PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CELTICS / Lakers Game Five

I'm not much of a basketball guy (I was a C's fan years ago, watched with my grandparents when I was young, and freely admit to not paying a huge amount of attention during the last few years)...but it seems to me that Jackson just doesn't have the ...drive? Will? Killer instinct? There just doesn't seem to be any real urgency from him. Apparently (judging from his book) he doesn't like Kobe much, and Kobe sure is no MJ. And it also seems like the rest of the team doesn't like Kobe all that much either...does anyone else see this or am I imagining things?
i don't think you can tell anything by the way a coach looks. i cant stand the guy but he seems the same as hes always been to me. Kobe isn't and never will be Jordan. as time goes by people always diminish and forget just how great players like Jordan bird magic were. Kobe isn't Jordan on his best day.

You know what would be more embarrasing than giving up a 24 point lead?

Losing a series up 3-1.

Not over yet folks, don't take this game for granted. I want it done Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080614

By Chris Ramsay
ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- Perhaps he was being guided by the Zen proverb, "Those who know don't tell. Those who tell don't know."

But the Zen master Phil Jackson wasn't telling on Friday afternoon.

He would not say what would be motivating Kobe Bryant when his Lakers play the Celtics in an NBA Finals elimination game at the Staples Center on Sunday.

Jackson simply said, "Read the transcripts."

Hidden somewhere in the written text of the Celtics interviews after Game 4 are the magic words that will supposedly inspire Bryant, the NBA's Most Valuable Player.

It's "what Garnett said." It will "weigh strongly with Kobe," Jackson said.

A search of the Kevin Garnett interview transcripts did not provide any obvious answers.

Maybe Kobe will be motivated by Garnett saying, "He can taste it" … as in an NBA championship. Or maybe it is Garnett saying, "The [next] two days are preparation up to closing it out Sunday." Or perhaps it was something complimentary, like when Garnett said, "A player like Kobe, you're not going to stop him. He has too much stuff in his arsenal."

We can't know what it was for sure. We can't know what will make Kobe play better on Sunday.

And maybe he won't play better.

Either way, with Jackson "telling" or "not telling" we had our first real Zen moment of the NBA Finals on Friday afternoon.

It's a good thing too, because the Finals might be over in two days when the team facing a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals might be thinking of another proverb.

"Life is like stepping onto a boat that is about to sail out to sea and sink."
what the hell is jackson talking about ?

i don't think you can tell anything by the way a coach looks. i cant stand the guy but he seems the same as hes always been to me. Kobe isn't and never will be Jordan. as time goes by people always diminish and forget just how great players like Jordan bird magic were. Kobe isn't Jordan on his best day.

Phil Jackson is way overrated as a coach. Kobe has never won an NBA championship as 'the' guy. Pride, you are dead on in regards to people diminishing great players from the past. Garnett is a tenacious player, the DPY, a great scorer, but Russell would smoke him. Nobody ever talks about Havilcek, maybe because of Bird, but that guy was a phenom. Oscar Robertson only averaged a triple double. If there was a fantasy draft of players past and present, Kobe might make some type of honorable mention.

Phil Jackson is way overrated as a coach. Kobe has never won an NBA championship as 'the' guy. Pride, you are dead on in regards to people diminishing great players from the past. Garnett is a tenacious player, the DPY, a great scorer, but Russell would smoke him. Nobody ever talks about Havilcek, maybe because of Bird, but that guy was a phenom. Oscar Robertson only averaged a triple double. If there was a fantasy draft of players past and present, Kobe might make some type of honorable mention.

Do you suppose we also tend to romanticize players from the past? You really think Russel would smoke KG? I don't know if he would or not--I never got a chance to see Russel play every day (that I remember anyway...when did he retire?).

Oscar Robertson only averaged a triple double. .

I used to love watching the "Big O" play ... even as a kid his talent & will to win were very evident. He didn't look like much but he sure could play.

I used to love watching the "Big O" play ... even as a kid his talent & will to win were very evident. He didn't look like much but he sure could play.
bernard king george gervin paul westphal were also excellent. the nba is a lot more watered down now. there used to be a lot more great players back in the 70s and the 80s .every team had at least one outstsanding player

Phil just desperately grasping for buelitin board material.

That is one hell of a sig. :D

For me the biggest question is does Doc try to win this or does he play it safe ... that is give the bench lots of playing time. Phil Jackson has his hands full because he really does not have a clue as to what the Celtics will do here.

Well .. I have 1 prediction that will drive Phil over the edge ... Posey will start at small forward as Pierce plays guard with Allen. Then, leon Powe comes in as a sub for Posey ... Phil will go nuts ... :p Doc will leave his 3 shooters out there with Powe and Brown ... it will be funny.

I think how much the bench plays with be dependent on the extent of the injuries to Pierce, Perk and Rondo. Based on reports I don't expect to see Perk. On the other hand, I can't imagine much holding Pierce back from playing.

Do you suppose we also tend to romanticize players from the past? You really think Russel would smoke KG? I don't know if he would or not--I never got a chance to see Russel play every day (that I remember anyway...when did he retire?).

With all due respect to KG, whom I think is the model NBA player, Russell was the original freak athlete. I chose KG because of his superior play, his height and intensity, not sure if Russell would play center today. Russell broke a record in the high jump while in college (I believe it was 6'9"), rebounds included 51 in a game, 32 in a half, 40 in 3 separate playoff games, NBA finals record for most rebounds-40, finals record for quarter-19. He played 11 deciding games and was 11-0 averaging 18 points and 29 rebounds. As great a rebounder that he was, IMO, he was a better shot blocker (no record keeping in those days). Red stated, that 9 out of 10 Russell blocks went to a team mate. To be the best defensive player of the year is a great honor, to be the best defensive player in the history of the league is where you begin with Russell.
The argument that many will have today, is today's players are better athletes and better players. I would argue that very few of today's players are better athletes then Russell was and there may not be one who is more intelligent on the court.

Man It's 12 o'clock here in RI and I'm already jacked up. Luckily .. I get to watch Tiger Woods today ... that will at up some nervous time ... :D

Man It's 12 o'clock here in RI and I'm already jacked up. Luckily .. I get to watch Tiger Woods today ... that will at up some nervous time ... :D

I hear you. Its raining here, which makes it difficult to go and hit golf balls. Trying to find things to do in anticipation of #17.

Ive been on youtube all day looking at clips of the celtics from the 80's

Ive been on youtube all day looking at clips of the celtics from the 80's
Whats better is going out and getting the Celtics Dynasty/History box set. If you weren't alive back in the days of Russell and Cousy or the early 70s with Cowens or the dynasty with Bird and co then it is a great thing to watch. It has everything plus many of the classic games from all of the dynasties.

Whats better is going out and getting the Celtics Dynasty/History box set. If you weren't alive back in the days of Russell and Cousy or the early 70s with Cowens or the dynasty with Bird and co then it is a great thing to watch. It has everything plus many of the classic games from all of the dynasties.
i have almost all the great games of the 80s on tape in beta format if you can believe it. once upon a time there was vhs and beta video recorders.

A little over a hour away.

A little over a hour away.

Chips and Coke are ready and getting really nervous. Go Celtics and I don't want to hear about Kobe again for at least 6 months of more. MVP my ass.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back