PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns after Gocong - the rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see him playing inside and out, he's got that capacity and he rushes well off the edge and creates pressure as a blitzer - which people seem to forget from the Eagles visit in 2007.

Good post. He's only 26. It has been well documented he was miscast in Philly as a 4-3 DE. At 263lbs he can play SILB or OLB. I feel more comfortable with him and his NFL experience over a conversion project like that of a Jerry Hughes who was a decent DE but too small for a 3-4 DE. Sergio Kindle is no sure thing at OLB. Yet the consensus is we would give a second for a Hughes but not Gocong. I guess I do not get it. An NFL ready player who has as much upside as any Draft choice and still young and can play inside or out.
DW Toys

Good post. He's only 26. It has been well documented he was miscast in Philly as a 4-3 DE. At 263lbs he can play SILB or OLB. I feel more comfortable with him and his NFL experience over a conversion project like that of a Jerry Hughes who was a decent DE but too small for a 3-4 DE. Sergio Kindle is no sure thing at OLB. Yet the consensus is we would give a second for a Hughes but not Gocong. I guess I do not get it. An NFL ready player who has as much upside as any Draft choice and still young and can play inside or out.
DW Toys

I know from my point of view, which is limited because I've never seen him play, do you really want to give up a 2nd rouder, for an unknown? And I know drafting a player in the 2nd round is also an unknown but we have him tied in for 4 years.. And with this years draft begin so deep, I rather take a shot at Graham in the 1st round

This site is laughable sometimes. People want to give up a 2nd for Gocong, he of 4 sacks in 3 years playing in a high pressure defense. The same guy who Philly fans font like and were upset that witherspoon was cut instead of him.

I see a trend where people on this site obsees with lightskinned linebackers and call of them the next Vrabel.

Seward
Barwin
Gocong

this draft is loaded with conversion guys, would rather take a chance on them.

You obviously are not aware of the GLORY of Adam Seward! Repent and you shall be saved!

I know from my point of view, which is limited because I've never seen him play, do you really want to give up a 2nd rouder, for an unknown? And I know drafting a player in the 2nd round is also an unknown but we have him tied in for 4 years.. And with this years draft begin so deep, I rather take a shot at Graham in the 1st round

Gocong is not really an unknown in the NFL. He was miscast but still was considered a fair player. His RFA is a third rounder which is where the Eagles see his value. I think a 3-4 Team sees more value. Any Draft choice you have an 18% shot with for success. Even if Gocong becomes about equivalent to say a Roosevelt Colvin, he might still be worth a back of the second round choice. Colvin was serviceable when healthy and we paid him a big salary which we will not have to break the bank for Gocong. He's actually lined up and played in the NFL and has added value for BB in that he is a very good special teams player. That is a BB type player with added value. Nobody mentions that.

Graham has potential, but beyond that who knows. Like you say "a shot".
DW Toys

Gocong is not really an unknown in the NFL. He was miscast but still was considered a fair player. His RFA is a third rounder which is where the Eagles see his value. I think a 3-4 Team sees more value. Any Draft choice you have an 18% shot with for success. Even if Gocong becomes about equivalent to say a Roosevelt Colvin, he might still be worth a back of the second round choice. Colvin was serviceable when healthy and we paid him a big salary which we will not have to break the bank for Gocong. He's actually lined up and played in the NFL and has added value for BB in that he is a very good special teams player. That is a BB type player with added value. Nobody mentions that.

Graham has potential, but beyond that who knows. Like you say "a shot".
DW Toys

I understand what you are saying but here is a couple of things from my point of view that need to be addressed:

1. He was tendered a 3rd round pick. To me thats the starting point of the negotiation.. I'd start off with a 6th pick if he's of interest
2. I rather take a 18% chance on a 4 year player than a one or two year shot with a "miscast veteran".. And what is 18%? Does that mean he's an elite player? 18% .. what does that actually mean??
3. Colvin had a proven track record before coming here, if Chris had shown that at any point of his career, I would say go for it (again I have not watched him but his stats in a blitz 1st team don't do him justice)
4. If he comes here with the chance to start or rotate but we know he can be a good special teams player, I have to say the real value for him is a 3rd day pick (can't believe I just said that.. 3rd day pick..heheheh)

Last edited:
Why would we get gocong to play inside instead of giving mckenzie a shot.
Also gocong would play outside, he was a college DE. And wheb Mangini was with the Jets he traded back to pick Gocong, but philly surprised and took him. He was seen as a passrusher, never an inside guy.

Also gocong would play outside, he was a college DE. And wheb Mangini was with the Jets he traded back to pick Gocong, but philly surprised and took him. He was seen as a passrusher, never an inside guy.

Some guys just project differently in the NFL. A guy like Eric Norwood was a prolific pass rusher for the past few years in the SEC, racking up the most sacks in South Carolina history.

Yet, many project him as best fitting at SILB in the pros. Bruschi was a DE who was a pass rusher in college and transitioned to ILB.

I'm not a fan of Gocong, I like McKenzie more. But if Mangini was looking at him, it could've been as an ILB. He might've been seen as a pass rusher in the eyes of the public, but not in the eyes of the personnel guys. Was Edelman seen as a WR in the draft? Not by many, but the Pats scouting department did.

Why wouldn't you add to your odds of filling a position by bringing in a veteran if you thought he could do the job?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you add to your odds of filling a position by bringing in a veteran if you thought he could do the job?

+1.

In addition to that, I'm still looking for a valid argument in opposition to Gocong. He is without question the best available 34 linebacker. Be it the Mike, the non-existant ficticious position known as "SILB", or some outside work, the dude has it.

Anyone know what his wingspan is? That could make my mind up pretty quickly if he could play outside.

I agree, Edge OLB. He can play SILB in a pinch.
DW Toys

+1.

In addition to that, I'm still looking for a valid argument in opposition to Gocong. He is without question the best available 34 linebacker. Be it the Mike, the non-existant ficticious position known as "SILB", or some outside work, the dude has it.

Anyone know what his wingspan is? That could make my mind up pretty quickly if he could play outside.

6'2" 263lbs

GOCONG WAS IN THE D LINE GROUP:

40-yard dash Mark Anderson Alabama 4.61
Charles Bennett Clemson 4.70
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.70
Elvis Dumervil Louisville 4.75
Charlton Keith Kansas 4.78
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.80

Vertical jump Mark Anderson Alabama 42
Ray Edwards Purdue 39
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 38½
Jason Hatcher Grambling 35½
Manaia Brown BYU 34½
Julian Jenkins Stanford 34½

Broad jump Mark Anderson Alabama 10-foot-7
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 10-foot-3
Copeland Bryan Arizona 9-foot-9
Charles Bennett Clemson 9-foot-7
Parys Haralson Tennessee 9-foot-7
Ray Edwards Purdue 9-foot-6

Three-cone Mark Anderson Alabama 6.95
Charlton Keith Kansas 7.03
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 7.05
Copeland Bryan Arizona 7.11
Julian Jenkins Stanford 7.11

Short shuttle Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.08
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.22
Julian Jenkins Stanford 4.23
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.26
Copeland Bryan Arizona 4.30

Long shuttle Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 11.35
Mark Anderson Alabama 11.75
Copeland Bryan Arizona 11.83
Charlton Keith Kansas 11.98
Charles Bennett Clemson 12.04

VERSUS LB IN THAT DRAFT:

40-yard dash:
Florida State DE Kamerion Wimbley -- 4.61
Clemson DE Charles Bennett -- 4.70
Tennessee DE Parys Haralson -- 4.76
Boston College DE Mathias Kiwanuka -- 4.78

Three-cone drill:
Purdue DE Rob Ninkovich -- 6.96
Florida State DE Kamerion Wimbley -- 6.97
Florida DE Jeremy Mincey -- 6.99
Kansas DE Charlton Keith -- 7.03
Arizona DE Copeland Bryan -- 7.11
Stanford DE Julian Jenkins -- 7.11

Short shuttle:
Boston College DE Mathias Kiwanuka -- 4.13
Purdue DE Rob Ninkovich -- 4.18
Stanford DE Julian Jenkins -- 4.23
Florida DE Jeremy Mincey -- 4.25
Tennessee DE Parys Haralson -- 4.26
Syracuse DE Ryan LaCasse -- 4.30
Arizona DE Copeland Bryan -- 4.30

Long shuttle:
Purdue DE Rob Ninkovich -- 11.33
Arizona DE Copeland Bryan -- 11.83
Kansas DE Charlton Keith -- 11.98
Clemson DE Charles Bennett -- 12.04

Vertical jump:
Auburn DE Stanley McClover -- 39
Florida State DE Kamerion Wimbley -- 38½
Ohio State DE Mike Kudla -- 37
Grambling DE Jason Hatcher -- 35½
BYU DE Manaia Brown -- 34½
Stanford DE Julian Jenkins -- 34½

Broad jump:
Arizona DE Copeland Bryan -- 9-9
Clemson DE Charles Bennett -- 9-7
Tennessee DE Parys Haralson -- 9-7
Florida State DE Kamerion Wimbley -- 10-9
Boston College DE Kiwanuka -- 10
Purdue DE Rob Ninkovich -- 9-8
Florida DE Jeremy Mincey -- 9-8

Chris was pretty impressive.

DW Toys

if they wanted him more than the browns and the browns offer a 3rd. the pats could offer 53 for Cocong and the eagles 3rd.

if they wanted him more than the browns and the browns offer a 3rd. the pats could offer 53 for Cocong and the eagles 3rd.

In a minute!
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back