PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can one of you draft monkeys hook me up with a kicker take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't like college football and don't follow the draft like most of you guys, I'm just wondering if you guys could give me some insight on the Kicker we picked.

Merci.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=13205

Steven Gostkowski - Memphis
4 year kicker
70 career FGs
22/25 last season (his BEST season)

Career - 70/92 FGs

Hang time averages 4.02 seconds on his kick-offs. Can get the ball into the end zone from the 30 on kick-offs.

16-17 in FGs from 40+ over the last 2 years.
had 39 TBs on 68 kick offs last season. Of the other 29, only 24 were returned for positive yardage.

What I meant was YOUR take, I can get stats and stories anywhere.

My take?

If the kid can perform like he did last year for Memphis, then he will be a steal. Particularly if his kick-offs fall between the goal line and 5 yard line on a regular basis. If they end up like Adam's, falling between the 7 and 10 yard line on a regular basis and he reverts back to his lousy sophomore and freshman years of college in terms of FG accuracy, he won't last to the start of the season.

Like all kickers, I think Gostkowski is boom or bust. It remains to be seen how he does. I know that if I was Him, I would buy myself a big freezer, turn in down as low as it goes and then fill it with football. Let them freeze and then spend time kicking those. If he can get those to fly off his foot, (as much as a stone cinderblock can fly off your foot) then the kid will be awesome.

Last edited:
re

I am not familiar with kickers in general, but Belichick must have valued him as the best kicker to take him in the 4th round. What I like about him:

-His last two years were excellent accuracy-wise. 88% in 2005.
-He is no shrimp. He is actually an athlete (he doubled as a Division I baseball pitcher), and is slightly over 6 feet and 200 pounds. Special teams won't be 10-on-11 during kickoffs.
-I like that he was also a pitcher. Kicking is similar to pitching in that it is about accuracy and hitting your spots, repetitive movements, making slight adjustments, and performing in certain big game situations.
-In his interviews, he comes off as very level-headed, doesn't get too emotionally high or low, and seemed like a mature person.
-He kind of looks like Adam Vinatieri.

I don't know anything about kickers, but I think this kid looks like he has a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Come on... with a name like Gostkowski it's got to be good.

(© Copyright April 30, 2006, 22:16, T-ShirtDynasty. All Rights Reserved)

:D

Last edited:
PLEASE don't boo him when he misses a kick

LET'S SUPPORT THIS KID.

He has even more potential than AV did coming into this league. He's got all the tools, let's just do our part as fans to help out on the mental aspect.

he should work out just fine.

DaBruinz said:
My take?

If the kid can perform like he did last year for Memphis, then he will be a steal.

It doesn't really matter how he performs, he will not be a "steal" by any stretch. He was a fourth round pick, a place where you're expected to perform. If he busts then we really wasted a pick. That said, I know nothing about him, so hopefully he does well.

How much would it cost to get this kid to spend a month or so with Doug Blevins (the coach who helped prepare AV for the NFL)?

He was the best Div 1 kicker by my assessment, he kicked in a challenging environment even if it wasn't sub-zero. I'd like to see the club sign Jeff Glas of North Dakota to compete with him, but I think a 4th round pick is likely to win a Practice Squad slot to develop behind Gramatica.

Gostkowski was the only kicker worth drafting. You have to like his accuracy from 40+ yards. The knock on him is competition level...

This is my take posted in another thread:

"Memphis Tigers fan here. Just thought I would try to answer a few questions you may have.

Gotti consistently kicked the ball through the endzone his senior season. He did not kick off his junior year, only FG's and PAT's.

His first year with us he was extremely rough around the edges. He worked extremely hard every year and has gotten consistently better each season. He has a very strong leg. Some of his longer kicks would have been good from 10-15 yds further back.

His only down side has been accuracy, but he's gotten better with that each year. His senior season, he was almost automatic. I think you guys got a good one, but I've got my blue shades on, so what do I know?"

As far as competition level goes, I don't see how that matters. A place kicker's job is the same no matter what. He didn't have too many pressure situations to deal with, mainly because of our high octane offense. He did have several games where he was clutch when we struggled to get the ball in the end zone, though.

Well - here's what PFT.com had to say: (pretty much captures my feelings on the subject)

POSTED 12:16 p.m. EDT, April 30, 2006

BELICHICK CRAZY LIKE A FOX, AGAIN?

The New England Patriots burned a fourth-round pick on Memphis kicker Stephen Gostkowski.

Who?

Exactly.

The fourth-round is high to take any kicker this year. For Gostkowski, going off of the board in round four is even more of a stretch, given that ESPN's Mel Kiper didn't even include Gostkowski among his five highest-rated kicking prospects.

Our take? Pats coach Bill Belichick and V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli have eight Super Bowl rings between them. Mel has as many as we do.

So we'll give the Patriots the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes