Nickel and Dime packages, but that was as an ILB. Maybe its time that we cut bait on TBC, then.

shirtsleeve said:
ok, ok. so there is a need for a third tight end. not a place to dump a lot of cap, though. lets see if these guys can stay healthy this season, all season. if not, maybe a change needs to be made. but lets give them that chance.

Who said anything about dumping a lot of cap space into this? Not me. I am looking for a 4th or 5th, possibly a 6th round pick for a 3rd TE/FB type player. One guy who I think would be tremendous at this position is Matt Bernstein. He is a great FB. However, he also runs good routes, has good hands, run blocks, pass blocks and picks up the blitz very well. And he's pretty athletic. I think he would the the ideal #1FB/#3 TE.

shirtsleeve said:
yup. not part of the 45 man roster and is listed with the injury report, like he isnt active, unless used. then #1 and#2 cant be used. just my personal opinion that we dont tie up much cap here either. and they are part of the 53 man roster. so i would rather not carry a third. bb always has. so you will see us bring in a third. doesn't mean we have a need here, which is what the original question was. see, i think Cassel would be a fine#2. so lets get a vet fa for #3.

Again, never said we needed to break the bank here. A Vet FA like Damon Huard would be awesome. He already knows the system and will know what is expected of him. Probably would be the #2 with Cassel as the #3 behind Brady to help the kid develop more.

shirtsleeve said:
like you say about db's would it be nice, sure. do we need one, nah.

ol is where we spend some of that valuable cap to keep these guys. especially neal. but that wont be nearly as expensive as trying to pay givens. it all starts up front. and as long as they dont get stupid in a bidding war, keep em.

Ashworth is a very valuable commodity on the open market. He's a veteran who has shown he can play both LT and RT at an above average level. Neal has shown he can be a road grader at times and I think he will also see an offer similar to that of Andruzzi's from last year.

If I am the Pats, I let them both walk and bring in cheaper help. Having Light and Kaczur at the tackles with Koppen back in the middle will hide much of the issue at RG. Whether its Hochstein or another player. Also, there are rumors that Britt could be at RT and Kaczur at RG. If that happened, this line could be devestating.

shirtsleeve said:
this is where i will always disagree. on every point. except that these people draw way to much money on the fa market. there are potential future stars at db in the draft this year. williams is one. this is where i would draft again.

i dont care about how tatupu played on the seahawks this year either. but it doesn't take his season away, does it? yeah, law got caught a bit for pi, but he also made a huge difference in the backfield. is he the dominant force of three years ago? no. now im not saying we go get him. just lets spend the draft choices here first. a brutal secondary is what we dont have anymore. it stands between a good d with a solid front 7 and one of the best d's in the league.

Not saying to NOT draft a DB. I am saying that the Patriots have to make decisions on the players they have currently. Specifically, they need to make decisions on Starks, Poole, Stone, Hawkins, G. Scott, C. Scott, and R. Gay. Then they can make decisions about what they need and don't need and go into the draft and free agency from there.

shirtsleeve said:
the bowl is meaningless. but playing to that calibur, like many on this team do, isnt. how does rodney not make the thing last year? you tell me.

so, to sum it up, i guess im saying we dedicate our first day draft choices at linebacker, defensive back, and wide reciever. places like qb, and te, are great places to get some experience at short dollars through fa, for back ups. day 2 may be a place for a rb. and o line is where we pay some $ to keep em, and solidify the offense. oh, yeah, lets flip a few pennies at a certain dl too. baby face richard would like some love. he earned it.

Well, I think that we agree regarding LB (whether it be OLB or ILB). Getting some secondary help should probably also happen day 1. Not sure about WR help, though Johnathan Orr, Maurice Stovall, and Todd Watkins are all projected day 1 players. RB probably could be had at the end of day 1 or day 2. TE/FB is a definite day 2. I think that a day 1 O-LINE (OT /OG specifically) would be awesome and a huge help. A day 2 O-line (OG/C) should also be looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore