PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can you think of a worse day in Boston sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me this thread was started by someone who's not 18 yet.

Reggie Lewis/Len Bias deaths ring a bell, for crying out loud?

Teams lost games today, not lives.

point taken but I think it was assumed we are taking on the field events. BTW, those guys died doing something pretty negligent. RIP.

Last edited:
Taking into account that the person who asked this question clearly intended it to be a "between the lines" conversation, I can't believe how many Johnny-Come-Lately's there are to the Boston sports scene. The fact that no one has yet mentioned Bill Buckner proves that.

2 run lead, 1 out away from a World Series, no one on base. It really just doesn't get any more devastating than that.

uh...I would like to add...TWO STRIKES!!!...I've tried to obliterate this memory...thanx for dredging up this demon from the recesses of my tortured memory

Pats collapse in 4th quarter to the Broncos and lose a gut-wrenching gm in OT

Red Sox give up 3 runs in the 9th and get swept in ALDS.

Yanks head to ALCS

Colts go to 5-0

Steelers after a rough start, match the Pats record at 3-2

Am i leaving anything out, lol?:)

yes you did

Matt Light could be done for the year

Pats collapse in 4th quarter to the Broncos and lose a gut-wrenching gm in OT

Red Sox give up 3 runs in the 9th and get swept in ALDS.

Yanks head to ALCS

Colts go to 5-0

Steelers after a rough start, match the Pats record at 3-2

Am i leaving anything out, lol?:)

Feb 3, 2008

My point is that the OP and everyone who entertains his line of thought needs to be tranquilized.
I think you can ease up on the sanctimony. The guy that started this thread did so with a very innocent question: Can you think of a worse day in Boston sports?

What was he supposed to do? Come in here and write "Well, today sure sucked but at least it wasn't as bad as September 11!"

Last edited:
says you, buckner crushed me more.

I was 9 then and just moved to the States so I wasn't really in full Boston sports fan mode. I'm not disagreeing with you and completely understand why that would be the worst in someone's list (with the history of Sox bad luck and falling short). The Grady Little game to me is right up there behind the 07 SB loss.

I can't think of a day when so many teams that we love lost and so many teams that we hate won. The way the games were lost was so bizarre by both the Sox and Pats--that's what is so disheartening about today. A 3 run lead with Papelbon coming in to pitch the 9th is like an 8-0 lead. A 10 point lead on the Broncos is supposed to increase. Don't forget Arod hit a HR to tie a post season gm tonight to help the Yanks get into the ALCS. What are the odds of all these things happening in the same day??

Of course the Super Bowl was the single most excruciating loss ever, but of course one sport is involved here. I guess people took this thread too seriously, my bad!:)

I think you can ease up on the sanctimony. The guy that started this thread did so with a very innocent question: Can you think of a worse day in Boston sports?

What was he supposed to do? Come in here and write "Well, today sure sucked but at least it wasn't as bad as September 11!"
Sorry, but making that post because the Red Sox were eliminated (again—they are not year-by-year champs) and the Patriots lost an early October game is silly.

Sorry, but making that post because the Red Sox were eliminated (again—they are not year-by-year champs) and the Patriots lost an early October game is silly.
That's a legitimate point, and I think it shows a guy who either wasn't around or simply doesn't remember the "bad old days" of Boston sports. I just think that, with all due respect, bringing up September 11 and Abraham Lincoln was even sillier when this is a forum dedicated to a sports team and a thread that is dedicated to discussing sports disappointments.

Last edited:
I was born in 1992. So sue me.

I don't take issue with the topic. I take issue with the circumstances/motives.

I wouldn't say "worse" but I think "frustrating" is more like it because of the way both the Red Sox and Patriots lost today. But I think it's time to start moving toward more positive topics, and feel free to use the "Red Sox Forum" on this site as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe