PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cafarto: Adam left for 200K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinatieri wants to do better at Outsports.com ... so word is he figures the Colts / Brokeback thing will shoot him up the idol charts over there.

scout said:
Adam left for LOVE.
LOVE = MONEY

If he let 10 years of service go for 200K a year would be a huge mistake. Thats what happens when pride gets the best of you. He went from New England icon to Ty Law/Laywer Milloy status. A beloved hero to an JAG superbowl winner. Parcells said it correct, why would he leave when he is in the company of Orr, Bird, Williams, etc. Now he is just another guy. His status within New England area just took a huge hit. Have fun in Indy. :rolleyes:

ilduce06410 said:
it iss yesterday's news. but seeing him will be like seeing luis tiant in a yankee uniform.

Like Roger Clemens in a Yankee uniform.....Roger has been dead to me for 10 years! Although Roger never won one, let alone three championships for us!

Benedict Kicker wanted out of NE, plain and simple, the extra dagger to my heart comes from the fact that HE contacted one of our two biggest AFC rivals and WANTED to play for them. Like this was some big FU to BB and the fans that loved this Judas for 10 years!!

Oh brother, didn't AV's father say he wanted to come back here "in the worst way"? Suuure. What a crock. Not that I believed him, anyway.

Bella*chick said:
Oh brother, didn't AV's father say he wanted to come back here "in the worst way"? Suuure. What a crock. Not that I believed him, anyway.

When I was at lunch today, Tedy was on 'EEI talking about how he was in touch with the Patriots free and trying to talk them into staying, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named was on the top of Tedy's list! I love Tedy, he is the ultimate Patriot!

JustWinBrady said:
LOVE = MONEY

If he let 10 years of service go for 200K a year would be a huge mistake. Thats what happens when pride gets the best of you. His status within New England area just took a huge hit. Have fun in Indy. :rolleyes:
The first time he misses a FG in Indy they'll boo him and yell that they should have kept Vanderjerk....... My Hollywood ending is him lining up for a potentially game winning FG versus the Pats with the camera cutting to Peyton with that smug look on his face. Then he misses it (preferably blocked) and the camera cuts back to PM with his distinctive "peytonface" as he snaps off the chinstrap and glares out at his kicker......

Don't be so sure this isn't exactly what BB and SP wanted

JustWinBrady said:
LOVE = MONEY

If he let 10 years of service go for 200K a year would be a huge mistake. Thats what happens when pride gets the best of you. He went from New England icon to Ty Law/Laywer Milloy status. A beloved hero to an JAG superbowl winner. Parcells said it correct, why would he leave when he is in the company of Orr, Bird, Williams, etc. Now he is just another guy. His status within New England area just took a huge hit. Have fun in Indy. :rolleyes:

You can't cut a NE sports legend, now can you? Maybe we don't know everything there is to know about the back. Maybe BB and SP keep their opinions to themselves and let Adam find his way out of NE without getting in the way. Let's not forget, they actually thought Lawyer, Ty and Tebucky were over for the Pats and just let them find their way off the team. The only mistake they made was with Lawyer in waiting too long to release him, and BB admitted that mistake.

So I wouldn't be so hard on AV, maybe there was really no other choice.

I agree that AV was a bit of a baby but truth be told the Pats are not completely blameless here. They could have wrapped up AV after every year but treated him like an easily disposable part instead of the clutch kicker is. I don't think that was the wisest move considering how many games are decided by 3 points.

His contract would not have even been a flea fart against the cap if they extended his contract for more than one season (over the past three seasons).

I know that BB usually finds players to replace the ones who've left but I still believe they screwed up by not addressing AV long term over the past few seasons. IMO Gimp-atica will be cut before the first regular season game, they'll draft a kicker in the late rounds.

If we had re- signed AV guys here would be trumpteing the fact that we retained the greatest clutch kicker of all time. Now that he's gone people are just shy of saying he was an overpriced Scott Sisson (remember him? :D).

IMO the blame pie is 50/50.

Brick said:
I know that BB usually finds players to replace the ones who've left but I still believe they screwed up by not addressing AV long term over the past few seasons.
If we had re- signed AV guys here would be trumpteing the fact that we retained the greatest clutch kicker of all time. Now that he's gone people are just shy of saying he was an overpriced Scott Sisson (remember him? :D).

IMO the blame pie is 50/50.
Who is saying that he's an overpriced Sisson or anything CLOSE to that?? Not sure what board you have been looking at..(obviously not this one..) FACT: Vinatieri did not attend the last SB parade; one wonders if that was just a conflict or that it didn't mean all that much to him..or was that something against the team. FACT: Earlier in the offseason, in an interview he talked about being New England in a past tense; certainly indicative of not wanting to return. FACT: He admitted he never gave NE a chance to match his offer. Maybe the Patriots could have done things better, but I think Adam wanted out of New England. It's very hard to sign someone who wants out.

To answer the original question, Cafardo's not telling the whole story when he says it's just a matter of $200,000. What's the total value of the deal the Pats were offering vs. the Colts? The number of years offered for both? Probably most importantly, how much guaranteed money was offered for both? I'm guessing the guaranteed amount from the Colts made this more than just a simple matter of $200,000/year.

Pats726 said:
Who is saying that he's an overpriced Sisson or anything CLOSE to that?? Not sure what board you have been looking at..(obviously not this one..)

It was obviously a satirical exagerration with AV I'll grant you that. It just seems that as soon as a player leaves their talent/work ethic/performance (or whatever) is instantly downplayed.:bricks:

FACT: Vinatieri did not attend the last SB parade; one wonders if that was just a conflict or that it didn't mean all that much to him..or was that something against the team.

So are you're saying it's a "fact" or a subliminal messsage or perhaps a conspiracy???

FACT: Earlier in the offseason, in an interview he talked about being New England in a past tense; certainly indicative of not wanting to return.

Fact: It's also indicative of a player letting his team know that business is business and that he has/will have other teams willing to sign him.

FACT: He admitted he never gave NE a chance to match his offer.

True but then again the Pats only gave him a chance for job security one season at a time.

Maybe the Patriots could have done things better, but I think Adam wanted out of New England. It's very hard to sign someone who wants out.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Well, I think Adam acted like a greedy jerk, but I don't think I'm downplaying his accomplishments or work ethic. He was good for us while he was here, but he clearly didn't want to be here anymore, so it's kind of hard not to roll my eyes when I read about his dad talking about how badly he wanted to stay. How stupid do they think we are?

Brick said:
So are you're saying it's a "fact" or a subliminal messsage or perhaps a conspiracy???

Fact: It's also indicative of a player letting his team know that business is business and that he has/will have other teams willing to sign him.

True but then again the Pats only gave him a chance for job security one season at a time.

Agreed.
He wasn't there at the parade, THAT is a fact, I think you can take it for what it is...a conspiracy?? Huh???
I tend to think that AV wouldn't need to tell the Patriots that other teams were interested in him. I think they would know that if he wasn't signed with a contract. Talking like NE is in the past is just that; telling all that he is moving on. If one wishes to see more in that, fine.
There are very few contracts that are guaranteed in the NFL. We only know that at that point, they only offered that one year "guaranteed". He would have job security here as long as he kicked up to par. If that was a big issue,
if he thought he might in fact be headed downward and wanted to lock those years up BEFORE that, then possibly the team made a good choice. Not sure that even matters at this point. Who knows how the Patriots would have countered Indy's offer; he didn't give them a chance, which shows me he didn't want to return period. And that is all OK. Players sometime want a change of scenary; new challenges. The Colts?? Hard to stomach..but it's time to move on.

Pats726 said:
He wasn't there at the parade, THAT is a fact, I think you can take it for what it is...a conspiracy?? Huh???
I tend to think that AV wouldn't need to tell the Patriots that other teams were interested in him. I think they would know that if he wasn't signed with a contract. Talking like NE is in the past is just that; telling all that he is moving on. If one wishes to see more in that, fine.
There are very few contracts that are guaranteed in the NFL. We only know that at that point, they only offered that one year "guaranteed". He would have job security here as long as he kicked up to par. If that was a big issue,
if he thought he might in fact be headed downward and wanted to lock those years up BEFORE that, then possibly the team made a good choice. Not sure that even matters at this point. Who knows how the Patriots would have countered Indy's offer; he didn't give them a chance, which shows me he didn't want to return period. And that is all OK. Players sometime want a change of scenary; new challenges. The Colts?? Hard to stomach..but it's time to move on.

My parade reference was about why he did not attend, not whether or not he was there.

I have no problem admitting he may have left no matter what the Pats did but I still believe his contract could have been addressed/extended at any point after the past few seasons.

And yes we have to move on although I cringe at the prospect of moving on with Gimp-atica.:eek:

Last edited:
Adam wanted to pump his stats to get in the HOF.

He wanted to kick in a dome.

Should we have built one for him?

again and again.
thks Adam Vinatieri for what you have done with us.
but now the story is over.

it is the past.

why continue on it ?

i think that he did not want to stay (for some reasons) in Foxboro.

and now we have only to look the future.
a bright one surely !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick