McC 73
Ihedigbo 61
Arrington 48
Moore 46
Edelman 27
Moulden 13
Jones 1

Arrington missed 25, Edelman played 27.
And again, aside from his tryout playing 41 snaps vs Buffalo, Edelman went into last week having played 23 snaps in 5 games, and only 34 others in the entire rest of the season before that.
Its really a non-issue. Edelman is not a regular part of the defense.

I get what you're saying, but why was Edelman on the field for the final drive in the game that gets you into the SB with a 3 point cushion? Had Arrington left the game again?

And at that point if they really don't consider him part of the defensive package why wouldn't they just keep Ihedigbo at S and use Moore as the nickle instead of rotating McCourty to safety when Moore comes in?

I just heard Tom Jackson say that Eli Manning may have to worry about the New England defense and highlighted Ninkovich in particular saying he's really brought his game up (special sauce as they called it -- meaning he's focring lots of sacks and fumbles).

Saying it to motivate the Giants.

I get what you're saying, but why was Edelman on the field for the final drive in the game that gets you into the SB with a 3 point cushion? Had Arrington left the game again?

And at that point if they really don't consider him part of the defensive package why wouldn't they just keep Ihedigbo at S and use Moore as the nickle instead of rotating McCourty to safety when Moore comes in?

I just rewatched, and we were in 6 DBs for that drive, something we don't do much of.
They did keep Ihedigbo in, used 3 safeties (McC was at safety and Chung was kind of a nickel LB) Arrington and Moore on the outside and Edelman in the slot with lots of help. And by the way, they completed 1 pass on Edelman.

We aren't going to be playing 6 DBs unless its a 2 minute drill and even then, Edelman isnt going to be on an island with Cruz or Nicks.

I just rewatched, and we were in 6 DBs for that drive, something we don't do much of.
They did keep Ihedigbo in, used 3 safeties (McC was at safety and Chung was kind of a nickel LB) Arrington and Moore on the outside and Edelman in the slot with lots of help. And by the way, they completed 1 pass on Edelman.

We aren't going to be playing 6 DBs unless its a 2 minute drill and even then, Edelman isnt going to be on an island with Cruz or Nicks.

That makes a lot more sense then, the fact that we were in a dime set.

I didn't read any of those nonsense articles. The game will be decided on the field.

DB snaps
Chung 73/73
McC 73
Ihedigbo 61
Arrington 48
Moore 46
Edelman 27
Moulden 13
Jones 1

Arrington missed 25, Edelman played 27.
And again, aside from his tryout playing 41 snaps vs Buffalo, Edelman went into last week having played 23 snaps in 5 games, and only 34 others in the entire rest of the season before that.
Its really a non-issue. Edelman is not a regular part of the defense.

Ah Grasshopper you have learned well at the feet of Sun Tsu

The best line out of all of those ****ty articles was:

The Patriots atomized the Broncos 45-10.

You guys think you have it bad in the US? Try watching a Super Bowl preview here in Quebec. They had 2 CFLers and one ex-member of the Giants practice squad analyze the game and here are some of the things they said.

"Aaron Hernandez is only a rookie, or is he a second-year player? That being said, he doesn't have the experience of a Rob Gronkowski.

"Bill Belichick made his name as an offensive genius."

"When you have Patrick Chung as a starter, you can't win anything. Who even knows who Patrick Chung is?" <--- The worst part is that everybody on the panel agreed.

"The Patriots secondary, that lost Rodney Harrison to retirement, doesn't have the personnel needed to make interceptions" <--- We were top 5 in that category, weren't we?

--------

Not only they essentially repeated the stupid crap said south of the border, but they've made SEVERAL factual errors about both teams. I'm sure that between the three of them, they didn't watch more than 3 Patriots games...

I don't like the US media more than you guys do, but I prefer Tom Jackson's hatred to this gong show. I was so happy to see a sports show talking about something else than the stupid Montreal Canadiens (I'm from Quebec City, I can't like those *****es). Well, in the end, they probably should have kept talking about the Habs, because they obviously don't know **** about the NFL.

You guys think you have it bad in the US? Try watching a Super Bowl preview here in Quebec. They had 2 CFLers and one ex-member of the Giants practice squad analyze the game and here are some of the things they said.

"Aaron Hernandez is only a rookie, or is he a second-year player? That being said, he doesn't have the experience of a Rob Gronkowski.

"Bill Belichick made his name as an offensive genius."

"When you have Patrick Chung as a starter, you can't win anything. Who even knows who Patrick Chung is?" <--- The worst part is that everybody on the panel agreed.

"The Patriots secondary, that lost Rodney Harrison to retirement, doesn't have the personnel needed to make interceptions" <--- We were top 5 in that category, weren't we?

--------

Not only they essentially repeated the stupid crap said south of the border, but they've made SEVERAL factual errors about both teams. I'm sure that between the three of them, they didn't watch more than 3 Patriots games...

I don't like the US media more than you guys do, but I prefer Tom Jackson's hatred to this gong show. I was so happy to see a sports show talking about something else than the stupid Montreal Canadiens (I'm from Quebec City, I can't like those *****es). Well, in the end, they probably should have kept talking about the Habs, because they obviously don't know **** about the NFL.

Actually, can you find us some links? It sounds like its quite entertaining up there.

Actually, can you find us some links? It sounds like its quite entertaining up there.

It was a preview show on French TV. If you understand French, I'll see if I can find some videos. If you don't, well, you're lucky haha.

Oh and one of the "anchors" is a fat guy and they spent as much time laughing at the fact he would eat hundreds of chicken wings as they did talking about the actual game. Oh and they're not much better when discussing hockey, they just make less factual errors. They are some of the morons who wanted to send Chara to jail.

Last edited:
Re: Greg Doyel:BB stupid to use Edelman at CB

why must BB persist in being so stubborn!

When is he finally gonna get it, and start reading these articles so he can learn how to coach an NFL team???

First question I had just from reading the thread title:

WHO[edited] the Heck is Doyel?????
If there is any reporter/analyst who is gonna call the grey-hoodie stupid; he better have some kind of credentials (former known player- NOPE, former coach- nope, nationally reconginized media figure with years and years of experience- NOPE). Guess I answered my own question.

Ok so some guy I never heard of writes a story that makes no sense but has a headline that is very enticing to click on (because it sounds so stupid). It must be SB weekend with the 2 wk dry spell on reporting and a chance for some no-name to gain recognition.

by the way; I guess I need to tell those 20 or however many-some guys on the Pats who WERENT EVEN DRAFTED; that they shouldnt even take the field. After all Edelman WASN"T DRAFTED AS A DB. Excuse me....

Exactly how does Cruz or this dumbazz know what he was DRAFTED FOR???? - As I recall Kiper even said before the Pats picked him that he would NEVER PLAY QB in NFL; but he was a GREAT ATHLETE & TALENT; WHO COULD WORK OUT ELSE WHERE.

So what is the difference between him working out as a former QB in a WR, ST or DB slot. Yeah - NONE. It matters what he can do.

And guys saying he has only been doing it since Nov; DONT UNDERSTAND BB. If I remember the story right; BB has been having him practice on/off with the D since pre-season. BB prepares for possible problems and this is his preparation.

Lets see what the Giants would do if their #1 & 3 CB, and a Safety go down in this game. Who would they throw out there and will have had prep time like edeldude had; or do they just go in cold.

Last edited:

He got 3 more facebook "friends" and 2 more followers on Twitter, success.

Last edited:

I understand the negativity from non-fans. After all, he's primarily *not* a DB. The only reason he's in there is BB must consider him more dependable and consistent than whoever is the next option. I admire Edelman's heart for playing the position, and his skill for actually contributing there. But it isn't his position, and that tags him as a weak link which must be tested by experienced opponents.

That said, can he bait Eli? And hasn't Edelman blitzed at least once?

I understand the negativity from non-fans. After all, he's primarily *not* a DB. The only reason he's in there is BB must consider him more dependable and consistent than whoever is the next option. I admire Edelman's heart for playing the position, and his skill for actually contributing there. But it isn't his position, and that tags him as a weak link which must be tested by experienced opponents.

That said, can he bait Eli? And hasn't Edelman blitzed at least once?

He probably wont even be on the field.
His role on the defense?
One of the choices as the 6th DB in the rare cases we go to 6 DBs. Moulden is another choice and it appears which one is in depends upon matchup.
If one of the first 5 is injured, he may play some slot in the nickel.
This adds up to:
27 snaps vs Baltimore when Arrington was injured, and we played dime on the last drive.
41 straight snaps in a tryout in week 17 vs Buffalo.
57 other snaps ALL SEASON.

Ochocinco plays more on offense than Edelman does on defense.
Niko Koutivedes and Sergio Brown will play more snaps on special teams than Edelman plays on defense.
Lousaka Polite will probably play more snaps at FB than Edelman does on D.

I can't imagine a topic that is less likely to have an impact on this game than Julian Edleman playing DB.

Yeah,I don't know why Bill is so stupid to play Edelman when we got Revis sitting on the bench
.....oh wait :rolleyes:

He probably wont even be on the field.
His role on the defense?
One of the choices as the 6th DB in the rare cases we go to 6 DBs. Moulden is another choice and it appears which one is in depends upon matchup.
If one of the first 5 is injured, he may play some slot in the nickel.
This adds up to:
27 snaps vs Baltimore when Arrington was injured, and we played dime on the last drive.
41 straight snaps in a tryout in week 17 vs Buffalo.
57 other snaps ALL SEASON.

Ochocinco plays more on offense than Edelman does on defense.
Niko Koutivedes and Sergio Brown will play more snaps on special teams than Edelman plays on defense.
Lousaka Polite will probably play more snaps at FB than Edelman does on D.

I can't imagine a topic that is less likely to have an impact on this game than Julian Edleman playing DB.

This......... I can't believe how much traction this topic has generated. You'd think we're starting the guy back there at CB and asking him to go one on one on the outside with Nicks. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back