PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breakdown of Jimmy G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish we had a talented young QB like that on the roster, waiting in the wings to eventually succeed Brady ...

Wish we had a talented young QB like that on the roster, waiting in the wings to eventually succeed Brady.

Guys who are willing to sit on the bench for 7 years are kind of hard to come by. Unless you wanted to trade/cut Brady this offseason I guess.

Wish we had a talented young QB like that on the roster, waiting in the wings to eventually succeed Brady ...

We will find one next season, hope we get Baker Mayfield he'll probably get drafted high but hopefully we can find a QB in the first round so we can use the 5th year option if we have another JG situation 4-5yrs from now,

What is the record for wins at the beginning of a career, anyway? What did Ben Roethlisberger do? That was the last rookie QB I remember to be on a good team as soon as he started. Let's see... [checks profootballref]

OK. Ben lost the first game he played in, but was in relief during week 2 at which point he took the job over. He then won 14 regular season starts in a row then a playoff game before meeting a certain New England team in the AFCC. I wonder how that went?

So Jimmy doesn't not have that record.

As someone who had really hoped for some type of reasonable passing of the torch, I am with you in saying that it kind of sucks to see this kind of success so early in his career with limited knowledge of their system.

Had the timing lined up just a couple of years later, we may have had the kind of run that we’d never have imagined in our wildest dreams, post-Brady. I’m still holding out hope that they’ll draft another high round pick in April, especially in a good QB class with the extra pick.

As someone who had really hoped for some type of reasonable passing of the torch, I am with you in saying that it kind of sucks to see this kind of success so early in his career with limited knowledge of their system.

Had the timing lined up just a couple of years later, we may have had the kind of run that we’d never have imagined in our wildest dreams, post-Brady. I’m still holding out hope that they’ll draft another high round pick in April, especially in a good QB class with the extra pick.

Yes, it sucks. But who would have predicted, back in May 2014, that the 2014, 2015, and 2016 seasons would have turned out the way they did?

jimmy g is the next great qb

and we let him go

the one that got away

Garapolo vs Brisett upcoming....that should settle things once and for all.
Now there's a starting QB battle that wouldn't have been predicted at the start of the season.

We’ll see. He’s got a lot of ground to cover yet.
No matter how you look at it, he’s won all 4 games that he’s played in, and I’m pretty sure that he’s averaging over 300+ yards in each contest.

I completely understand the need to move on from JG, but I will always feel that SF fleeced us by only parting with a second round pick. I think Belichick could’ve held out for a little more, especially after hearing Lynch’s comments this week on how Garoppolo would’ve won 5 SBs in Tampa when Lynch was still playing. Considering the fact that Shanahan keeps harping on the fact that JG knows very little about their system yet, it’s starting to look like he’s going to be the real deal in terms of starting QBs.

It also doesn’t help that our “high” second round pick seems to be in jeopardy of falling much further than we expected. He’s also taken a 1 win team and made them a 3 win team, with 3 more games to play. The more I think about it, the more this second round compensation is pissing me off.

Grop has a long way to go - save the coronation.

and we let him go

the one that got away

What the hell are you talking about ? He had all the leverage and wanted to play. Brady is having another MVP season. They literally did all they could to postpone a decisions as long as possible without getting hosed on some ROI.

There was literally nothing you could have done without blowing up the entire salary cap structure of the team just to franchise him so he can be a backup for another year and live through the same situation in 2019 all over again.

Last edited:

and we let him go

the one that got away

I'd obviously prefer if Jimmy stayed, but I really can't figure out how we would have kept him short of trading Tom Brady.

What other choice did we have? It is what it is.

And there's no guarantee Jimmy becomes anything close to Brady. We have a chance to win a Super Bowl this year, maybe a few more chances before that window closes. Belichick has already said he won't coach into his 70s, so we have a maximum of 5 years, maybe less. We have to take advantage of this while we can.

There's also no guarantee Jimmy can perform in the playoffs. He's shown sparks of being a great regular season QB, but think about Rodgers and Manning struggling in their first few post-season games. There's no guarantee that Jimmy would go 9-0 to start his post-season career a la Brady.

We have a legitimate shot at several more Super Bowls over the next few years with Brady. Many QBs are lucky to win even one (Rodgers, Brees, Wilson), while many are still looking for their first (Stafford, Ryan, Rivers). There's no guarantee Jimmy wins another championship.

TLDR: Yeah, I wish we kept Jimmy. But not at the expense of Brady.

It also doesn’t help that our “high” second round pick seems to be in jeopardy of falling much further than we expected. He’s also taken a 1 win team and made them a 3 win team, with 3 more games to play. The more I think about it, the more this second round compensation is pissing me off.

The 2nd round comp is the only thing that bothers me about this trade as well.
We had no choice but to move on from Jimmy cause he would've been a FA. Even in the 1.25 games he played with the Pats, it was clear that Jimmy was starting caliber.
We could've made it more clear by giving him more 4th q snaps, but either way the trade seems like one in which we didn't go out there and look for bidders.
Cleveland's incompetent GM almost (if he wasn't a paperwork idiot) traded for a worse QB right after to save face. The Giants were willing to f'ck over Eli to let Geno Smith start. There had to have been a team out there willing to atleast give a 1st for a much better chance at a top 10 QB than you'd get via the draft.

What's impressed me about Jimmy G is he makes other players around him better. He succeeds with lower tier support. He didn't even need Gronk to win. Even Hollister and Bryan Tims looked half decent

I'd obviously prefer if Jimmy stayed, but I really can't figure out how we would have kept him short of trading Tom Brady.

What other choice did we have? It is what it is.

And there's no guarantee Jimmy becomes anything close to Brady. We have a chance to win a Super Bowl this year, maybe a few more chances before that window closes. Belichick has already said he won't coach into his 70s, so we have a maximum of 5 years, maybe less. We have to take advantage of this while we can.

There's also no guarantee Jimmy can perform in the playoffs. He's shown sparks of being a great regular season QB, but think about Rodgers and Manning struggling in their first few post-season games. There's no guarantee that Jimmy would go 9-0 to start his post-season career a la Brady.

We have a legitimate shot at several more Super Bowls over the next few years with Brady. Many QBs are lucky to win even one (Rodgers, Brees, Wilson), while many are still looking for their first (Stafford, Ryan, Rivers). There's no guarantee Jimmy wins another championship.

TLDR: Yeah, I wish we kept Jimmy. But not at the expense of Brady.

Yea look at Nick Foles in '13, never know, there's not much film on Jimmy so we'll see

No matter how you look at it, he’s won all 4 games that he’s played in, and I’m pretty sure that he’s averaging over 300+ yards in each contest.

I completely understand the need to move on from JG, but I will always feel that SF fleeced us by only parting with a second round pick. I think Belichick could’ve held out for a little more, especially after hearing Lynch’s comments this week on how Garoppolo would’ve won 5 SBs in Tampa when Lynch was still playing. Considering the fact that Shanahan keeps harping on the fact that JG knows very little about their system yet, it’s starting to look like he’s going to be the real deal in terms of starting QBs.

Agreed. With the caveat that teams don't issue press releases about what other teams are offering in trades, it's hard not to say the Pats botched the situation pretty badly.

We the hell are you talking about ? He had all the leverage and wanted to play. Brady is having another MVP season. They literally did all they could to postpone a decisions as long as possible without getting hosed on some ROI.

There was literally nothing you could have done without blowing up the entire salary cap structure of the team just to franchise him so he can be a backup for another year and live through the same situation in 2019 all over again.
This is just james87654 (who was banned for trolling) being a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes