PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson or Troy Brown- possible decision for Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to this article, Chad Jackson will be ready to play when he is eligible to return after week 6.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/SPORTS/709270401

It sounds like his agent is making a public statement because he doesn't want Chad to be IR'd for the rest of the season (then there is the NFLPA to deal with if this is the case.)

So if it comes down to Jackson or Brown, which one would you add to the active roster?

Sadly, Chad !

He was a high pick with potential, we have to get him out there and give him one more year to prove his worth.

I don't think either will IR'd, if Troy is ready, they'll cut someone else

I love the Troyster but no doubt his best days are gone and Jackson is the future here at WR IMO and he needs to get as much on the field NOW as possible,We may not have Moss or Stalworth next season so we need him to have played in some games this year so he is ready come week 1 next year

I seriously doubt we keep Moss AND Stallworth so Jackson will be a starter at 1 of the WR positions next season barring any other injury or unless he does crap which should not be the case.

I would love to see him get some serious play once we clinch our division which should be farily early and to see what he can do opposite Moss or Stallworth.

I would like to see Troy remain on the team in some way but I think his role at WR will be rare if any,But he does deserve another SB ring if the team is fortunate enough to get #4

Sadly, Chad !

He was a high pick with potential, we have to get him out there and give him one more year to prove his worth.

I don't think either will IR'd, if Troy is ready, they'll cut someone else

Troy can play nickel back, but still he is primarily a receiver. That would leave us with:

Moss
Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Washington
Jackson
Brown

I don't see both of them making it without cutting Washington.

It's all good. I know most agree but I think Jackson will be activated to replace Gaffney and Brown will be the 6th WR and utility guy. Of course Gaff's roster spot would be saved if there were WR injuries. I think we'll keep Washington for ST play and also as a possible re-structure in the offseason and Chad's signed for two more years.

I got ripped for saying it before but Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Washington, Jackson, Brown is fine and as solid and reliable as Gaff has been, with him unsigned after this year and not playing ST I think others move him out.

Glad to see he feels better.

Anyone hear anything about Seymour? It's not necessarily a done deal that week 6 comes and he's back.

It's all good. I know most agree but I think Jackson will be activated to replace Gaffney and Brown will be the 6th WR and utility guy. Of course Gaff's roster spot would be saved if there were WR injuries. I think we'll keep Washington for ST play and also as a possible re-structure in the offseason and Chad's signed for two more years.

I got ripped for saying it before but Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Washington, Jackson, Brown is fine and as solid and reliable as Gaff has been, with him unsigned after this year and not playing ST I think others move him out.

Jackson contributes on coverage teams and he's a good kick returner so I think he'd more likely replace Washington than Gaffney. For the record I'd like to keep both Gaffney and Washington though. If the Patriots cut one of either Washington or Gaffney and bring in both Chad and Troy off the PUP they would be carrying 6 WR's which is a lot but a number that I believe to be an option. Some might not like to hear this but we also have to think there's at least a chance Troy will not be activated. Obviously even though Jackson seems to be getting healthy in time he still might get IR'd as well.

Most accounts say that Seymour looks fine to the casual oberver--no brace/limp/etc.--but of course that's different than being ready to play. My guess is that they'll ease him back for a couple of weeks, and he'll be up to speed by week 9 or 10.

Glad to see he feels better.

Anyone hear anything about Seymour? It's not necessarily a done deal that week 6 comes and he's back.

He wouldn't be back until after week 6 at the earliest. From what I understand Seymour hasn't been wearing the protective gear on his leg anymore and from some of his recent quotes it sounds like he plans on being ready to go.

As much as any of us appreciate and love what Troy has done for the Pats, this organization has proven itself time and time again to do the thing that's best for the future of the organization rather than the sentimental thing, and therefore Chad is the pick if it's between those two (given the possibilities of Chad contributing over the long term).

Having said that, I hope there are a set of circumstances that allow the Pats to keep Troy as well, and there is always the chance that someone else gets injured (not hoping for that, but it's always possible).

Troy Brown is probably one of my three all time favorite Patriots and I have a huge amount of appreciation for him...but you can't cut a guy with Jackson's potential for a guy who is in what will likely be the last season of his career.

Troy Brown is probably one of my three all time favorite Patriots and I have a huge amount of appreciation for him...but you can't cut a guy with Jackson's potential for a guy who is in what will likely be the last season of his career.
IMO you create the spot for Jackson by cutting Washington or, preferably to me, Gaffney. Then we could keep Brown as a #6 WR in place of, say, Chad Brown. Of course, that's assuming everyone stays healthy.

1) I don't think that we will cut Chad Jackson. His additional cost for two and 1/2 years is minimal. And I don't think he's injured, so get used to his name on the roster.

2) When Jackson is added, I see no reason to cut a wide receiver. There is likely to be someone at the bottom of the roster to cut or put on IR by then (or put back to the Practice Squad).

3) I don't think Troy Brown's future is linked to that of Chad Jackson. Either Troy Brown is more valuable to this team than Gaffney or Washington or he is not. Or if Troy Brown is still considered a defensive back, perhaps he is better than our bottom defensive back. I don't see it but others have more information than I woth regard to Troy's skills at this point in his career, AFTER his recent injury.

I like that Jackson is buddying up with Moss, hopefully he can learn some important nuances of the position. This year's WR corps has some really good role models and lessons to learn from for a very talented high second round pick who has been rumoured to have had problems with studying and preparation. There are guys who have been in the same position (high picks, seemingly underachievers) in Stallworth, Washington, and Gaffney to an extent, as well as a high pick who met his potential (to a degree) and also has made mistakes in Moss and two guys who didn't come into the league with much fanfare but have worked their way to become very important players on their teams in Welker and Brown. Jackson should learn a lot about the on and off-the-field aspects of playing WR in the NFL this year, and it can only help in his development (the most important thing being, of course, that he gets healthy and works with one of the hardest working guys in the league... Tom Brady).

That being said, I think that if both come back later in the season, and everyone stays healthy, Gaffney will be gone. Brown can come in for four wide sets, negating Gaffney's role in that regard. The other aspect of that, though, is that Gaffney also provides a valuable back up to Stallworth and Moss on the outside, but if both of those guys are really contributing and healthy that might be less valuable to the team. If it's just Jackson, I think Washington's toast, because of Jackson's ST play. Who knows, really? The whole situation can change in the next few weeks, too (knock on wood), but I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

IMO you create the spot for Jackson by cutting Washington or, preferably to me, Gaffney. Then we could keep Brown as a #6 WR in place of, say, Chad Brown. Of course, that's assuming everyone stays healthy.

It's a tough decision...glad I'm not making it. All I know is I've been on the CJ bandwagon for a while and am not leaving anytime soon. I still think that he can contribute a lot on this roster.

It's a tough decision...glad I'm not making it.
It is, there's no easy answer. I figure Belichick figures something will happen between now and then that will make the answer a lot easier - and if it doesn't then we just make a tough decision.

I think our 3rd QB (Gutierrez) might get the axe in order to make room for Jackson. I think Jackson is more valuable to this team than him plus BB always has good ole' Vinny on speed dial.

BB has said that Brown has a spot on this team and I don't think that BB would put that out there if it weren't true.

According to this article, Chad Jackson will be ready to play when he is eligible to return after week 6.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/SPORTS/709270401

It sounds like his agent is making a public statement because he doesn't want Chad to be IR'd for the rest of the season (then there is the NFLPA to deal with if this is the case.)

So if it comes down to Jackson or Brown, which one would you add to the active roster?

Which ever one I believe helps give me the best chance to win this season.

None of our PUP players is getting activated for week 7 pending catesrophic injury. All will likely get activated between week 7 and 8 to assess whether or not they are PAP so to speak. If they all are the ones who get activated first if at all are those who also show in practice, in conjunction with their body of work, that they are ready to step in a fill a role that might well open up between week 9-the Superbowl better than one of the last 8-10 guys on the roster today.

It will be tough to get the necessary reps to make your case absent a body of work.

The agent of a player 2 years in to a 4 year deal who has yet to attend a training camp can bluster all he wants about what he thinks is best for his player. Won't influence the process here at all, unless it adversely influences it. One of the knocks on Chad was/is it takes him a year to book learn a new system before he can put it together on the field. If he were to somehow demand they play him or cut him rather tha IR him if that is what they believe is in his and this teams better interest, he could be in for a rude awakening. The NFL is littered with day 1 drafted WR's who failed to crack the roster of the team that drafted them, for whatever reason, who become JAGS bouncing from annual tryout to tryout because past that first team they seldom get second and third year chances to prove they can pull it together. I doubt that kind of outcome would be helpful to CJ's development.

37Harrison said:
I think our 3rd QB (Gutierrez) might get the axe in order to make room for Jackson. I think Jackson is more valuable to this team than him plus BB always has good ole' Vinny on speed dial.

BB has said that Brown has a spot on this team and I don't think that BB would put that out there if it weren't true.

I agree on Brown. Things can change, but at least well into camp he still saw a "role" for Brown on this team.

Disagree on Gutierrez. While it's hard to make your case absent first team reps, a 3rd string QB can advance his cause substantially by doing such a nice job running the scout team he gets named a practice player of the week.

Moss
Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Washington
Jackson
Brown

I don't see both of them making it without cutting Washington.
The guy's contract being what it is after this year, why prolong the inevitable and what does he offer to the team other than ST coverage where Mel Mitchell excelled in his place last week?

Last edited:
Get rid of those Gator receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill