PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassell Wants #2 Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/05/16/bc.fbn.patriots.cassel.ap/index.html
With Flutie's retirement Monday 22 years after winning the Heisman, Cassel moves up to the No. 2 spot behind Tom Brady, at least for now. Coach Bill Belichick hasn't said whether he'll bring in a veteran quarterback or told Cassel what to expect.

"I'm not going to say that I've started a bunch of games and I've proven myself because that's definitely not the case," Cassel said. "All I can say is that, if ever given an opportunity, I have prepared myself enough to be competitive and go out and win ball games."

re

It's weird, but even though Cassel never played in college, I think he's already a strong prospect who is going to grow into a great QB in about 3-4 years. At this point I actually feel more comfortable with a Cassel than any other old QB (except maybe Fiedler) as our #2 QB.

He showed some flashes. I like his energy and competitiveness. The drive at the end of the miami scrimmage was nice. The thing I would worry about is him protecting the ball if we ever have to rely on him.

Even that pansy manning through a bunch of interceptions when he first started playing.

Mike
Poweralley.com

Did anyone expect him to say he wanted to stay the number 3???

Anyway, he's got my vote, for whatever it's worth, to be number 2 with Bramlett number 3. Of course, this will not happen but I like to tinker with reality...

BB will hire a vet and I'd go some good odds Fiedler heard form the coach before Flutie's press conference even started.

He played well as long as teams weren't allowed to game plan for him. As for being a starter if TB goes down, well he still has to prove he can do it. The Miami game was very very encouraging though. I think another year under Brady will make him just that much better. He's used to sitting down and then coming in for short stints throughout his college and NFL career. That patience to be on the sidelines when he is not needed is such a big plus to have in a #2 QB. You're not worried that he's sulking because he isn't getting playing time yet at the same time you know you've got a guy who when needed, will have no problems coming in cold from the bench and leading the team.

The guy who mentored him last season says in today's Globe he believes Matt is ready to step up. And his reasoning is what resonates with me and what makes it more likely that if a vet is added it will be as the #3 emergency guy and scout QB. If you take a closer look at Fiedler, Collins and Maddoux, the big 3 all have natural tendancies towards over reaching and turning the ball over - not what BB wants to see in a QB running his offense.

"Doug Flutie's retirement has left an opening on the Patriots' depth chart behind Tom Brady. And while the team might sign a veteran free agent in the coming months, Flutie said yesterday that the future No. 2 might already be on the roster.

He believes Matt Cassel is ready to step up.

''I would feel very confident if he became the No. 2 this year," Flutie said of Cassel, a seventh-round draft choice in 2005. ''He's bright and can grasp it all. He can do the things Tom does mentally. Not everyone can handle that end of it, and I think he can."

Cassel (6 feet 4 inches, 222 pounds) played in two games in 2005, with his most extensive time coming in the season finale against the Dolphins. He was 11 of 20 for 168 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

It was a game in which many of the starters were rested, and the Patriots trailed, 25-13, with 9:07 left before Cassel led a comeback. He directed two scoring drives, the second culminating in a 9-yard connection to tight end Benjamin Watson with no time left. Cassel's 2-point conversion pass attempt sailed out of the end zone and the Patriots lost, 28-26.

''I think you saw everything you needed to see in that last game of the year," Flutie said. ''Down by two scores and he was throwing the ball downfield, making plays in pressure situations. With this team, what they ask the quarterback to do mentally is a lot. He's capable of handling it."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/05/16/cassel_will_try_hard_to_be_no_2/

MoLewisrocks said:
Cassel (6 feet 4 inches, 222 pounds) played in two games in 2005, with his most extensive time coming in the season finale against the Dolphins. He was 11 of 20 for 168 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

In that one game, Cassel accomplished more than Rohan Davey did in his entire NFL career.

Brady-To-Branch said:
In that one game, Cassel accomplished more than Rohan Davey did in his entire NFL career.

Need anything more be said...........

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Did anyone expect him to say he wanted to stay the number 3???
Exactly.The media is just making up headlines like tabloids.which backup qb for 1 yr would say i dont want no 2.

Cassel is the rawest of the raw. He hasn't started a game since high school. Projecting him to a successful NFL career is pure folly at this point. But I just can't help myself.

I remember at 2004 training camp, watching the QBs and thinking "it's Tom Brady and the seven dwarfs." I believe it was Davey, Kittner, and Kingsbury, and they all made me wince. It wasn't just the throws, it was the way they moved, the way they projected zero command, confidence and poise. Then in 2005, voila! What a difference.

Like most, I expect the Pats to bring in a veteran. But it would be a surprise if he leapfrogged Cassel.

Brady-To-Branch said:
In that one (partial) game he did more (2 TDs) with the third string than Alex SMith did all year (1 TD, 10 INT)with his first string.

If the Pats defense hadn't allowed the late FG, Cassel wouldn't had to try for 2 pt conversion. He would have won the game with his second TD.

spacecrime said:
In that one (partial) game he did more (2 TDs) with the third string than Alex SMith did all year (1 TD, 10 INT)with his first string.

If the Pats defense hadn't allowed the late FG, Cassel wouldn't had to try for 2 pt conversion. He would have won the game with his second TD.

...and all this against the Dolphins starting defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back