PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can/Will Pats resign Jones, Collins, and Hightower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you see as more valuable to our team?

Hightower by a pretty wide margin.

If we are to see their roles are seen as equal, then you have to look at the depth of the roster position. As it stands, we have great depth at jones position and terrible depth at hightowers.

1. Next year is not an issue - all three are signed.

2. Assuming $160m cap in 2017, the Patriots have approx $65m in space and that's with Amendola and Mayo still being counted against the cap which is another potential 16m available.

3. Between them, Revis, Suh and Houston's 2017 cap number is about $51m in 2017 so if we could afford those numbers and still have $30m left over, I don't think our trio should present much of a problem if BB wants to sign up all three long-term.

4. Only caveat is that Brady, Solder, Garoppolo, Edelman and Easley are all out of contract at the end of that year so there's holes that will need to be filled one way or another.

4. Doubt both Qbs getting a new contract, Edelman could retire. Leaves Solder and Easley - 2017 Draft could be telling there.

My gut guess, they all take team friendlier deals but still get good money because they choose comfort over chasing top dollar.

Good article from Howe on the way NE can resign Hightower, Collins and Jones. I saw some discussion about who is priority in the SoundFX thread and thought I'd post this here.
But this is also an unprecedented situation in Belichick’s reign, as Hightower, Jones and Collins are eying contracts worth upward of $150 million between them. Though that collective price tag looks ominous, there are ways for the Patriots to get it done.
Source

Well, he let Richard Seymour slip away, too, in his prime.

Well, we know that the "prime" part of this statement is BS. What is your definition of let Seymour "slip away?"

4. Only caveat is that Brady, Solder, Garoppolo, Edelman and Easley are all out of contract at the end of that year so there's holes that will need to be filled one way or another.

But the Pats do have the 5th year for Easley so he may not be out of contract after '17.

Need another post about this?

4. Doubt both Qbs getting a new contract, Edelman could retire. Leaves Solder and Easley - 2017 Draft could be telling there.

Well there's a long way to go before then. I'm sure there'll be a pipeline of draft picks at some of those positions between now and then.

Need another post about this?
Considering it was a Jeff Howe article today vs. Miguel's post on here, can't understand why you'd be like this..

Luckily, we have a whole 'nother year and a half to make a decision on these 3.
Yep. There are certain topics that just seem to get the board humming, though, and "Jones/Hightower/Collins, who can the Pats keep" seems to be one of them.

Hightower by a pretty wide margin.

If we are to see their roles are seen as equal, then you have to look at the depth of the roster position. As it stands, we have great depth at jones position and terrible depth at hightowers.

I don't think BB sees it that way.

Correcting title as the 38M refers to cap hits and not cap space.

Well, he let Richard Seymour slip away, too, in his prime.

There is enough cap space to sign them all, for most teams. But BB is notorious for spending disproportionate share of his cap space on the #20-50 players on his roster... the Alan Branches, Brandon Boldens, Nate Ebners and Marcus Cannons of the team. The general calculus is that the a single $10mm player is not as important to the roster than eight $1.2mm players... or maybe a $4mm and a few $2mm players.

This is part of the Next Man Up philosophy of team building... you plan to lose players to injury, and design the roster to be deep. Rather than breaking the bank on a free agent like Suh, you bring in Branch and Siliga and Hicks and consider yourself ahead.

So, sure, BB could sign them all. But he's unlikely to do so, because if he does the overall structure of the team will be more like what Dallas is suffering under, where once their stars get hurt, they're just S.O.L. It's just never been his mode of roster building.

Key to me is that Sheard is making half(?) or two-thirds(?) of what Jones is like to demand in Free Agency... and despite what Jones brings to the team, Sheard is the better value. Ninkovich is better value, too. And Grissom + Flowers is on their rookie contracts and deserve snaps. Jones is an impactful player, but... unless he's willing to go under-market to stay in Foxboro, I think he's gone.

Collins and Hightower are the keepers, for me. BB will sign a few veterans any given year, who are elite talents and the core leaders of the team... here I'm thinking Mayo, Wilfork, Mankins, Brady, McCourty. A countable few, single digit number of rare players... the Lawrence Taylors of his team, so to speak. In this generation, I think Hightower, Collins and Gronk are the ones he is interested in building the rest of his team around, the rare and irreplaceable talent.

Seymour was basically 30 when he was traded (one month before his 30th birthday). That isn't in his prime or at the tail end of it at best. And Seymour was not the player he was when he was 27 when the Pats traded him.

Collins, Hightower, and Jones are all about to hit their prime. Don't know if they will keep all three, but it is a different situation.

BB always thinks depth

We need Jones. It's taken us 8 years to find a young elite pass rusher off the edge. Let's keep him long term. They don't grow off trees. Having an elite D line is critical. Jones is blossoming into one of the best defensive players in he NFL. You can't get rid of that kind of rare NFL athlete

We need Jones. It's taken us 8 years to find a young elite pass rusher off the edge. Let's keep him long term. They don't grow off trees. Having an elite D line is critical. Jones is blossoming into one of the best defensive players in he NFL. You can't get rid of that kind of rare NFL athlete

That's all hyperbole. The point is all three of these guys are top defensive players in the league. No one wants to get rid of any of them, but the reality of the situation is that they may have to choose.

No one knows what Bill will do, but I have my suspicions that management used 3 of our top 4 picks on the defensive line tells me they were already searching for long term answers. At the same time, they haven't used one pick on a linebacker.

We are all guessing, but jones isn't some irreplaceable piece. Gronk and TB12 are the only guys that fall in that category.

It is hard to worry 2 years down the line cause so much can change in the NFL.

Maybe next year we pick up someone as an UDFA or draft a 7th round pick that turns into a world beater and changes the formula.

I am not really worried about the cap at this point cause we have such great deals on the offensive side of the ball in generally that we can spend more on defense.

As long as you have a QB like Brady only getting paid 15M or so you will find you have a lot of flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST