PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo and Miami getting worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say the Dolphins have gotten worse. When you rank 29th in the NFL in offense, you have to make a lot of moves. McMichael may have been an odd move but when you get a 2nd round pick for your 3rd best receiver that's a pretty nice deal. Welker was a nice player and all, but nothing special. Our OL was terrible and that's where half of the cuts have come from. We also got a lot better on defense with the best pass rush in the NFL. We also have 9 picks in the upcoming draft and are on the right track. I think the Dolphins are going to suprise a few people this year. Don't count them out just yet.

*ROFLMAO* Damn Aqua, Welker is nothing special? That's a good one. Welker was for Miami what Troy Brown was for the Pats from 2000-2003 and what Wayne Chrebet was for the Jets for how many years? Welker was your teams best receiver last year.

The Phins had a lot more problems than just their O-line. QB was a big problem, though Harrington proved capable.

I think depth on defense is a problem for you guys. Just as much as it is for the Pats at LB and Safety.

I also agree with an earlier poster who said the Jets were overrated last year. They remind me of the Fins last year who played a weak schedule in the end in 2005. I think the Jets come back down to earth a little and finish around .500. The Bills have lost some of their best players and I don't expect a whole lot out of them, but they can still win some games.

All and all, I believe this has become the best division in football once again. It should be an exciting year and hopefully it ends with Miami on top. :)

I think that the Bills will surprise people.

As if this division wasn't easy enough,

Now the Bills loose, clement, fletcher, Mcgahee,

The Dolphins loose McMicheal who was a patriot killer along with Welker, and who cares about Harrington, Culpepper should be the starter anyways, at least they got Porter.

Our schedule may be tough this year, But at least the division is a wrap.

Oh yea those Jets with Thomas as their new back, well the bottom line is Pennington can't throw the ball more than 20 yards. They Should have gotton Garcia.

I think it's gonna be another year with six wins in this very weak division.:rocker: :singing:

Threads like this are stupid and for more than one reason such as.....

1) Injuries to key players like Brady,Thomas,Seymour ect : can change a potential division winner into an 'also ran' in a hurry.

2) Unexpected things happen every year in the divisions..I guess you thought New Orleans was going to be an NFC Division champ last year or San Diego was going to be the leagues best team,right?

3)Yeah,Pennington can't throw the ball 20 yards but the Jets beat us down at our home stadium last year - Remember?

4)What the heck is the word 'Gotton' from? - Sounds like a word you cheat with when playing Scabble

5) Its Freakin March! - And you are already claiming its an easy division win? - I didn't have to look to know its a rookie post :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One more thing...If Miami gets Moss and Moss and Culpepper once again team up and alongside of Moss is Chambers..You may want to change your opinion of how pathetic the Fins are,Their offense can be dangerous,Along with Ronnie Brown as well.

I hope ANY team but Miami gets Moss-I hate the Fins more than any other team.

A couple things.

Have the Patriots ever had a perfect 6-0 record in the division? They haven't in this impressive run of the last six years.

The Jets offense got a whole lot better with the addition of Jones. With Ferguson and Mangold entering their second year, and Coles and Cotchery they have some talent all over. Mangini's best move last offseason was providing for stability and continuity on the offensive line. Pennington doesn't have the greatest arm in the world, but he is still good. He can kill you with underneath passes, and those receivers are plenty capable of making a play after the catch. Their defense has little talent and you can't go far with schemes only. 8-8 to 10-6, but could potentially lose 9 games.

For all the talk of the Bills losses this offseason, they didn't lose much in the grand scheme of things. McGahee was a cancer on that team and they got a good deal of compensation for someone who isn't as good as he thinks he is. Clements, as has been mentioned, is replaceable in a Cover-2 with someone with far less talent. They aren't going to tear up the league, or the division, but will be competitive and pull off an upset or two. I see them going anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.

The Dolphins are the worst of the bunch. They don't have a quarterback, despite what some may say about Culpepper. It's highly, highly unlikely that he regains the mobility he had before his injury, and his decision making/ processing abilities were what led to all of those sacks last season. He just isn't the same guy who had 39 or whatever TDs and could buy time scrambling and heave it down the field to a really good receiver. Chris Chambers has potential but is so inconsistent never capitalizes. Ya, he can pull out 200 yards, but there was a reason Wes Welker led that team in receiving last season and not Chambers. Their OL is a liability, and if it's true that they are trying to get younger they will probably have some serious issues with continuity. Good luck. Defense is getting old. How long can Zach Thomas and Taylor carry that side of the football (was last year's Joey Porter the one they signed to a long term contract?). Five to eight wins at most.

I see the Division ending
Pats
Jets
Bills
Dolphins

but the Jets and Bills could easily flip flop.

Pennington rating of 82.6 17 td's 16 picks

Garcia rating of 95.8 (Better Than Mcnabbs) 10 td's 2 picks

And Garcia Had That Team Playing as Well as any one in December and Janurary.

What is So Special about Pennington?

well first off, playaction for garcia was a hell of a lot better than noodle arm b/c noodle arm doesnt have brian westbrook...

because of the jets terrible running backs, teams could go into dime coverage and still be fine covering the run...

again westbrook....its easier to get a higher completion rating, when you have the option of dumping it off to westbrook on a screen or as the outlet guy, and when you do have a guy who can turn a 2 yard loss (off a screen) into a 15 yard gain, just dumping it off to westbrook prevents more INT's...

noodle arm and mcnabb have lower completion ratings than garcia, oh thats right, noodle arm and mcnabb both played more than 4-5 games....less playing time = less passes thrown that turn into int's...

garcia proved to the whole league that he indeed is a system's guy, he can produce great numbers IF he's in a west coast offense...

dont forget, in college noodle arm had randy moss as his wr and would bomb it week in and week out...penni's arm isnt a good now, but he can still throw it longer than garcia...

Last edited:
jets wont finish with a winning record this year, even with the addition of jones...

it'll go

pats
dolphins
jets
bills

jets only did so well thsis year b/c the jets had the easiest schedule almost all the nfl let alone the division, now miami has some gimme's and will probably end up with an 8-8 to even 10-6, the only real loss for the dolphins is that they lost mcmichael, who was very very inconsistent last year, and welker was their #3 receiver...if they actually utilize chambers into the game plan insted of having him run 70 sprint excersizes on sundays....the dolphins can go a long way...their defense was one of the best, now adding porter, it just makes running against them that much harder...

the bills lost a lot of key players so coming in last place in the divison is all but certain...unless their spark they experienced in during the 2nd half of the year continues into the following year, they could take 3rd in the divison...

the afc east made a lot of moves this offseason, and its only been a couple weeks...and they're already starting to become a dominiant divison

jets wont finish with a winning record this year, even with the addition of jones...

it'll go

pats
dolphins
jets
bills

jets only did so well thsis year b/c the jets had the easiest schedule almost all the nfl let alone the division, now miami has some gimme's and will probably end up with an 8-8 to even 10-6, the only real loss for the dolphins is that they lost mcmichael, who was very very inconsistent last year, and welker was their #3 receiver...if they actually utilize chambers into the game plan insted of having him run 70 sprint excersizes on sundays....the dolphins can go a long way...their defense was one of the best, now adding porter, it just makes running against them that much harder...

the bills lost a lot of key players so coming in last place in the divison is all but certain...unless their spark they experienced in during the 2nd half of the year continues into the following year, they could take 3rd in the divison...

the afc east made a lot of moves this offseason, and its only been a couple weeks...and they're already starting to become a dominiant divison

I don't understand your logic. The East is a dominant division? How can it be dominating if the third place team won't even reach 8 wins? Seems to me like your predictions would equate to a very mediocre division.

I just don't see the Dolphins defense sustaining its "dominance" of last season. The front seven has a lot of "veteran" starters in Thomas, Traylor, Taylor, Holliday, and Porter. It's going to be tough to keep them healthy and contributing significantly.

The Dolphins are the worst of the bunch. They don't have a quarterback, despite what some may say about Culpepper. It's highly, highly unlikely that he regains the mobility he had before his injury, and his decision making/ processing abilities were what led to all of those sacks last season. He just isn't the same guy who had 39 or whatever TDs and could buy time scrambling and heave it down the field to a really good receiver. Chris Chambers has potential but is so inconsistent never capitalizes. Ya, he can pull out 200 yards, but there was a reason Wes Welker led that team in receiving last season and not Chambers. Their OL is a liability, and if it's true that they are trying to get younger they will probably have some serious issues with continuity. Good luck. Defense is getting old. How long can Zach Thomas and Taylor carry that side of the football (was last year's Joey Porter the one they signed to a long term contract?). Five to eight wins at most.

I see the Division ending
Pats
Jets
Bills
Dolphins

but the Jets and Bills could easily flip flop.

Just a few questions here,

Who will play Defense for the Bills?? Will they seceretly dress the Ravens in their Bill uni's before each Game?? Who will run the Ball for them?? And you are gonna tell me that Daunte is done, but JP will win games?? Also how many years now has Chad Pennington been on the brink of never returning yet he comes back and plays well for them even though his injured shoulder gets injured almost every season?? Daunte has been recovering from his injuries for almost 2 seasons now and if you knew anything about his type of injury, you'd know that's about the length of time it takes for that injury to heal well enough to play on.

I really would love to know what makes you an expert on Dauntes return, obviously you have information none of us Dolphin fans have, so why don't you share it with us....unless it's an opinion, in that case you can keep it because we all know the old saying, "Opinions are like***holes, everyone has one" and yours is nothing worth reading I'm sure, plus I'm sure nothing would make you happier to see him never return, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how you formed this "opinion".

The Dolphins have the Best Dfense in the division with the Defensive MVP Jason Taylor, leading tackler, Zach Thomas and now Joey Porter. We were the best before Joey. People who don't root for the Pats, Jets or Bills understand how much better this signing makes Miami's D, sorry you don't agree, but that might explain why you're not being paid for your opinion.

As for Miami's O, this is March....hense March madness on nearly every sports channel! FA has been open for just over a week and we're almost 2 months from the draft. If I were you, I'd wait till the season starts before I proclaim my "intelligence" to the rest of the world. If I remember correctly everyone was calling the Jets the worst in the division last year and name one person that had the Saints in the NFC title game. You have nothing more then hate motivating your opinion of this division and I'm sure your opinion of the order of the division is the same as your tolerance level of the teams in question.

*ROFLMAO* Damn Aqua, Welker is nothing special? That's a good one. Welker was for Miami what Troy Brown was for the Pats from 2000-2003 and what Wayne Chrebet was for the Jets for how many years? Welker was your teams best receiver last year.

The Phins had a lot more problems than just their O-line. QB was a big problem, though Harrington proved capable.

I think depth on defense is a problem for you guys. Just as much as it is for the Pats at LB and Safety.

I think that the Bills will surprise people.

I don't think you are in the position to tell me how good Welker is. I watch him played every week man, I know what he is capable of. He's a "nice" little player who can make a few catches a game and be a good #3 spot receiver. He's not Chrebet or Brown, so don't get that excited. The bottom line is you guys overpaid for him in both cash and picks.

Don't worry about the Dolphins' defense, it was 4th last year and will only get better.

I don't see who the Bills are going to suprise. They had 6 or 7 solid players to begin with, and have lost 3 of those already.

Don't worry about the Dolphins' defense, it was 4th last year and will only get better.

I think that's a strange claim. It could be true, but there is not doubt that even with Porter, Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor are the heart and soul of that defense, and they both are getting up there in age.

I think that's a strange claim. It could be true, but there is not doubt that even with Porter, Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor are the heart and soul of that defense, and they both are getting up there in age.

I hear ya' but do you have any idea how many consecutive years I've herd that?

5 years 18 million is overpaying for a very capable Wr who can also play special teams really well? It's funny how some are still stuck on the report from last week that we gave him a 30+million dollar deal. I can't name a 26 or 27 year old "good" receiver in the NFL that would of signed the deal Welker got. 5yrs 18 million is great in my book.

I hear ya' but do you have any idea how many consecutive years I've herd that?

I know what you mean, people have been saying it for a while but it's bound to come true eventually, right?

I don't see who the Bills are going to suprise. They had 6 or 7 solid players to begin with, and have lost 3 of those already.

Losman developed into a top 10-15 quarterback last year, and I fully expect him to continue to develop very nicely this year with a good offensive line in front of him. He's come a long way, and with Lee Evans he's dangerous.

Decent backs are a dime a dozen, McGahee would have one good game and then disappear.

If Spikes comes back healthy, with Schobel and some of last year's rookies, the defense is very good too. Bills fans hated both Clements and McGahee, so it really doesn't surprise me to see them gone.

For a team that spanked your boys towards the end of the year, I'd think you'd have nicer words about the Bills.

I have no facts to argue against you logically - except for the fact that last year we said very much the same thing about the AFC East - but in fact, it was one of the most talented divisions in the NFL.

With very few exceptions it has been competitive more often than not in recent history. Every year we write off the Jets, Bills and Dolphins and every year one, two, or even all three are in contention for a wild card spot.

How many of you predicted the Jets would be in the playoffs last year - let alone have a chance of winning the AFC East? How many of you predict ed that with just 2 weeks remaining in the regular season that Buffalo would be in contention for a playoff spot as well? Or that Miami would be a playoff contender with 3 weeks remaining in the regular season?

So I just can't bring myself to write any of them off so easilly again this year.

Last edited:
I think the only thing on earth keeping the gutted dollfins from the cellar, is the bills are even better at losing all their players then they are !!

miami just isn't a factor as usual.

they'll have to prove they can ever do better than they've done the last several years and actually become a threat to someone, anyone, before they are even worth discussing. they couldn't even win when they had marino!
never mind the gus frerottes and joey harrington's of the world.

nick saban knew a losing situation when he saw it.
he did the right thing to get the hell out of loser-ville.

Wasn't that the same argument last year?? Seems like that's your only defense (no pun intended) as to why Miami "might" be less effective...tell me, are your stars getting younger?? How old's Bruschi?? Vrabel?? Harrison?? did any of those guy's have the most tackles in the league last year?? How about MVP's or Probowls?? Gee, I guess age only matters if you're a Dolphin...even if you're the best in the league at your position.

NE
Bruschi-34
Vrabel-32
Harrison-35
Colvin-30
A-Thomas-29

Mia
Thomas-34
Taylor-33
Porter-29
Holliday-31
Spragan-31

Care to discuss age a little more??

Last edited:
Wasn't that the same argument last year?? Seems like that's your only defense (no pun intended) as to why Miami "might" be less effective...tell me, are your stars getting younger?? How old's Bruschi?? Vrabel?? Harrison?? did any of those guy's have the most tackles in the league last year?? How about MVP's or Probowls?? Gee, I guess age only matters if your a Dolphin...even if you're the best in the league at your position.

NE
Bruschi-34
Vrabel-32
Harrison-35
Colvin-30
A-Thomas-30

Mia
Thomas-34
Taylor-33
Porter-29
Holliday-31
Spragan-31

Care to discuss age a little more??

Sure. Our entire defensive line is less than 30. Both our starting cornerbacks are also under thrity. Our starting free safety (before being injured) is under thirty, and the heir apparent to Rodney is also under 30. For most defensive players age doesn't really become a factor until 33 or 34. Bruschi is defnitely showing his age, but guys like Colvin, Vrabel, and Thomas still have several good years. In the meantime it is expected that the Patriots will draft some LB's so that when those three guys start to reach that age we won't have to rely as much on them. The Patriots have few enough needs that they can afford to spend a few picks exclusively on LB's. The Fins on the other hand have several needs on offense alone which will make it harder for them to concentrate on getting younger on defense. Anyway my point was that I don't know how long Taylor and Thomas can go on carrying the Miami D. When players start to go down hill, they go down quickly.

By the way I don't get why you list Porter as 29 and Thomas as 30. They are both 29 but Porter is older.

Sure. Our entire defensive line is less than 30. Both our starting cornerbacks are also under thrity. Our starting free safety (before being injured) is under thirty, and the heir apparent to Rodney is also under 30. For most defensive players age doesn't really become a factor until 33 or 34. Bruschi is defnitely showing his age, but guys like Colvin, Vrabel, and Thomas still have several good years. In the meantime it is expected that the Patriots will draft some LB's so that when those three guys start to reach that age we won't have to rely as much on them. The Patriots have few enough needs that they can afford to spend a few picks exclusively on LB's. The Fins on the other hand have several needs on offense alone which will make it harder for them to concentrate on getting younger on defense. Anyway my point was that I don't know how long Taylor and Thomas can go on carrying the Miami D. When players start to go down hill, they go down quickly.

By the way I don't get why you list Porter as 29 and Thomas as 30. They are both 29 but Porter is older.

Ummm, is everything you write an excuse?? Miami also has plenty of youth, in the last two years we've drafted,

Matt Roth
Channing Crowder
Travis Daniels
Fred Evans
Rod Wright
Manny Wright
Jason Allen

In Our Secondary is

Will Allen- 6 seasons
Renaldo Hill-6 seasons
Yeremiah Bell-3 seasons
Andre Goodman-5 seasons

As you can see our youth is there. Enough with the age excuse, and also as you can see I fixed the age of A.Thomas, him and Joey are only about 6 months apart. And as far as the Draft, what do you think Miami will, do draft senior citizens??

Both Colvin and Thomas will line up at LB and DE, so you entire line is not under 30!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back