PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News Per Schefter: Long-term contract for Hernandez!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BB realize his past mistakes, and now he doesn't want to make the same one with Hernandez and Gronk.

The Patriots have the best pure TE in the game and one of the two or three best move TEs in the game.
And they locked up for 7 years!

Words can not describe how excited I am about this.

I love these two TE almost as much as TFB, so great to know they will be around for a while.

Thank you Pats.

It was nice knowing you, Wes.

I hope he receives the huge contract he deserves, it just probably won't be in New England now.

Time to stash Ebert to the PS and have someone drill the playbook into his head for the next 12 months.

Last edited:
Crap, awesome. From your subject I thought you were calling for an extension not that he actually got one.

AWESOME.

:eat2:

Last edited:
Crap, awesome. From your subject I thought you were calling for an extension not that he actually got one.

AWESOME.

Good point, I just edited the title.

I hope he receives the huge contract he deserves, it just probably won't be in New England now.

Time to stash Ebert to the PS and have someone drill the playbook into his head for the next 12 months.

Urrggghh, I thought about this too. I don't Welker going anywhere but here. He's such a good player and the chemistry between him and Brady is great. Yes, I'm still on the "no one can replace Welker" wagon!

Urrggghh, I thought about this too. I don't Welker going anywhere but here. He's such a good player and the chemistry between him and Brady is great. Yes, I'm still on the "no one can replace Welker" wagon!

Yeah, I think Welker got sort of shafted by the Pats. He has done a ton for this team since 2007. I hope he stays, since the Pats will need him in the middle. The offense isn't the same without him in the middle.

AWESOME.

Same here. Maybe a mod tweak in the future? (Edit: I see now that was done while I was posting)

Moving on: The "cheap" Pats sure have locked up some core guys the las few years: Brady, Wilfork, Mankins, Mayo, now the TEs. Love that with GronkNandez they stayed ahead of their growing market value. Gotta think that's a difference with Welker, age and future outlook (beyond a year or two).

So who's next on the long-term radar? I guess Chung though he hasn't been the steady core player we'd have hoped by now (injuries). SeaBass -- injury questions. McCourty — too much to prove. Spikes ... mmm. My guess at this point is that the next big extensions might not come 'til Hightower/Jones hit year 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Why?

The Gronk, AHern, Brady, Welker combination was going to work together.

Now that the two young studs are signed. There is now a level of certainty that can be planned going forward with Wes.

By age, Gronk and AHern were going to be first. Now the two older guys will work more in tandem.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Welker got sort of shafted by the Pats. He has done a ton for this team since 2007. I hope he stays, since the Pats will need him in the middle. The offense isn't the same without him in the middle.

Welker is making 9.5 million this year. Wish I could get shafted like that. :)

Same here. Maybe a mod tweak in the future? (Edit: I see now that was done while I was posting)

Moving on: The "cheap" Pats sure have locked up some core guys the las few years: Brady, Wilfork, Mankins, Mayo, now the TEs. Love that with GronkNandez they stayed ahead of their growing market value. Gotta think that's a difference with Welker, age and future outlook (beyond a year or two).

So who's next on the long-term radar? I guess Chung though he hasn't been the steady core player we'd have hoped by now (injuries). SeaBass -- injury questions. McCourty — too much to prove. Spikes ... mmm. My guess at this point is that the next big extensions might not come 'til Hightower/Jones hit year 3 or 4.

I would say "No" to all of those guys unless they are short, dicounted deals. I like Spikes the best but there's nothing wrong with making him show he can make mature decisions and stay on the field.

Chung and Vollmer have significant injury question marks.

I would say "No" to all of those guys unless they are short, dicounted deals. I like Spikes the best but there's nothing wrong with making him show he can make mature decisions and stay on the field.

Chung and Vollmer have significant injury question marks.

My points exactly.

By the way, kudos to Curran for making this point on Hernandez:

The te vs. Wr franchise tag debate now rendered moot.

This is great - five years of Hernandez/Gronk - the core is being established. Mayo is sign through 2016 as well. LLoyd, Mankins, Solder, Gostkowski, Wilfork, and Brady all through 2014 - real top-flight stability for the next few years.

I wonder if they got a look at some projected cap numbers for 2013 and beyond.

All the Welker talk is irrelevant. Welker passed on an offer and went the Franchise Tag route. That worked out great for him. He's the highest paid guy on the team this year. Welker signed his tender knowing that a deal would have to be done before training camp. It didn't happen. Over and out. It's all about performance now and what the market will bear when the season is over. Good luck to him.

:eek: Wow, Gronk and Hernandez both locked up long term. I didn't think it would happen in one offseason. Good move by the Pats IMO. :rocker:

This is great - five years of Hernandez/Gronk.
Actually, it's 7 years. Gronk is signed for 8 more (team option after 4), Hernandez' is a 5 year extension at the end of the current two that are left.

Barring something weird we have them both for 7 years. This might make Brady want to play until he's 42.

Awesome news!

tumblr_lrh1vrytWG1qbbz06o1_400.gif

Actually, it's 7 years. Gronk is signed for 8 more (team option after 4), Hernandez' is a 5 year extension at the end of the current two that are left.

Barring something weird we have them both for 7 years. This might make Brady want to play until he's 42.

Are you sure? The ESPN announcement said through 2016. In any event, a great development.

Have to wait and see the structure on Ahern's deal but Gronk's wasn't an impediment to signing a WR long term - it's always been about the cost uncertainty with those two, which is no more, coupled with the remaining value of Welker which is now the only issue. The two TE's likely aren't seeing big cap hits until 2015-16. By which time Welker is likely to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes