PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all get frustrated by inconsistencies in these things. Gronk (or Gonk) getting flagged for his spike close to another player, while Marvin Harrison spiking a ball into Vrabel's face is ok.

Apparently, so is JJ Watt flat-out pointing and wagging his finger at a running back directly in front of a ref.

So, if he tossed it underhand and walked away with some imagined disdain, it'd be okay.

I look forward to the additional JUGS-toting ref that Goodell apparently needs to put on the field to measure velocity and determine if it's above the acceptable speed. They can work with the on-field body language expert to assess the player's unvoiced level of animosity toward the ref to determine the penalty. 15 yards for disdain, but only 10 for a general brush-off.

Say you're the ref ... you would've thrown the flag?

Med? lol. Don't mess with me I'm very sensitive. Bottom line, if I'm a coach. Unless you conducted sensitivity tests with all refs, don't be a ****, they're the ones who call penalties. and not just that one either.

You can argue til you're blue in the face, he could call that and he did.

Med? lol. Don't mess with me I'm very sensitive. Bottom line, if I'm a coach. Unless you conducted sensitivity tests with all refs, don't be a ****, they're the ones who call penalties. and not just that one either.

You can argue til you're blue in the face, he could call that and he did.

I still don't actually know if you would've thrown a flag or not.

But the argument that he has the right to call it, while accurate, sucks. He has the right to call a USC penalty on a player who doesn't hand him the ball and say, "Thank you, sir," if he wants to. Doesn't mean he should.

I still don't actually know if you would've thrown a flag or not.

But the argument that he has the right to call it, while accurate, sucks. He has the right to call a USC penalty on a player who doesn't hand him the ball and say, "Thank you, sir," if he wants to. Doesn't mean he should.

I would have, personally. It's easier to ease up than it is to try to regain control once players start to disrespect the authority. what if there are fights and controversial calls later?

Well, we definitely want to keep testing the line to see how much disrespect we can get away with, how far away we can flip the ball at the ref from etc. because that's good football.

Should he call it? What difference does that make? He did call it and even if refs would call that only one out of ten times (and I bet that's low) there's no reason for it and it could cost you a game.

I'm guessing BB thinks so and had a talk with him, think I'm wrong?

...as far as Watt wagging the finger, he wasn't doing it at a ref. A little back and forth doesn't disrupt the game IMO. The refs are the authority, they are not players. You can lose your authority in fact and that leads to debacles like we saw with replacements earlier.

I would have, personally. It's easier to ease up than it is to try to regain control once players start to disrespect the authority. what if there are fights and controversial calls later?

Well, we definitely want to keep testing the line to see how much disrespect we can get away with, how far away we can flip the ball at the ref from etc. because that's good football.

Should he call it? What difference does that make? He did call it and even if refs would call that only one out of ten times (and I bet that's low) there's no reason for it and it could cost you a game.

I'm guessing BB thinks so and had a talk with him, think I'm wrong?

...as far as Watt wagging the finger, he wasn't doing it at a ref. A little back and forth doesn't disrupt the game IMO. The refs are the authority, they are not players. You can lose your authority in fact and that leads to debacles like we saw with replacements earlier.

That Watt thing is the definition of taunting, and that's where refs lose control of games ... when they don't control the player interactions with other players.

Let me ask you this: When have you ever, EVER, seen a game get out of hand regarding treatment of the refs? When have you ever seen a player(s) deliberately escalate/push the boundaries with refs due to an uncalled USC penalty for flipping the ball?

I love this. You're saying that it's imperative that refs throw flags at the slightest (perceived) offense against them, otherwise the players will keep testing the boundaries, and potentially move up to assault, I guess. But when it comes to controlling the actual players who are clearly taunting other players, they should allow some latitude.

Lastly, the replacement refs lost control of games because they were overmatched regarding calls that affected gameplay, not because they failed to assert their ref dominance. Are you s******* me?

Anyway, I'm out. I hope you never ref a Pats game. :D

That penalty needs to be taken in the overall context of the officiating of the game. Lets face it the Pats got hosed throughout the game with every single close and not so close calls going against them. Hell, the USC call which would be a BS call in a propertly officiated game was one of the closer ones in this fiasco. It was like the league rehired the replacement REf's and gave them a directive to do their worst against the Pats.

That Watt thing is the definition of taunting, and that's where refs lose control of games ... when they don't control the player interactions with other players.

Let me ask you this: When have you ever, EVER, seen a game get out of hand regarding treatment of the refs? When have you ever seen a player(s) deliberately escalate/push the boundaries with refs due to an uncalled USC penalty for flipping the ball?

I love this. You're saying that it's imperative that refs throw flags at the slightest (perceived) offense against them, otherwise the players will keep testing the boundaries, and potentially move up to assault, I guess. But when it comes to controlling the actual players who are clearly taunting other players, they should allow some latitude.

Lastly, the replacement refs lost control of games because they were overmatched regarding calls that affected gameplay, not because they failed to assert their ref dominance. Are you s******* me?

I don't control what refs do, you're the one who decides what they should do, then gets bent out of shape by what they actually do.

For example, a lot of people here get bent out of shape when a defensive back gets called because he looks like he committed a penalty, but didn't.

I don't. I'd love to have cornerbacks that commit all sorts of penalties but don't get caught. We complain about other teams getting away with them, we should copy them.

Ellis Hobbs was a walking penalty IMO, whether he actually touched the player or not. I bet our current cornerbacks get away with twice as much contact as McCourty did. I don't care at all if they should get penalties.

You can write to the head of referees and tell them what they shouldn't have called, if you want. In fact, one did call USC because Lloyd couldn't be bothered to respectfully hand over the ball. Still 15 yards, still a stupid, "no reason for it", incident.

That penalty needs to be taken in the overall context of the officiating of the game. Lets face it the Pats got hosed throughout the game with every single close and not so close calls going against them. Hell, the USC call which would be a BS call in a propertly officiated game was one of the closer ones in this fiasco. It was like the league rehired the replacement REf's and gave them a directive to do their worst against the Pats.

The officiating was bad, especially that forward motion fumble. Nevertheless, taking a stupid penalty just because you felt a little miffed is inexcusable on this team. It's usually the type of stuff we take advantage of with less disciplined teams.

The officiating was bad, especially that forward motion fumble. Nevertheless, taking a stupid penalty just because you felt a little miffed is inexcusable on this team. It's usually the type of stuff we take advantage of with less disciplined teams.

Concurrence here.
When I saw how he threw the ball without care that the ball hit the official, I was so mad at Lylod. I am sure all the ref wanted to see was some acknowledgement of a mistake on Lylod's part, even if he did not mean it.
That also reminded me of a clip of BB talking about the attitude during playoffs where he stressed on one stupid act can kill a drive, can destroy the season for everyone. That was so foolish of Lylod. If I were that official, I will feel really disrespected as well. I hope BB addressed this. No more.

Last edited:
Concurrence here.
When I saw how he threw the ball without care that the ball hit the official. I am sure all the ref wanted to see was some acknowledgement of a mistake even if he did not mean it.
That also reminded of a clip of BB talking about the attitude during playoffs where he stressed on one stupid act can kill a drive, can destroy the season for everyone. That was so foolish of Lylod. If I were that official, I will feel really disrespected as well. I hope BB addressed this. No more.

We are in concurrence my man. If that ball slipped out, all he had to do was give a sorry gesture. You can't show up the guys in charge, that's childish.

They have the authority and they're human. if not that call, do you think it might affect a call later? Why in the world take that chance?

If the coach is going to flip out at the refs, that might have a purpose. He is in a different power relationship there.

Players play and play smart, at least on this team.

The call was the epitome of a ticky-tack call. Yes, there's some reason to justify the call but no, it never should have been called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes