PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson or Troy Brown- possible decision for Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some talk about Chad Jackson being cut as if this is a threat. He would be happy to be cut. He has received his bonus money. He can get it again from someone else. He certainly would receive more than what the patriots are obligateed to pay him. The only threat to his career is IR, which would go to arbitration.

Anyone else starting to worry that all these "What will we do with ALL THESE WIDE RECEIVERS" threads is bound to jinx us, injury-wise?

Some talk about Chad Jackson being cut as if this is a threat. He would be happy to be cut. He has received his bonus money. He can get it again from someone else. He certainly would receive more than what the patriots are obligateed to pay him. The only threat to his career is IR, which would go to arbitration.

Pretty short-sighted in my view. Getting cut NOW would make CJ pretty lame damaged goods. I'm not saying there aren't teams that would scoop him up, but I don't think he'd see it as cavalierly as you do. The best thing for Chad Jackson's career is to get on the field with the Patriots. He's not going to be RUINED by being cut, but it's certainly not something he'd be pleased about.

Are you shooting for some kind of record for "off-the-wall, baseless posts in the first month of a football season" or something?

I don't see him getting cut this year, but at the same time, he needs to show up for the games and put up some numbers upon being activated this year. If not, then not much seperates him from say Tuna's Kevin Lee.

The way I see it, Chad Jackson is Belichick's attempt, prior to signing Moss and Stallworth, to fill the super quick WR who provides the deep threat and backs teams off the LOS.

We tried, and failed, to fill that need with Bethel Johnson.

I think Moss is here to show us what he has with the view to resigning him to a multi-year contract - Stallworth is very much here to put himself in the shop windows for other teams at the end of the season - we can't (or won't) keep both of these guys.

So, Chad in Troy out for now.

Washington has a future here also I feel, possibly at the expense of Gaffney, again at the end of the season.

As much as I love Troy Brown and everything he has done for the Pats I just dont see where he would fill in here if there are no injuries. Welker has been the man in the slot/possesion receiver role. With injuries and age Brown isnt going to be running down covering kicks and punts even though Im sure he would. As far as Jackson goes if the Pats are 6-0 and the passing game is like it is now they are not going to throw in a project in the middle of a great season. Unless there are injuries I see them both being IR'd with Brown possibly retiring. Who cares about Jackson's agent. He has done nothing for the Patriots so he does not have much leverage

How much bonus money did Bethel and Gaffney and Caldwell and Washington get on their second deals? How long did they last? Which stop are most of them on now?

BTW Chad didn't get any signing bonus money. He got a roster bonus in 2006 and was due an option bonus this year that he may or may not have received (because it may instead have been guaranteed via his 2007-2009 salaries or who knows as in Dillon's case it could have been subject to deferral). I remember when people used to opine that Bethel and PK would never be cut because of their $$ value benefit. If you aren't able to contribute to the team on the field, at some point your $$ value benefit becomes sunk cost because the roster spot itself is more valuable.

I hope the kid makes it. I'm not holding my breath. And I'm not interested in salvaging 2 more years of potential at the expense of this years team. I'll be fine with whatever BB decides to do though.

Last edited:
I agree with all you say. I expect that we'll keep as long we think he has a future. At some point the roster spot is indeed more important that keeping a developmental inexpensive prospect. I just don't think the time is now.

How much bonus money did Bethel and Gaffney and Caldwell and Washington get on their second deals? How long did they last? Which stop are most of them on now?

BTW Chad didn't get any signing bonus money. He got a roster bonus in 2006 and was due an option bonus this year that he may or may not have received (because it may instead have been guaranteed via his 2007-2009 salaries or who knows as in Dillon's case it could have been subject to deferral). I remember when people used to opine that Bethel and PK would never be cut because of their $$ value benefit. If you aren't able to contribute to the team on the field, at some point your $$ value benefit becomes sunk cost because the roster spot itself is more valuable.

I hope the kid makes it. I'm not holding my breath. And I'm not interested in salvaging 2 more years of potential at the expense of this years team. I'll be fine with whatever BB decides to do though.

There's no way we can take Troy over Chad. Troy has been amazing, but seriously. There's no way you take a player about to retire over a second round draft pick a year ago.

1) I don't think that we will cut Chad Jackson. His additional cost for two and 1/2 years is minimal. And I don't think he's injured, so get used to his name on the roster.

2) When Jackson is added, I see no reason to cut a wide receiver. There is likely to be someone at the bottom of the roster to cut or put on IR by then (or put back to the Practice Squad).

3) I don't think Troy Brown's future is linked to that of Chad Jackson. Either Troy Brown is more valuable to this team than Gaffney or Washington or he is not. Or if Troy Brown is still considered a defensive back, perhaps he is better than our bottom defensive back. I don't see it but others have more information than I woth regard to Troy's skills at this point in his career, AFTER his recent injury.

I agree with all three points. One of the few times I've agreed with you the past few weeks.

Troy Brown has given his heart and soul to this team. He is a known commodity.

Chad Bethel Jackson has had a flash or two. Can we trade him? He could probably land us a 3rd or 4th anyway.

The way I see it, Chad Jackson is Belichick's attempt, prior to signing Moss and Stallworth, to fill the super quick WR who provides the deep threat and backs teams off the LOS.

We tried, and failed, to fill that need with Bethel Johnson.

I think Moss is here to show us what he has with the view to resigning him to a multi-year contract - Stallworth is very much here to put himself in the shop windows for other teams at the end of the season - we can't (or won't) keep both of these guys.

So, Chad in Troy out for now.

Washington has a future here also I feel, possibly at the expense of Gaffney, again at the end of the season.

That is not entirely accurate, and shows you don't truly know all that much about Chad Jackson. He is fast and can spread the field but he impressed BB with a few other things he brought to the table.

C-Jax is intelligent and and when questioning his memory of plays the Patriots had given him during a prior meeting Chad had them all memorized perfectly.

Playing under Urban Meyer Jackson got a lot of time lined up in the slot, and was able to work the middle of the field more than your average WR.

He had very good hands in college and cought 88 passes his last year.

Good route runner with burst after the cut.

Jackson was a team captain in HS and an offensive team leader in Florida during his last year.

And Chad was very durable throughout his college career. It's to bad this hasn't been the case so far at the beginning of his NFL career.

I point all these things out so you'll understand why BB wanted him, the fact that I believe BB believed him to be kind of "the complete" WR and why he wanted him enough to spend both a second and third round pick for him.

These are all reasons I wanted the Patriots to draft him too. It'd be nice if Jackson can get healthy and stay on the field because I really think he has the ability (both physically and mentally) to perform in the NFL.

If Chad Jackson had been paying attention as a Patriot, he would not be giving media interviews like this after 12 catches in the NFL.

Let's run through the WR list again:

1. Moss -- likely to re-up for the long term. Has been praised extensively by pretty much everybody.
2. Welker -- signed for the long term. Is frequently praised by Brady.
3. Stallworth -- probably too expensive to re-sign, given #1 and #2.
4. Jackson -- the only other blazing-speed receiver after Moss, if #3 is correct. Distinguished college career, not a proven failure in the pros. Too valuable an asset to throw away.
5. Gaffney -- solid possession receiver. Evidently a quick study given how soon he was productive last season. Lacking in special skills (e.g., STs). Somebody a team might settle for reluctantly as a #3, and would be fairly happy to get as a #4. Has been praised publicly by BB.
6. Washington -- a good athlete overall. But his role seems to be to cover kicks, to block on offensive snaps, and generally to do anything except catch passes. Andrews, Mitchell, Meriweather, Jackson (if healthy), et al. can cover kicks. Washington is eminently replaceable, especially with Dave Thomas healthy to take on "blocking receiver" duties.
7. Brown -- the only real backup we have for Welker.

So I think Jackson and Brown both stop Taking It Easy (sorry, couldn't resist) and get activated, while Washington gets cut.

Next draft the Pats hope to pick up a young Brown/Welker type. Stallworth walks. Brown retires. Gaffney may or may not re-up. Bam and Kight may or may not have serious shots at making the bottom of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft