PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBA has provision to protect players from turning over cell phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old 55

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I read a Facebook post from someone who claimed that the current CBA has clear cut rules to protect players from having to turn over cell phones and other communications. Does any else have any info on this? The person on FB said that because it's part of he CBA, the NFL is in violation of labor laws for requesting the cell and for levying punishments for not providing something that is already protected in the CBA. It seems all these haters that are on ESPN, NFL Network & Sports radio are all claiming that refusal to submit to all of the NFL's requests are classified as conduct detrimental to the league and therefore subject to punishment without limitations.

My understanding is that the NFL has requested subpoena power in CBA negotiations and the NFLPA has refused to grant them. I believe the info you seek is not an agreement within the CBA but the negotiated lack of that right for the NFL.

My understanding is that the NFL has requested subpoena power in CBA negotiations and the NFLPA has refused to grant them. I believe the info you seek is not an agreement within the CBA but the negotiated lack of that right for the NFL.
Either way, the punishment is based on the refusal to turn over things the league has no right to request. I think Kraft & Brady need to get this out of NFL'S kangaroo court and into a real one.

Either way, the punishment is based on the refusal to turn over things the league has no right to request. I think Kraft & Brady need to get this out of NFL'S kangaroo court and into a real one.

Oh they will.
My feeling is that Brady and Kessler stroll into the appeal with a scorched Earth gameplan, and by the time they are done, Goodell will be so afraid of what will happen in real court, that not only will Brady get his suspension overturned, but the league will denounce Wells and his report and apologize publicly to Brady.
I am confident that Brady and Kessler will not be telling Goodell they are taking the disciplinary ruling to court, but they are taking the personal conduct policy, the powers that Goodell thinks he has, the other disciplines he has handed out and the Anti-trust exemption to court.
If Brady and Kessler get their day in 'real court' Goodell will not survive as Commissioner.

Oh they will.
My feeling is that Brady and Kessler stroll into the appeal with a scorched Earth gameplan, and by the time they are done, Goodell will be so afraid of what will happen in real court, that not only will Brady get his suspension overturned, but the league will denounce Wells and his report and apologize publicly to Brady.
I am confident that Brady and Kessler will not be telling Goodell they are taking the disciplinary ruling to court, but they are taking the personal conduct policy, the powers that Goodell thinks he has, the other disciplines he has handed out and the Anti-trust exemption to court.
If Brady and Kessler get their day in 'real court' Goodell will not survive as Commissioner.

From your keyboard to God's ears!

During the appeal and or lawsuit, I would like Brady's lawyer to inquire about the league's investigation of the Colt's tanking during their "Suck for Luck" campaign. If the league has decided "preserving the integrity of the game" is their core principal that must be defended, I'd like to understand why a pound of air pressure invokes league ire....but not tanking.

According to the NFL, the punishment was based on the following:
1. Evidence (or lack thereof)
2. Lack of Cooperation (without legal foundation or logical reasoning)
3. Spygate

Since Spygate, the Patriots have been a model NFL franchise. It had nothing to do with this investigation. The fact that an overblown, ******** of a ruling is still an inkstain in the NFL's eyes implies that Kraft does not have institutional control of his organization and the investigation was done under a shroud of pre-conceived suspicion and anti-Patriot bias.

That is absolutely the strategy. Discredit the whole operation as an unfair labor practice.

Still not sure the other owners will support that, Andy. Bob has some work to do.

We better be picking in the first round next year. Kessler needs to go for the throat. No compromises, no collaboration, full apology and retracted punishment.

That is absolutely the strategy. Discredit the whole operation as an unfair labor practice.

Still not sure the other owners will support that, Andy. Bob has some work to do.
If it goes to court and Goodell is embarassed and his entire reign ripped to shreads, they will oust him in a heartbeat.

We better be picking in the first round next year. Kessler needs to go for the throat. No compromises, no collaboration, full apology and retracted punishment.
Kesslers only client, and concern is Brady.

According to the NFL, the punishment was based on the following:
1. Evidence (or lack thereof)
2. Lack of Cooperation (without legal foundation or logical reasoning)
3. Spygate

Since Spygate, the Patriots have been a model NFL franchise. It had nothing to do with this investigation. The fact that an overblown, ******** of a ruling is still an inkstain in the NFL's eyes implies that Kraft does not have institutional control of his organization and the investigation was done under a shroud of pre-conceived suspicion and anti-Patriot bias.

I still can't believe that the NFL was so stupid as to put Spygate in the memorandum to Brady. It opens up the entire thing again for examination, and provides the opportunity to better educate the public about what it really was, rather than what the public has been lead to believe it was. A fantastic opportunity, on a platter. They get to address it in press conferences and in court.

Kesslers only client, and concern is Brady.

Actually, from what I understand from yesterday's posts, it is the union. That's who has hired him. Brady can bring in additional counsel as his own.

Actually, from what I understand from yesterday's posts, it is the union. That's who has hired him. Brady can bring in additional counsel as his own.
Regardless, Kessler is not their for Kraft or the team.

If it goes to court and Goodell is embarassed and his entire reign ripped to shreads, they will oust him in a heartbeat.
Then Kraft will have the political support he wants. Right now he doesn't have it.

With Kesseler's strategy, Goodell will neutered in every way possible.

I still can't believe that the NFL was so stupid as to put Spygate in the memorandum to Brady. It opens up the entire thing again for examination, and provides the opportunity to better educate the public about what it really was, rather than what the public has been lead to believe it was. A fantastic opportunity, on a platter. They get to address it in press conferences and in court.

I agree with that. And I don't think for a minute that Belichick and Kraft didn't keep copies of the tapes they turned over to Goodell.

I agree with that. And I don't think for a minute that Belichick and Kraft didn't keep copies of the tapes they turned over to Goodell.

They were supposed to turn over all tapes, so if they have a copy it would be a stupid mistake to present that as evidence.

Might Goodell have a problem for destroying evidence if Spygate makes it to a court of law?

Now whatever happened to the copy Jay Glazer had? Maybe Jane Seymour kept a copy.

Regardless, Kessler is not their for Kraft or the team.

Hopefully Kraft will have high powered attorneys too.

Is Kessler prevented from representing Kraft at the same time?

They were supposed to turn over all tapes, so if they have a copy it would be a stupid mistake to present that as evidence.

Might Goodell have a problem for destroying evidence if Spygate makes it to a court of law?

Now whatever happened to the copy Jay Glazer had? Maybe Jane Seymour kept a copy.

If we're talking about the current farce, then "turn over" would mean "provide a copy." Since the Pats aren't prohibited from making Security footage there's no reason to relinquish them entirely.

If we're talking about Spygate, then yes, part of the agreement was that they would destroy any copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe