PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News we got Stallworth..

Status
Not open for further replies.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

leave the #s to the armchair GMs -- which we seem to have in abundance. mindblowing to find negative commentary in this thread. Dear New England, it's called Prozac.

This signing was a memo to the rest of the league: Hope you all enjoyed crowding the box against the Pats...sure was fun to harass the Patsies while it lasted.

Time to pick your poison.

Time to sweat.

Should you fail to respect the perimeter of the Pats attack, they will now be the ones having all the fun.

The earlier and more often the Pats score, the more chances Adalius gets to crush the QB. All you O-haters should poll our defense and ask them how much easier their jobs become when the O is productive.

Then ask our O-line how much easier their job becomes when they don't have to hold blocks in pass pro for eternity, or worry about an extra defender shooting a gap at the last second. And finally, ask our best player how much easier his job is against a spread-out defense that's forced to react to US.

Or how much nicer it is to play without the fear of a career-ending hit after every single pass.

Get ready for 3rd and 2 instead of 3rd and 5. Get ready for improved field position, more points per drive, better red zone efficiency...get ready for teams consistently chasing us...and for the defense unleashing on them.

Football 101: upgrading an offense releases the anchor off an otherwise solid defense (see: any great dynasty team in history). Upgrading a defense at the expense of the offense makes you the 2006 Bears.

Still think an upgrade at ILB or DB would pay more dividends than Stallworth?

Every team deals with the injury advisory.

Sit back and relax -- the Patriots are taking the NFL to school....again.

Our passing game should be SO much improved compared to last year. We opened last year with:
- a holdout #1 who left us high and dry
- a FA vet who was learning the system
- a rookie with hamstring problems
- a 35 year old slot receiver
- Bam Childress.

This year we open with:
- a Branch replacement/improvement in Stallworth, the fastest WR we've ever had
- an experienced Caldwell, who despite the Indy drops, had a terrific 1st year
- an experienced Gaffney, who showed us a LOT in the playoffs
- a terrific slot guy in Welker
- Jackson in his 2nd season - assuming a full recovery by mid-year, this guy can be Eric Moulds the 2nd.
- 2 terrific pass receiving TE's in Watson and Thomas

haha , so you're saying a cut rodney, and a colvin and a poole is equal to a stallworth adalius ? i dont see it....

After the fact, both Harrison and Poole got All-Pro votes.

I hope two of these guys get All-Pro votes too.

But given Stallworth's history, I'm expecting him to miss 5-6 games.

He's only missed more than 4 games once (in '03 when he missed 5). He missed 3 his rookie year and 4 last season. Where are you getting 5-6 games?

we'll see once the 07 season begins, stallworth is a big walking hamstring issue from what i remember. the only real difference so far is you guys still kept your draft picks which is great.

like i said though, free agency winners = regular season losers usually

we'll see if that trend gets broken.

I see that dumb bunny quoted above is so savvy, and so seasoned as a regular winner... oops.

He's only missed more than 4 games once (in '03 when he missed 5). He missed 3 his rookie year and 4 last season. Where are you getting 5-6 games?

I was on another board and a person made the same excellent point re: his games played the last 3 seasons, which opened my eyes to his injury history being pretty much anecdotal.

My view of Stallworth (as well as many others I'm sure) is clouded by A) the beginning of his career being dominating by hammy issues; and B) same hammy issues cropping up last year in Philly.

However, he was healthy to end the season and had a good playoff.

Really, even if Stallworth gets dinged this year, as long as he is healthy for the stretch run and the playoffs, that is all we need.

haha cfl smack, i love it

speaking of cfl smack...lawrence phillips :eek:

Is this supposed to be in-my-face? I can't tell. Because Lawrence Phillips never played for the Patriots, not before or after he went to MUNtreal with football "fans" like you.

Way to go on a limb given that AD's 2007 cap hit is $3.4 million.

Miguel old buddy, you'd think after all these years, you'd let me slide one time. :D

Last edited:
Injuries are part of the game. How many players were hurt on this team last year? It seemed like half our DBs were on IR. Look at what's happened to Rodney the past two years. Daniel Graham missed games the last two years look at what the Broncos paid him. If the guy PRODUCES on the field and stays out of trouble off of it, I'll be happy. Every player gets hurt, it's part of the game. The Pats just have to make sure that they are prepared for it.

Pats1, my comments re: Stallworth were relevant back when I thought we'd invested a ton of $$$ and years. I feel differently now that I understand it's essentially a 1-year deal.

Wow! I just woke up this morning (California time), and expected it to say "Donte' Stallworth signs with the Dolphins". WOW! I'm so suprised. What a move. This definetly makes the WR group a lot better than last year. With the additions of Welker and Stallworth will only make it easier for Caldwell, Gaffney, Thomas and Watson to get open. Don't think because the Pats got Stallworth means the team is worried about Chad Jackson's inury. Whether or not he returns, the Patriots needed improvement at the WR position. This offseason has been fantastic. And the draft isn't even here yet. Two first rounders? Are you kidding me?

Last edited:
Well when I first saw this deal I thought it was the Patriots version of JD Drew.

After seeing the contract terms, its not bad at all. Personally I still don't think this guy is that good and I don't trust his injury/substance issues.

Its probably worth taking a 1 year flyer on him though.

The Pats have their deep threat locked up now. I was harping on the apparent weakness of the Pats WR corps all offseason. With the additions of Welker and Stallworth they have now clearly addressed that issue. Happy days! Brady has got to be happy with his new weapons. :)

Last edited:
The Pats have their deep threat locked up now. I was harping on the apparent weakness of the Pats WR corps all offseason. With the additions of Welker and Stallworth they have now clearly addressed that issue. Happy days! Brady has got to be happy with his new weapons. :)

And also important is the fact that both our new WR's can train with Brady this Spring and get their timing down with Tom. I am so much happier with this approach than drafting a stud WR and WAITING for him to sign a contract and get to camp then WAITING for him to learn the playbook and still WAITING for him to develop the timing with the QB and WAITING for him to adjust to the speed of the NFL, plus NFL defenses ....etc.

Furthermore, with C. Jackson having the ACL surgery (have had it myself) - that gives a possible chance he will start the season on PUP list. So when is he going to replace all those reps he has missed with Brady last year and this offseason? With (law of averages) at least one WR injury during the season (and if Jackson is on PUP), then there is STILL room for Troy Brown. He starts the season in Jacksons place and then takes the place of whomever is injured when the PUP period is over and Jackson comes back. So basically 6 WR's -1 injury = 5 great game day ready receivers (no more promoting from practice squad 1 day before game).
D. Stallworth, R. Caldwell, J. Gaffney, Welker, T. Brown, C. Jackson

Pretty impressive group if you ask me! What was a weakness now becomes a strength.

Last edited:
This is great news....No more cheating defenses....They going to respect our WR.....I ould like our 2 #1 draft picks will be safety and a cb,either order....

And also important is the fact that both our new WR's can train with Brady this Spring and get their timing down with Tom. I am so much happier with this approach than drafting a stud WR and WAITING for him to sign a contract and get to camp then WAITING for him to learn the playbook and still WAITING for him to develop the timing with the QB and WAITING for him to adjust to the speed of the NFL, plus NFL defenses ....etc.

Furthermore, with C. Jackson having the ACL surgery (have had it myself) - that gives a possible chance he will start the season on PUP list. So when is he going to replace all those reps he has missed with Brady last year and this offseason? With (law of averages) at least one WR injury during the season (and if Jackson is on PUP), then there is STILL room for Troy Brown. He starts the season in Jacksons place and then takes the place of whomever is injured when the PUP period is over and Jackson comes back. So basically 6 WR's -1 injury = 5 great game day ready receivers (no more promoting from practice squad 1 day before game).
D. Stallworth, R. Caldwell, J. Gaffney, Welker, T. Brown, C. Jackson

Pretty impressive group if you ask me! What was a weakness now becomes a strength.

The real danger may be relying on Stallworth to be a #1. That's a good WR corps, but still lacks a legit #1.

Stallworth has been both inconsistent and injured. He has yet to put together a real, solid, #1 season. He's always been paid on potential. Five years running.

Last edited:
Stallworth has been both inconsistent and injured. He has yet to put together a real, solid, #1 season. He's always been paid on potential. Five years running.

Actually, Stallworth has been pretty consistent over his five years in the league. He's averaged 47 catches and 6 TDs and hasn't really strayed that far from his averages, in either direction.

That's a lot better type of consistency than we have gotten from our last three attempts to put a speed merchant on the field -- Tony Simmons, Bethel Johnson, and Chad Jackson. They were consistent, too. Consistently giving ZERO production!

47 catches and 6 TDs from a stretch the field 4.3 forty guy is something the Pats have been trying to add to mix since Belichick got here. #1WR, #2WR #3WR, who cares? That's like the stupid Dolphins fans saying that Welker was a #3WR and ignoring the fact that he led the team in receptions last year.

As regarding the contract I would say the deal is structured simalar to what Javon Walker and Denver did....anyone have them figures. That was like a year deal turning into a longer deal if he did good. Something about him getting huge signing bonuses after the first year, basically first year cheap.

:rocker: :D

The real danger may be relying on Stallworth to be a #1. That's a good WR corps, but still lacks a legit #1.

I can't see any danger in that at all. It's not like we've had a legitmate number one in the past anyway. At worst, we have 4 really solid #2's which is more than any team in the NFL can boast.Not the best receiving core.but a top 5 imo. Maybe better by mid season,we will wait and see.

Stallworth does give Brady a legitimate deep threat and with his speed combined with Watson's speed,The possesion Wr's Welker,Caldwell and Gaffney are going to love life. I can see Stallworth becoming the #1 threat in New England and I'm sure Rosenhaus and Donte feel the same way based on the most excellent contract they signed.

Last edited:

If this is true (Stallworth not real #1 WR), then it begs the question - Does the Patriots system need a true #1 receiver ? (distributing ball evenly to TE's, RB's or whoever is the 'Open' WR).

I am not sure if any top 10 WR would ever be happy in the Pats system as they wont get the consistant catches (over 5 per game) that a top ten WR wants. Moss, Owens, Johnson, etc would be having press conferences after each game complaining about lack of respect. My stats check on Stallworth shows 3+ catches (3.x) per game during his career so that is fine and he should get that number of catches per game here as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday