PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that this was the last time this year we see a Patriot player give the ball to an official. Probably put it on the ground and make them go pick it up from here on out.

I remember this penalty specifically because it killed a drive that would have most likely resulted in a TD and put the game away earlier.

That flag from that ref was the equivalent of being arrested for contempt of cop.

It was dumb as hell.

Related or not, the hatred for the Pats is rampant. I'm getting used it tho. You cannot watch or read anything without cheating, overrated, worst defense..blah,blah. Unless you listen to Skip Brainless. But I really dont give hoot anymore. History will tell the correct tale in time.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened there? Was there a reason he "tossed" it at the official. Or just overblown BS? He always seems so mellow and a nice guy. Just wondering if there was an issue he had. I didnt see any. Brandon Lloyd Throws Ball to Official in Aggressive Manner, Earns Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty (Animation) | New England Patriots | NESN.com

The referee was Mark Sanchez, Sr. Like his doofus son, he wasn't ready for the ball, and since there wasn't a lineman's big ass nearby to ram his head into, he threw the flag.

Re: Did Lloyd get a fine for tossing the ball to the ref with butter-fingers?

Lloyd obviously was frustrated and threw it back to the ref harder than necessary. He deserved a penalty.

I agree with you on two points. Yes Lloyd was frustrated and yes it looked like he might have put a little more on the throw than necessary. But the way I saw it, I don't think it deserved a flag for two reasons.

First, Lloyd's frustration had nothing to do with the refs or because of a call that they made, so they can't say that he was retaliating against them. He was frustrated because he was open and, on what looked like an easy completion, Brady under threw him and the down was wasted. And before people start getting on my case, I'm not saying he was frustrated with Brady either but instead, the end result of the play in general.

Second, even though Lloyd looked like he threw the ball a little harder than he should have, I didn't see him say anything to the ref to make the ref feel threatened or that Lloyd was trying to hit him hard on purpose. This is the playoffs and emotions will run high. If Lloyd did throw the ball a little hard, I think the officials need to take the previous two points into consideration before deciding to throw the flag. Plus, I think the whole thing looked worse than it actually was because the ref wasn't looking and the ball bounced off his chest.

Just a quick final thought on my previous post.... How is it that what Lloyd did is worse than when players chuck the ball at the feet of the officials after a play??... I see this happen a lot too... The official is literally standing right next to the player after the play, and instead of the player handing him the ball, he'll just chuck the ball at his feet or down the field and make the official chase after it. Besides the obvious contact with the official part of it, how is this Not worse?... Although I must admit I find it kind of funny when I see it. Especially when the ball takes a funny bounce and the refs look like they're out there trying to catch a chicken. :D

That flag was pathetic. Just leave the ball on the ground and let the ref pick the thing up.

The ref threw the flag to make himself look less dumb and that's why I hate this terrible call. He wasn't looking, wasn't ready and he missed the catch, made him look bad, so he threw the flag to cover it up.

I can't stand how some of these refs make themselves part of the game. Like Brandon tried to embarrass him. I was at the game and we had no idea what the unsportsmanlike like conduct was for.

No fine for Lloyd

Been wondering if this year the refs are in general irritated with the Pats offense because it is making them work a lot harder than they are accustomed to.

It was my impression watching the game that the ball was thrown a little hard... but after watching how this ref (in the link previously provided) cheap-shotted the Rams runningback I've got to say, this guy has some macho-insecurity issues.

And for what its worth, you could make a case that Lloyd had to put some zip on the ball because Barwin is about to walk between Lloyd and the ref. Anything thrown less forcibly might have bounced off Barwin.

That flag from that ref was the equivalent of being arrested for contempt of cop.

It was dumb as hell.

BINGO. If a slower offense had a player do that, it wouldn't matter. National stage, the Pats and all of the issues they bring to the table, it happens. Refs are human and have personalities, too. If a Browns' WR did this in a Sunday afternoon game, does he get a penalty?

BS call

I looked at it a few times since.

Didn't look like he flipped it that hard to me.

If I'm the player, I just drop it on the ground from there on out and let the ref walk and bend his fat @ss over everytime to pick it up.

can't fine him since it's easy for him to win an appeal

Lloyd threw the ball too hard given the situation . . . anyone that does not see that, well just doesn't get it . . . coupled with the fact that he looked at the official and then just shuffle away without even an apology got the ire of the ref . . . perhaps the ref could of went up to him and gave him a warning given the place on the field and the importance of the game . . .

but, out of respect and shall i say sportmanship, you lightly toss the ball to the ref, you guys have seen it a 1000 times the balls has some kind of loft to it, or you throw it underhand so it has a loft too, whatever . .. but there never a line drive, at least that close to the ref, you seen line drives maybe when there are like 10 yards apart, but not that close . . or if they have already made eye contact . . . .

also too the ref was not ready for that kind of throw and had to track down the ball . . . a simple little i am sorry would of solved the problem . . .

Do i think the ref should of thrown the flag, probably not as i can't really recall a penatly in that situation, but then again the never seen a guy line drive a ball to a ref 8 feet away who was not really ready for it, can't handle it and the player walks away like nothing happened . . . outof respect you hold teh ball look for an official, make eye contact and then lightly toss it to him . . . you don't zing the ball without eyecontact then walk away like you are the bees knees . . .

EDIT: i think Troy Brown got a similar penalty, and interestingly got it went he broke the record for most receptions as a Pats, and it was less harmless and really a mistake, if i remember right he looked at the ref as he was walking in from the side lines then look back and walked to the huddle and toss the ball to the ref and either hit him on the head or it went over his head or something and it drew a flag . . .

Last edited:
Apparently this is the ref who threw the flag at BL. Can anyone put this pic in context?

x2_107dec42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back