PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS to air new professional football league in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig James came from the USFL

Andy Johnson played in the USFL, but thats no reason to not watch this new league.

No, because the XFL will never get off the ground because the AFF is debuting first. They will likely grab all the 8 major football cities and the market share is just so big. Competing with NBA, NASCAR, NHL, PGA and NCAAB is already an up hill climb.

According to the AFF website most of the primary complaints about the NFL will be addressed. Low ticket prices, reasonable cost of stadium food, less stoppage in play, fewer commercials on TV, fan/player interaction bonuses.

A local player draft. Every region could have guys that were fan favorites in college but just didnt make it to the NFL.
good-luck.jpg

CBS to air new professional football league in 2019 | Daily Mail Online

"On Tuesday, Charlie Ebersol, the son of longtime network executive **** Ebersol, unveiled the Alliance of American Football, which will have a 10-week season and feature eight 50-man rosters. The season will not compete directly will the NFL and will instead be played in the late winter and spring."

"In addition to former Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian, Charlie Ebersol tapped former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu to serve as a player relations executive. Hines Ward, who also played for the Steelers, and former New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck are involved on that end as well."

Hmmm CBS Scene will be interesting

Pain.. Sorry that I missed your post when I started my thread..

Its football at least.

It is. And no doubt that, while it probably won't be for me, it'll draw in some fans. I just can't see it having a long shelf life. The NFL already saturated the market to a negative effect. Plus some of these rules that they're implementing are head scratchers. Furthermore, this seems like a product that's going to be rushed out when it should be thought through a little more carefully. If I'm an investor, I'm leery.

Unless one is a senior citizen, sports is the only reason for the old networks to exist. Maybe they are grasping for new relevant programming.
The top rated cable tv show (Walking Dead) gets half the viewers the top rated broadcast show (NCIS) gets. The fifth rated cable show (Hannity) gets 1/3 the viewers the fifth rated broadcast gets (BULL).

Three of the top ten shows on cable are the NCAA tournament. None of the top ten broadcast shows are sports.

Top 10s

Just saying...

I realize that I am probably gonna get killed for this, but who's all these people asking for more football? I get the $$ aspect of it, but I just don't know who is begging for more football. I like that I see ticket prices are going to be less, as they should be, but, lets be serious, it's not going to be at the quality we see on Sundays from Sept thru the first week in Feb.

My interest is meh at best.

The top rated cable tv show (Walking Dead) gets half the viewers the top rated broadcast show (NCIS) gets. The fifth rated cable show (Hannity) gets 1/3 the viewers the fifth rated broadcast gets (BULL).

Three of the top ten shows on cable are the NCAA tournament. None of the top ten broadcast shows are sports.

Top 10s

Just saying...
As an aside, I had no idea Rachel Maddow drew that many eyeballs. She's not getting any at my house, I can tell you that.

Top 10s

Just saying...

Do people watch "the walking dead" on cable? We've watched the whole thing on streaming. Anyways, I was primarily referring to the big three old timey broadcast networks le., CBS, ABC, NBC,

I realize that I am probably gonna get killed for this, but who's all these people asking for more football? I get the $$ aspect of it, but I just don't know who is begging for more football. I like that I see ticket prices are going to be less, as they should be, but, lets be serious, it's not going to be at the quality we see on Sundays from Sept thru the first week in Feb.

My interest is meh at best.
It's a fair question. I'll likely get more killed for this response. My interest in the NFL is meh -- and my team has a shot at the championship every year. Not sure I will watch any of these startups, but I am happy that there will be competition to the NFL. Part of it is the Social Justice crap, but, mostly, I am just sick of the prima donnas on and off the field. Our boy scouts take in a lot of second tier sporting events. The games are just as entertaining and the cost is significantly less. I would say that second tier football has just a good a shot as professional soccer. I wish someone would air CFL in the US.

Do people watch "the walking dead" on cable? We've watched the whole thing on streaming. Anyways, I was primarily referring to the big three old timey broadcast networks le., CBS, ABC, NBC,
All of the top ten shows are on one of those three networks...

1 NCIS CBS 8.1 13,265
2 VOICE NBC 7.1 11,876
3 THIS IS US NBC 7.0 10,940
4 VOICE-TUE NBC 6.9 11,176
5 BULL CBS 6.6 10,639
6 GOOD DOCTOR, THE ABC 6.3 9,887
7 60 MINUTES CBS 6.2 10,078
8 NCIS: NEW ORLEANS CBS 5.8 9,251
9 INSTINCT CBS 5.6 9,049
10 AMERICAN IDOL-MON ABC 5.0 8,414

I do not have a premium provider and watch none of those shows, so don't go by me. I'm one of those senior citizens you refer to and mostly watch programming on Heroes and Icons ;-)

It's a fair question. I'll likely get more killed for this response. My interest in the NFL is meh -- and my team has a shot at the championship every year. Not sure I will watch any of these startups, but I am happy that there will be competition to the NFL. Part of it is the Social Justice crap, but, mostly, I am just sick of the prima donnas on and off the field. Our boy scouts take in a lot of second tier sporting events. The games are just as entertaining and the cost is significantly less. I would say that second tier football has just a good a shot as professional soccer. I wish someone would air CFL in the US.
The NFL has done a lousy job with the social issues. I could easily lose interest, if not for the Patriots. They've priced me out as it is, I go to maybe 1-2 games per year, and none in the post season. I used to go to every game, all the way down from central NH. I am concerned that when they come back to the pack, and have a 9-7, 8-8 year, I am gonna find other things to do, and I was loyal all thru the 70's, 80's and 90's. Watched every game when they were 1-15, and my then new bride said "Why do you watch these a-holes?" They've paid my loyalty off in spades, but when it goes bad, I am curious if I am going to have the same patience.

I think if they find a way to make the game faster it will have some success.
One great thing watching soccer is the lack of commercials during the halves.
This new league might be fun to watch if they reduce the time between plays.

Wonder how the NFL feels about CBS backing this. I could see the league letting NBC take over the CBS package in 2021.
The league will “let” whoever pays the most money have that package. Right now the 4 major networks each have a package (I consider ESPN to be an ABC affiliate). I really don’t see that changing since it works out so well for the league. The only potential change I’d concede is maybe another party taking MNF from ESPN.

Idk. I'm kind of excited about it. Any word on the teams?

ETA: Teams announced over the next couple of months. If there is a NH team I'd be ****ing stoked

From what I've seen on various sites they are looking at markets that don't currently have a professional football presence. So one would think cities like Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland, Chicago, Indy, Washington, Minneapolis and Dallas would be in the mix

All of the top ten shows are on one of those three networks...

1 NCIS CBS 8.1 13,265
2 VOICE NBC 7.1 11,876
3 THIS IS US NBC 7.0 10,940
4 VOICE-TUE NBC 6.9 11,176
5 BULL CBS 6.6 10,639
6 GOOD DOCTOR, THE ABC 6.3 9,887
7 60 MINUTES CBS 6.2 10,078
8 NCIS: NEW ORLEANS CBS 5.8 9,251
9 INSTINCT CBS 5.6 9,049
10 AMERICAN IDOL-MON ABC 5.0 8,414

I do not have a premium provider and watch none of those shows, so don't go by me. I'm one of those senior citizens you refer to and mostly watch programming on Heroes and Icons ;-)

I like to project my own preferences on the rest of the world FWIW. And make stuff up on the internet.

60 minutes and American idol are the only shows I've heard of on that list. Super bowl blows these viewer numbers out I would think.

And it's categorical. A ranking of the top TV shows will result in a list of TV shows, not necessarily what's got the world's attention. For example, when there are only four people left watching network TV, NCIS could still be the top show.

I think if they find a way to make the game faster it will have some success.
One great thing watching soccer is the lack of commercials during the halves.
This new league might be fun to watch if they reduce the time between plays.
I think their goal is to finish games in 2.5 hours. McMahon stated he wanted XFL games over in about 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes