PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

brutal article on Goodell/NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have titled the threat: Great article about a scumbag and his enablers but yours is fine. Thanks for posting this although it won't change anything as the story doesn't have 'legs'. I especially like the part "the morally bankrupt owner of the Giants". Although most of the league ownership has the same lack of integrity, Mara sits atop the fetid pile if you had to rank them.

Maybe this comes from living in NYC for too long, but, in my experience, the Myra Kraft's of the world are the exception to the rule. Most spouses of people making eight figure salaries can only see the life of private jets, drivers and multiple vacation homes; they tend to look the other way when it comes to what their significant other is actually doing to earn the money that buys them the lifestyle to which they quickly become accustomed.

I am happy for you that you married a person with a moral compass.

I have morals but it's nothing special. Just had good parents who raised me and a level-headed spouse who keeps me in line. :p

I was speaking more to his perceived softness on violence towards women.

My issue is that Goody is playing politics and trying to find a happy medium with an issue that has nothing to do with politics and has no happy medium.

He either needs to stay as far away from this issue as possible or come down on those who commit violence towards women with the wrath of God.

You hit the nail on the head. The Owners want the public to hate Goodell.

"Where is the value in that?" If they hate Goodell they won't turn on them.

People have sold their souls for a hell of a lot less than $40 million a year.

At least for us here at Patsfans though, many of us hate the owners too and know that Goodell is doing what the owners want.
I don't know how widespread that feeling is league wide though.

Maybe a team needs to be burned before it starts to hit home to their fans.

I thought I read somewhere on this board that the Rats fans had no problem with Goodell......

Well duhhhh!!!!!

I agree with you but from what I am reading people agree with you but are not confident that the league power brokers are motivated to make a chance.

But seriously, do the owners REALLY want their fans to hate their commissioner? Where is the value in that?

The argument is that NHL owners couldn't care less if their fans hate Gary Betteman because he does his job in a low-key way.

The problem is that it IS backlashing against the owners.. Viewership is down pretty drastically. I'd bet that merchandise sales are down as well.. The owners and players are going to start feeling it.

It's probably impossible to quantify, but I really wonder if the owners consider where their progress to that $25 billion goal would be without this parade of avoidable controversies.

Do they look at how other leagues handle things? For example, Derrick Rose went through a civil trial over an alleged rape recently and the NBA commissioner didn't involve himself or take any actions that led to more coverage of the situation than it was already receiving.

Also, MLB had an executive from one team hack the database of another. That guy is either going to or is already in jail. Baseball handled this in a very low key manner. I don't think the team involved was even punished. There definitely wasn't an excessive penalty that led people to question if the games are on the level.

The executive was from the St. Louis Cardinals. He hacked the player and scouting database of the Houston Astros.. He received and is currently serving 46 months in jail and had to pay more than $279K in fines..

As of July, The Cardinals had not been punished by MLB, though MLB was investigating.

The NFL is more popular, so it's going to get more attention, but it shouldn't be as difficult as Goodell and company make it to keep that from being negative attention.

They NFL has been receiving TONS of negative press in the last year and, imho, it shows. Viewership is down. The league is going to need to make some wholesale changes.

Last edited:
The problem is that it IS backlashing against the owners.. Viewership is down pretty drastically. I'd bet that merchandise sales are down as well.. The owners and players are going to start feeling it.

I didn't know the answer so I looked it up. Merchandise was up in 2015. Unknown for 2016.

Tom Brady is NFL's No. 1 player in merchandise sales

I would guesstimate attendance and gate receipts are also healthy.

I think when the networks want to re-du the TV deals they will then feel true pain.

I didn't know the answer so I looked it up. Merchandise was up in 2015. Unknown for 2016.

Tom Brady is NFL's No. 1 player in merchandise sales

I would guesstimate attendance and gate receipts are also healthy.

I think when the networks want to re-du the TV deals they will then feel true pain.

I knew merchandise for 2015 was up. However, fans were railing against Goodell then like they are now.

Look at the controversies:
1) National Anthem
2) Cleats
3) DeflateGate ruling
4) Domestic Violence

Lot of people have stopped buying NFL Merchandise. I have. I know numerous people on here have. And numerous people have stopped watching games other than the Patriots (or their given teams)..

I knew merchandise for 2015 was up. However, fans were railing against Goodell then like they are now.

Look at the controversies:
1) National Anthem
2) Cleats
3) DeflateGate ruling
4) Domestic Violence

Lot of people have stopped buying NFL Merchandise. I have. I know numerous people on here have. And numerous people have stopped watching games other than the Patriots (or their given teams)..

I hear you. My personal time in watching games has gone way down. But I'm a Pats fan so that is to be expected.

I do think there is a faction of owners who would be supportive of Goody being ousted. The influential ones need to come together to make it happen.

I'm just saying that they haven't crossed that pain threshold to put the "Can Goody" plan in motion.

The other sad reality is some women are simply attracted to violent thugs. Last I read, Janay Rice is still with Ray Rice even though he's out of a job. If I remember correctly, she didn't want to press any charges against him.

It's certainly an embarrassment and a PR problem to the league when this stuff becomes public, but it's naive to believe that the league can really do all that much to actually solve the issue of domestic violence. Fines/suspensions may have some limited deterrent effect but they're certainly not going to make these kinds of problems go away and it's really all about send a message.

These penalties are really all about the league making it clear that it doesn't condone this sort of behavior. Since the league is run by a certified moron who issues wildly inconsistent penalties, the light penalties to teams/player in Goodell's good grace are going to be interpreted as a message saying be that "we don't take domestic violence seriously."

Well there are many reasons why the victim stays with the abuser which are well documented.

I'm not asking the NFL to solve DV issues. I'm asking them to handle them properly which includes not putting the responsibility for action on the victim. "She didn't talk so there's nothing we can do" or " No Video....no action" " Oh wait there's a video ......lifetime ban" WTF is that???

Talk to a DV org. Set up a program and stick to it.

If the police show up to a player's door because of a domestic dispute = mandatory counseling.

If that dispute ends with a conviction = 4 games for the first offense + continued counseling.

Get experts involved instead of winging it off the top of his head while doing a solid for his buddy.

Last edited:
I only watch games on NFL Game Pass so I never see commercials. Does anyone have a link to who the most influential sponsors/advertisers are during NFL games? I would like to send emails to all of them expressing my displeasure that they support a league that doesn't care about domestic violence.

I only watch games on NFL Game Pass so I never see commercials. Does anyone have a link to who the most influential sponsors/advertisers are during NFL games? I would like to send emails to all of them expressing my displeasure that they support a league that doesn't care about domestic violence.

for the 2015-16 season:

7qknX1J.jpg

NFL Ad Rates Soar as Marketers Clamor for Time in TV's Last Great Reach Vehicle

I think that's part of it but I also think it's a combination of things.

One that I find interesting is the CTE angle which has been around for about 15 years or so.

I believe parents have been increasingly opting for their kids to play in other less dangerous sports because of CTE concerns, and the lack of trust in the NFL's handling of it, that may have led to some of the decline.

Thank you bbobbo.

Well there are many reasons why the victim stays with the abuser which are well documented.

I'm not asking the NFL to solve DV issues. I'm asking them to handle them properly which includes not putting the responsibility for action on the victim. "She didn't talk so there's nothing we can do" or " No Video....no action" " Oh wait there's a video ......lifetime ban" WTF is that???

Talk to a DV org. Set up a program and stick to it.

If the police show up to a player's door because of a domestic dispute = mandatory counseling.

If that dispute ends with a conviction = 4 games for the first offense + continued counseling.

Get experts involved instead of winging it of the top of his head while doing a solid for his buddy.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Sadly, "reasonable" does not seem to be a job requirement for commissioner of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

With Goodell it's either "spin the wheel of discipline" or here's an opportunity to screw the team that wins too much coupled with some dipsh*tty "No More" ad campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft