PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BREAKING: Stork traded after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you really just call Bryan Stork an excellent selection? He was an OK pick, primarily because the 2014 draft class for the entire league wasn't very good. Overall he was often injured and inconsistent when on the field.

He was not good in the SB he was beat by Bennett and picked up a costly holding penalty.

I get where you're coming from, the last year and a half has been nearly worst case scenario out of what we might have expected out of him coming out of the SB win. Not that long ago the pick was looking like a home run, and it turns out it wasn't one. But Stork was one of the better linemen on a SB champion, and a significant part of the turnaround that swung us from .500 early on to SB champion. Based on that alone, as a 4th round pick I'm inclined to give him an overall favorable grade. It's a shame he didn't stick around and keep contributing for longer, but I'll take one year of being instrumental to the team over four years of JAGness that you get out of the typical 4th rounder.

FYI here is an article from someone who would actually know, Matt light who blames the coaching staff for not varying the silent snap counts

Former Patriot Matt Light blames lack of preparation for loss to Broncos

I read the article. Light guesses that they didn't practice the snap count at all. Are you really going to say his words should be taken literally? He also puts in on more than just the preparation:

“It wasn’t the talent on the field. They could have beat that team with a little bit more preparation and doing things a little better, and it didn’t happen.’’

which clearly doesn't rule out Stork's tipping of the snaps.

Well, it doesn't matter. I'm not going down these rabbit holes with you again. We're done here.

I read the article. Light guesses that they didn't practice the snap count at all. Are you really going to say his words should be taken literally? He also puts in on more than just the preparation:

which clearly doesn't rule out Stork's tipping of the snaps.

Well, it doesn't matter. I'm not going down these rabbit holes with you again. We're done here.
Ok that is fine. There is no rabbit hole. I am confident that when plays are closed it is not Bryan storks responsibility to call how long after he signals the trigger to his teammates he should snap the ball (which we can all agree is predetermined and part of the play call). You are free to believe what you want. And yes we are done.

No. Bryan Stork was the starting center on a Super Bowl champion.

Kontra, you know better. Stork has had multiple concussions and was traded because there are more reliable options. Stork was an excellent selection who paid immediate dividends.

I'm looking at the draft as a whole and then taking into consideration that one of the better picks of that draft, Stork, is now off the team and wasn't able to give them a full two seasons of quality play. That draft was and is a disaster. The saving grace of it is a guy they didn't even draft and, instead, came to them as a UDFA. But help me understand your position better. Do you think 2014 was a quality draft?

Stork has been doing the head bob since he was at FSU, by the way. That's not something that just started happening with the Pats. Going back and watching their 2014 BCS Championship game against Auburn, I actually believe Auburn was able to get a jump because of that. Both of their ends, particularly early on when they took the lead, were beating FSU's tackles badly off the ball. I invite those of you who think this was limited to the Pats to go back and watch that game if you can. If you can't, Stork's pre-draft YouTube videos also show it. It was a bad habit and Phillips picked up on it. The rest is history.

Stork has been doing the head bob since he was at FSU, by the way. That's not something that just started happening with the Pats. Going back and watching their 2014 BCS Championship game against Auburn, I actually believe Auburn was able to get a jump because of that. Both of their ends, particularly early on when they took the lead, were beating FSU's tackles badly off the ball. I invite those of you who think this was limited to the Pats to go back and watch that game if you can. If you can't, Stork's pre-draft YouTube videos also show it. It was a bad habit and Phillips picked up on it. The rest is history.

if that's the case, dave duglegiermo should have corrected it. i'm guessing this is why his contract wasn't renewed.

"With their 2nd round pick, the NE Pats fleece Miami of Wes Welker."

Just sayin'. ;)

....and a 4th for Randy that same year.

IIRC there have been a number of reports and analysis done that tells us since 2000, the Pats are in the top ~5 in drafting players that "contribute" at the NFL level. I think the Colts were #1 in one of them. :confused:

Clearly that Pats know how to build a contenting roster every year and are exhaustive in pursuing all avenues in doing so.

No team hits on a draft every year. I think it was Ron Wolff who said if a team is able to hit on a starter and two contributors every year they are ahead of the game from a player development and a salary cap perspective. Over the last 17 or so years, the Pats have pretty much done that with a couple of years getting away from them.

if that's the case, dave duglegiermo should have corrected it. i'm guessing this is why his contract wasn't renewed.

I think its become evident that Googs was a ****ty coach for this team.

With the exception of Stork they had a seasoned Scar -coached line prior to Googs arriving in 2014. Granted they had injuries last year they clearly did not improve fundamentally.

I'm not sure about this 100% but I think if Scar coached that line they beat Denver.

Last edited:

Well yeah, he should have seen it then. Winston practically had to step up in the pocket before he even took the third step while dropping back.

Just read in the Globe he's decided to join Tim Tebow in playing baseball. Red Sox are going to sign them as a sign the Patriots are slipping and can't afford their big name players due to how much money they are losing.

I'm not sure how people think a silent count works. It's not up to the center to just snap when he feels like it. that would be just as bad as tipping the snap. It would be just like not having a snap count and the offense moves on the snap.
Instead there is a trigger. The obvious trigger is the center indicating he is ready since it flies off of him.
The "snap count" is how long after the trigger the ball gets snapped. The center doesn't make that call and typically you vary it. In the afccg we didn't vary it, it was one beat after the trigger. Certainly someone created a method where the snap was being tipped but to blame it on stork is just ill informed.

2007 is hands down the worst draft class.

Stork, despite being dropped after losing a TC battle to an UDFA, is not all that bad a player. I'll always remember him as the guy that stepped in and played at RT, and did just fine. How many interior linemen can pull that off?

Stork is not the first guy to lose his job to a lower drafted/undrafted player in the Belichick era: Brady over Bledsoe, Allen over Mesko, Green-Ellis over Moroney...

2007 is hands down the worst draft class.

I find it hard to say that trading draft picks to get Wes Welker and Randy Moss constitutes a draft that is anything but excellent.

Not being on the same page as Brady guarantees you a seat on the bench or a tix out of town

Ding..Ding..Ding! We have a winner!

Who are some of the Centers that Brady (who, when it comes to football smarts, might be the smartest NFL player in history) has played behind?

Well, there was Dan Koppen for many years. Talking about Koppen, BB said: “ Seeing the front seven, even sometimes the secondary rotation on a particular play...he does that very well and is on the same page with our quarterback...He's really good at that, probably as good as anybody I've ever coached." Clearly Koppen was an extremely intelligent player to recognize the defense in that way, and he was always on the same page as Brady.

Then there was Connolly and Wendell. Neither were great centers (especially Wendell), but everything I've read indicates that both were overachieving ultimate professionals who probably didn't have the talent for the NFL but managed to hang on by being smart, professional, and tough. About Connolly (at his retirement), BB said: "Dan Connolly exemplified everything our program requires of players. He was tough and dependable, smart and team oriented and his work ethic ensured he improved on an annual basis to reach his potential." Wendell had a 3.2 average in history(!) at Fresno State, and was one of the players featured in an article about how smart the Patriots were a couple of years ago.

So, after having smart centers like Koppen, Connolly, and Wendell, we get reports that "Brady had gotten into it with Stork for not knowing the line checks. Andrews is more cerebral, knows plays in & out." Is anyone really surprised that Andrews has won the job and Stork is gone?

Surprised Squeeky and the Douche didn't turn this into Brady has taking over the team and how dare he kick a teammate out of town how arrogant of him! Heartless, gutless, arrogant liar.

Ding..Ding..Ding! We have a winner!

So, after having smart centers like Koppen, Connolly, and Wendell, we get reports that "Brady had gotten into it with Stork for not knowing the line checks. Andrews is more cerebral, knows plays in & out." Is anyone really surprised that Andrews has won the job and Stork is gone?

Yes, me.

If BS was beaten for the job at Center by Andrews because Andrews had a better grasp of the calls, why didn't they keep Stork to play elsewhere on the line (they trusted him enough to be their emergency LT last year)? Stork was a talented player and it's not as though they don't have needs at other positions.

I'm convinced it was the concussions. I'd guess that BB told Stork to retire. Perhaps he still will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes