PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch fines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEPatriot

Banned
Reaction score
Any thoughts as to whether or not he'll actually have to pay the fines?

As sure as 1+1=2, he'll have to pay the fines.

BelichickFan said:

I initially thought that, but he is now on the Seattle Payroll and the Pats have no financial obligation for any of his salary... the question is Seattle going to pay him for the full year or 15/16's of his salary this year??

I wouldn't let him off the hook, that was a price he was willing to pay for the new contract, let him get his wish.

They should play it the same way the Broncos did for Lelie. He got his wish and was traded but now he's playing in Atlanta for free this season.

BelichickFan said:

No way. The ill will that will generate in the locker room would be detrimental to say the least. They won't enforce the fines.

GJAJ15 said:
I initially thought that, but he is now on the Seattle Payroll and the Pats have no financial obligation for any of his salary... the question is Seattle going to pay him for the full year or 15/16's of his salary this year??

Im sorry but that is not entirelly true. When the Broncos traded Lelie to the falcons I heard the agent of Lelie on an interview with Sirius NFL Radio when asked about the fines and he didnt wanted to comment on those because of legal issues... So my educated guess is that the Pats do have the right to those fines and may go after that money.

mdhprime said:
No way. The ill will that will generate in the locker room would be detrimental to say the least. They won't enforce the fines.

Why would it generate "ill will"? He is no longer part of the organization. Even worse, he threw the team under the bus for MONEY... Also, it will show the players to think twice before trying to pull a "Branch" on them.

I say go for every single penny...

mdhprime said:

What good are fines if you don't collect them? I can see if he came back to play for us they might waive the fines. But going to another team, they should be collected, otherwise you may as well never fine a player.

maxhagen said:
Why would it generate "ill will"? He is no longer part of the organization. Even worse, he threw the team under the bus for MONEY... Also, it will show the players to think twice before trying to pull a "Branch" on them.

I say go for every single penny...

First off, the hold out and the actions on both sides were within established parameters (CBA.) You can't blame Branch for his position or the Patriots for theirs as each was acting in their own best interests and within their rights. Nobody got "thrown under the bus". However many of the players would look at enforcing the fines as a spiteful act and as an indication of how they might be treated in the future if they were to follow a similar path as Branch did. The Patriots got quite a bit out of the deal and will probably be happy with that in my opinion. I could be wrong, but that is just how I see it.

PatsChick87 said:
What good are fines if you don't collect them? I can see if he came back to play for us they might waive the fines. But going to another team, they should be collected, otherwise you may as well never fine a player.

If he held out until week 10 and as a result denied that Patriots any value at all then I could see fining him. Since the matter has been resolved and there has been rather equitable compensation, I just don't see the point in enforcing the fines.

mdhprime said:
However many of the players would look at enforcing the fines as a spiteful act and as an indication of how they might be treated in the future if they were to follow a similar path as Branch did.
Just take out the word "spiteful" and you've got the idea!
It's like fining someone for being late for team meetings etc, if you establish rules, fines etc, you have to enforce them or they become meaningless. I don't suppose you have any kids?;)

PatsChick87 said:
mdhprime said:
However many of the players would look at enforcing the fines as a spiteful act and as an indication of how they might be treated in the future if they were to follow a similar path as Branch did.
Just take out the word "spiteful" and you've got the idea!
It's like fining someone for being late for team meetings etc, if you establish rules, fines etc, you have to enforce them or they become meaningless. I don't suppose you have any kids?;)

I hear what you are saying and I think that there are some senarios where the fines should have been enforced. I am just saying that since both sides acted within the rules and it came to a good conclusion for both, I think it would be a meaningless to enforce the fines. Just my take.

mdhprime said:
First off, the hold out and the actions on both sides were within established parameters (CBA.) You can't blame Branch for his position or the Patriots for theirs as each was acting in their own best interests and within their rights. Nobody got "thrown under the bus". However many of the players would look at enforcing the fines as a spiteful act and as an indication of how they might be treated in the future if they were to follow a similar path as Branch did. The Patriots got quite a bit out of the deal and will probably be happy with that in my opinion. I could be wrong, but that is just how I see it.

All fines and recovery of pro-rated bonuses are well within the scope of the CBA, if you will. Recovery, then would merely be exercising an aspect of the Union/management contract that all parties in question agree to.

Why would there be "ill-will" about this? The players know these things can happen - he11, they negotiated it! They know this is part of the collective bargaining process. I mean, if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen!

I believe that the fines are part of the CBA. If this is indeed the case, they must be collected. The players insist that the teams abide by the CBA, and this is all that the Patriots would be doing.

taltos said:
I believe that the fines are part of the CBA. If this is indeed the case, they must be collected. The players insist that the teams abide by the CBA, and this is all that the Patriots would be doing.

The fines are an option for the team, not a requirement.

Look at it another way - what message would the Patriots be sending if they didn't levy the fines. It would be saying to other players that there is no penalty for holding out. That's a BAD BAD BAD message.

And what is your impression about the Patriots organization as a business ? Do you think they will pass on something approaching half a million dollars just to be 'nice'. Hmmmmm.

I'd also be curious about whether there is any portion of the original signing bonus that they can recover. I guess I doubt it, since they agreed to a trade. But they might have a case for one-sixteenth of one-fifth. Might not be worth the hassle on that one.

mdhprime said:

You are right... Holding out is within the established parameters in the CBA as the fines are.

You have the right to think that players would believe that, as much as I have the right to believe that he did threw the team under the bus with this holdout and that the team has the right to enforce the fines whether people believe is in spite or not. He held out on the team... the team enforce the fines... this is business... period.

I say forget the fines. He is gone. Worth every penny.

maxhagen said:
Im sorry but that is not entirelly true. When the Broncos traded Lelie to the falcons I heard the agent of Lelie on an interview with Sirius NFL Radio when asked about the fines and he didnt wanted to comment on those because of legal issues... So my educated guess is that the Pats do have the right to those fines and may go after that money.

Not only does Lelie have to pay the fines, the Broncos are going after a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus, since he reneged on his contract. I would love to see the Patriots do the same. My guess is they will enforce the fines, but allow him to keep the last year on his SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back