PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: We are all playing Thursday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing in the 4th game will most likely depend upon what BB was fuming about.

Convention says the 3rd game is the "dress rehearsal". However, with the joint practices for games 1/2, it seemed they were "dress rehearsals". Maybe, I missed it, but I didn't see any Ram prep articles. I didn't pay attention because it seemed like the heavy work was done.

With young guys, it's easy to lose mental focus and play poorly. My best guess is that's what BB is fuming about.

With young guys, it's easy to lose mental focus and play poorly. My best guess is that's what BB is fuming about.

I'd like to think that is the #1 reason. Rookies and young players have several challenges.

-They kinda-sorta know their position
-They kinda-sorta know their system (or not at all)
-Playing with uneven or complete lack of confidence
-Playing with uneven or lack of required intensity
-Inconsisitent playing time.
-Reacting 1/2 a second slower than a vet

We'll see how they do when the bullets start to fly.

If we're going to get into technicalities, then all preseason games are useless. However, the fourth is commonly known as the most useless. The first three games are important for, as I said, installing new game plans, formations, and getting used to new faces. By the time the fourth one rolls around, coaches typically hold out their starters because they've been acclimated to these things already and would much rather give the youngsters and the fringe guys the time to show what they can in order to make the team.

Right but it's not black and white. That is simply a generalization of how coaches use the 4 preseason games in today's NFL. For example in your explanation of what the preseason is for, there may be times when 3 games wasn't enough for the new game plans, formations, and new faces. I'm not saying this is the case for the Patriots, but there isn't a universal correct way to handle every single preseason.

But we do agree on getting other guys playing time. Personally, I don't think that getting work in for Brady, Welker, and Moss to avoid a little rust is worth the risk of season ending injury to any one of the three in what will be the most meaningless game of the entire season.

I agree, I just am not as concerned about that "season ending injury" risk which is way overblown IMO. I just want the season to start already!

Last edited:
Right but it's not black and white. That is simply a generalization of how coaches use the 4 preseason games in today's NFL. For example in your explanation of what the preseason is for, there may be times when 3 games wasn't enough for the new game plans, formations, and new faces. I'm not saying this is the case for the Patriots, but there isn't a universal correct way to handle every single preseason.

The thing is you're trying to make an argument against things being black and white when your original response to me was as black and white as it gets...

It's not black and white like that. The 4th preseason game is equally as meaningless as games 1, 2 and 3.

As for generalizations, the VAST majority (if not all) of the NFL holds their franchise level starters out of the fourth preseason games. If you can name me three teams that played their franchise starters in the fourth preseason game last season, then I'll be impressed. It's a fact that the fourth preseason game is considered meaningless and teams use it as a bye week before the season.

As for the rest of your post, it's football. You spent a lot of time telling people that earlier in the thread to try to make the point about how injuries can occur at any time. Surely, if you truly believe that, you have to realize that this applies to meaningless preseason games.

The thing is you're trying to make an argument against things being black and white when your original response to me was as black and white as it gets...

It's not black and white like that. The 4th preseason game is equally as meaningless as games 1, 2 and 3.

Let me clarify. The value of preseason games is not black and white with respect to how they should be used and when each player should play, including the most valuable players to the team. I use the term "meaningless" with respect to all preseason game results having no direct effect on regular season record. Most people/fans will consider preseason games "meaningless" because they do not count in the standings. As such, games 1-4 hold equal value to the standings and thus are equally as "meaningless". However, there are finer points on the value of preseason games and these finer points are not black and white. Thus it is incorrect to believe that universally you should never play your starters or best players in game 4.

As for generalizations, the VAST majority (if not all) of the NFL holds their franchise level starters out of the fourth preseason games. If you can name me three teams that played their franchise starters in the fourth preseason game last season, then I'll be impressed. It's a fact that the fourth preseason game is considered meaningless and teams use it as a bye week before the season.

I've covered this already. Yes generally that is how teams do it, but no it is not a universal truth that is how it should be handled for every team every preseason.

As for the rest of your post, it's football. You spent a lot of time telling people that earlier in the thread to try to make the point about how injuries can occur at any time. Surely, if you truly believe that, you have to realize that this applies to meaningless preseason games.

I've always realized that. Injuries also apply to practices, as well as walking down the street. Being paranoid about injuries has never prevented them from occurring nor has it ever won anyone anything. Unless there is hard data that suggests the injury risk on a series in the NFL exhibition season is exorbitantly high then I simply do not accept that as a universal proof of never playing a valuable player in the preseason. It's of course a risk v. reward thing, but fans tend to greatly exaggerate the risk especially after a Welker-like situation last year.

I would hardly play the offense considering they are not the problem but BB's defense should be forced to sweat out another game.

No offense, emoney, but it sounds to me like you're arguing just to argue.

Let me clarify. The value of preseason games is not black and white with respect to how they should be used and when each player should play, including the most valuable players to the team. I use the term "meaningless" with respect to all preseason game results having no direct effect on regular season record. Most people/fans will consider preseason games "meaningless" because they do not count in the standings. As such, games 1-4 hold equal value to the standings and thus are equally as "meaningless". However, there are finer points on the value of preseason games and these finer points are not black and white. Thus it is incorrect to believe that universally you should never play your starters or best players in game 4.

I never said it's universal. But it is, BY FAR, the rule, and not the exception. With as many fringe players as each team has, the vast majority of teams elect to play those fringe players for most, if not all, of the last preseason game to see who would be the best addition to the squad for depth purposes. In this case, though, even though I'm using other teams as examples, I'm not generally worried about what they're doing. It's what we do that worries me. With how Brady, Moss, and Welker have looked, I absolutely do NOT want to see them in there. To put them in for any extended period of time and subject them to possible season ending injuries in the most worthless game of the season doesn't make sense to me. If anybody needs to be in for a quarter or more, it would be a few starters on the defensive side of the ball.

I've always realized that. Injuries also apply to practices, as well as walking down the street. Being paranoid about injuries has never prevented them from occurring nor has it ever won anyone anything. Unless there is hard data that suggests the injury risk on a series in the NFL exhibition season is exorbitantly high then I simply do not accept that as a universal proof of never playing a valuable player in the preseason. It's of course a risk v. reward thing, but fans tend to greatly exaggerate the risk especially after a Welker-like situation last year.

It's not an over exaggeration. Injuries are more likely to occur in game conditions going against opponents which you are, for the most part, unfamiliar with than they would in practice when you are going against your teammates who are not going to hit you as hard as your opponents are. If you aren't hitting in practice, the chance for season-ending injury decreases even more as you're in shells and shorts.

Ultimately, that isn't what this is all about, though. It's about needlessly taking a risk that could do fatal harm to our regular season when we don't have to. After all, when is the last time Brady, Moss, or Welker suffered a season-ending injury in practice?

Last edited:
No offense, emoney, but it sounds to me like you're arguing just to argue.

Well I only originally made a simple point. I'm not really trying to argue just using a ton of words to say whether to play them or not is completely specific to the team any given year. There ARE valid reasons to play them, just not often do these reasons show up. I don't think they will play but I'm not a coach, I'm not in the practices, I don't know what they are trying to see and what needs more work so I can't really say there is NO WAY they should play.

It's not an over exaggeration.

What are the odds that a player gets injured in any single series in the NFL? What is the change in probability of injury over the ENTIRE course of the season through the playoffs and superbowl when a player plays a part of game 4 in the preseason? (Put another way the change in probability adding 1-2 series over the course of an NFL season. That would be a more correct way of analyzing your risk for this current season alone.

Ultimately, that isn't what this is all about, though. It's about needlessly taking a risk that could do fatal harm to our regular season when we don't have to. After all, when is the last time Brady, Moss, or Welker suffered a season-ending injury in practice?

It's not just about needlessly taking a risk, it's about needlessly taking a risk that you feel is too high. There's a risk of season ending injury when you get in a car, but none of us would argue that risk is high enough to stop a player from driving. There's a high risk in dirt biking without a helmet and none of us would suggest a player ever do that.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident that the risk of season ending injury in 1 or 2 series is sufficiently low enough that if BB feels there is something to gain I won't be upset about seeing them play.

Brady threw 3,653 passes before his season ending injury. Players all over the NFL play tons of downs without season ending injuries. Sure it hits closer to home because of the high profile injuries in back to back years (Brady, Welker) but I still don't think they should be paranoid about playing guys.

Wouldn't totally surprise me if most of the 1st team offence gets a series or two to get use to the new stadium they will be playing in a fortnight later. The defence is another matter; could see a lot of the first team rookies/sophomores playing a half to get them more game practice. Either way looking forward to seeing how Hoyer plays

If Brady, Moss, Welker or Wilfork start out on the field, someone needs to tranq-dart BB immediately so that O'Brien can get them out of there before it's too late.

I could not agree more. I hope Bill has learned his lesson from the last reg. season game he coached.

Light, Koppen, Neal & Vollmer shouldn't play either.

I would hardly play the offense considering they are not the problem but BB's defense should be forced to sweat out another game.

Since when is four straight "three and outs" not a problem?

It appears some are falling back into the misdiagnosis mindset.

Tom Terrific has said they are all playing Thursday night.

Bill must have steam coming out of his ears still after the Rams game.

I think he said that BB told them all to be "ready" to play.

[edit: i see others have picked you up on that. didn't mean to pile on.]

Last edited:
Well now, this ought to be fun. If Coach is that steamed about last Thursday (and he should be), then maybe Eli ought to consider having and extra set of stitches put in his head as insurance..... :D

i dunno. i don't like a Week Four Preseason game that's about anything more than getting through it without injuries. I think he might put the first teams in their for a possession or so as a "reward" for game three, but I really don't want to see them going all out...

Last edited:
I could not agree more. I hope Bill has learned his lesson from the last reg. season game he coached.

Light, Koppen, Neal & Vollmer shouldn't play either.

If you're going to pull them out, you might as well pull Connelly out too. O-Lines are as much about chemistry between all five guys as they are individual talent. Connelly isn't going to improve THAT much by playing with all the backups while his peers rest.

Well I only originally made a simple point. I'm not really trying to argue just using a ton of words to say whether to play them or not is completely specific to the team any given year. There ARE valid reasons to play them, just not often do these reasons show up. I don't think they will play but I'm not a coach, I'm not in the practices, I don't know what they are trying to see and what needs more work so I can't really say there is NO WAY they should play.

Pretty simple question, then. What do YOU think are valid reasons to play Brady, Moss, and Welker in the fourth preseason game?

What are the odds that a player gets injured in any single series in the NFL? What is the change in probability of injury over the ENTIRE course of the season through the playoffs and superbowl when a player plays a part of game 4 in the preseason? (Put another way the change in probability adding 1-2 series over the course of an NFL season. That would be a more correct way of analyzing your risk for this current season alone.

It's not just about needlessly taking a risk, it's about needlessly taking a risk that you feel is too high. There's a risk of season ending injury when you get in a car, but none of us would argue that risk is high enough to stop a player from driving. There's a high risk in dirt biking without a helmet and none of us would suggest a player ever do that.

Do you think there's a higher probability of getting injured when Brady, Moss, Welker, or anyone else gets in the car and drives or steps on the field once a week to play a football game? If so, when is the last time one of our guys was injured in a car accident and when was the last time one of our guys was injured in a game situation? Fact is that these guys have to drive in a car to get where they are going. These aren't Biblical days where everybody walks to get where they're going. They have to drive. What they DON'T have to do is play in a meaningless preseason game when they are already fine tuned and would be going up against overzealous second and third stringers looking to make a name for themselves.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident that the risk of season ending injury in 1 or 2 series is sufficiently low enough that if BB feels there is something to gain I won't be upset about seeing them play.

I really can't think of one thing that we can gain on offense by going up against the Giants' second stringers that they couldn't gain in practice and in Week 1 against what looks to be a poor Bengals pass defense.

Brady threw 3,653 passes before his season ending injury. Players all over the NFL play tons of downs without season ending injuries. Sure it hits closer to home because of the high profile injuries in back to back years (Brady, Welker) but I still don't think they should be paranoid about playing guys.

And if it occurs in a game where there is actually meaning (like Weeks 1-17), then I have no problem with it. If the game is meaningless and is one where we stand to gain absolutely nothing from it, then I have a problem with it. Bill decided to pull the trigger last year in what a lot of people agreed was a meaningless regular season game for us, one in which we didn't gain anything when it was all said and done, and all that happened was that the team lost the best slot receiver in the NFL to a torn ACL. Thankfully, that same guy looks to be in midseason form already, as does his counterpart at WR, and the franchise quarterback that throws passes to him. Why Bill would want to play them would be beyond me. As I said before, if he wants to play anybody, it should be a few people on the defensive side of the ball (sans Wilfork, Brace, Mayo, and Meriweather).

If you're going to pull them out, you might as well pull Connelly out too. O-Lines are as much about chemistry between all five guys as they are individual talent. Connelly isn't going to improve THAT much by playing with all the backups while his peers rest.

Yep. Considering the depth of our O-Line right now, I can honestly say that I don't want to see ANYBODY on the offensive side of the ball playing. The defense is another story.

Yep. Considering the depth of our O-Line right now, I can honestly say that I don't want to see ANYBODY on the offensive side of the ball playing. The defense is another story.

10 char

:agree:

Pretty simple question, then. What do YOU think are valid reasons to play Brady, Moss, and Welker in the fourth preseason game?

In general or this year? This year I don't see any but I'm not privy to all the details. In general, if they needed to work more on anything in game be it timing, integrating new guys, or just plain cohesion as a unit in game situation. I'm not worried about the offense though, especially not those 3 guys.

Do you think there's a higher probability of getting injured when Brady, Moss, Welker, or anyone else gets in the car and drives or steps on the field once a week to play a football game? If so, when is the last time one of our guys was injured in a car accident and when was the last time one of our guys was injured in a game situation? Fact is that these guys have to drive in a car to get where they are going. These aren't Biblical days where everybody walks to get where they're going. They have to drive. What they DON'T have to do is play in a meaningless preseason game when they are already fine tuned and would be going up against overzealous second and third stringers looking to make a name for themselves.

The car thing was not meant to be taking literally. The point is "risk of injury" needs to be quantified to be meaningful. And my argument is that fans exaggerate the probability of injury on any given series or more importantly the change in probability of injury given an extra 1-2 series.

And thanks for answering my questions with questions.

I really can't think of one thing that we can gain on offense by going up against the Giants' second stringers that they couldn't gain in practice and in Week 1 against what looks to be a poor Bengals pass defense.

Neither can I.

And if it occurs in a game where there is actually meaning (like Weeks 1-17), then I have no problem with it.

So your subjective opinion on meaning to a game is the only relevant opinion? If "meaning" was only in respect to the standings/seedings, then practice is meaningless.

If the game is meaningless and is one where we stand to gain absolutely nothing from it, then I have a problem with it. Bill decided to pull the trigger last year in what a lot of people agreed was a meaningless regular season game for us, one in which we didn't gain anything when it was all said and done, and all that happened was that the team lost the best slot receiver in the NFL to a torn ACL.

I fell down the stairs once, that means no one should ever walk down stairs.

For all we know, Welker's ACL was ready to go whether in that game or the playoffs. What happened to Welker was a "freak" accident and an accident that was just as likely to occur in practice. You feel there was "absolutely nothing" to gain. I, along with the patriots coaches, feel you are wrong.

I have 0 problems with them playing Welker last year.

You know, for someone who admits that this game is meaningless and that you can't see a benefit to playing starters in it, you sure are trying to make a case otherwise...

In general or this year? This year I don't see any but I'm not privy to all the details. In general, if they needed to work more on anything in game be it timing, integrating new guys, or just plain cohesion as a unit in game situation. I'm not worried about the offense though, especially not those 3 guys.

Good. Then we can move on.

The car thing was not meant to be taking literally. The point is "risk of injury" needs to be quantified to be meaningful. And my argument is that fans exaggerate the probability of injury on any given series or more importantly the change in probability of injury given an extra 1-2 series.

And thanks for answering my questions with questions.

How didn't I answer your questions? Let's take a look...

What are the odds that a player gets injured in any single series in the NFL? What is the change in probability of injury over the ENTIRE course of the season through the playoffs and superbowl when a player plays a part of game 4 in the preseason?

Well, needless to say, this is a loaded question. There isn't data to examine the probability that a player gets injured in a single series in the NFL. If you can find it, let me know. All you can go on with this is the eye test. Have you ever watched a game where a player doesn't get injured? If so, let me know. The best I could have done to answer that loaded question in response to something else you said in the thread, which is the probability of injury while driving. What's greater? When was the last time a major player of our's was injured while driving a car as compared to playing during a game?

Also, if you're going to complain about not answering questions, you should probably look in the mirror. I asked you to provide a number of teams that played their franchise starters in the last preseason game from last year. I also said I'd settle for just one. You conveniently ignored that. At least I made an attempt to answer an absolutely loaded question without any raw data to go on.

So your subjective opinion on meaning to a game is the only relevant opinion? If "meaning" was only in respect to the standings/seedings, then practice is meaningless.

How else would you define "meaning" in a football game? The standings, especially in the NFL, are the epitome of meaning. Every game is pretty important. As for practice, you're more than welcome to make a case that the hitting and intensity in a practice is just as intense as a game against an opponent. As it stands, practice is needed to implement game plans because, if you haven't noticed, opponents and their offenses and defenses change week to week. So one can reasonably make a point that practice for a regular season opponent is more important than playing your starters against hungry back-ups looking to make a name for themselves in a meaningless preseason game.

You're also welcome to make a case that the fourth preseason game, one which you admitted yourself was meaningless, is just as meaningful as a regular season game.

I fell down the stairs once, that means no one should ever walk down stairs.

Terrible and irrelevant point to the argument at hand. I really shouldn't even do it the courtesy of responding to it, but I will. With a flight of stairs, you have no choice but to walk down them. You're certainly not going to risk breaking your ankle by just jumping from one floor to another. It's absolutely necessary to use them. It's not necessary to subject your star players to possible injury just to work on timing during a meaningless game that has no effect on your spot in the standings.

For all we know, Welker's ACL was ready to go whether in that game or the playoffs. What happened to Welker was a "freak" accident and an accident that was just as likely to occur in practice. You feel there was "absolutely nothing" to gain. I, along with the patriots coaches, feel you are wrong.

I have 0 problems with them playing Welker last year.

But it didn't occur in practice. It occurred in the game which he shouldn't have been playing. We've been over this many times before. To say that it was a "freak injury" doesn't excuse the fact that the starters shouldn't have even been in there from jump street. On top of this, what do you possibly believe we could have gained from that game? Our position in the standings wasn't going to change. It was pretty apparent that the Jets were going to go all out and play their starters while the Bengals were going to rest at that point. But we played them anyway. And what did we gain? Nothing. What did we lose? A lot. Electing to play the starters in that game was just one of quite a few brain farts from the coaching staff last year.

You know, for someone who admits that this game is meaningless and that you can't see a benefit to playing starters in it, you sure are trying to make a case otherwise...

No I'm not, you are trying to make it seem that way though. I have 2 very simple points. First is that fans get their panties in a bunch in what they consider meaningless games over an improbable event occurring because it is "possible". Second is just because game 4 is used a certain way in the vast majority of cases does not mean that there is never a reason to use it in another way.

How didn't I answer your questions? Let's take a look...

What are the odds that a player gets injured in any single series in the NFL? What is the change in probability of injury over the ENTIRE course of the season through the playoffs and superbowl when a player plays a part of game 4 in the preseason?

Well, needless to say, this is a loaded question. There isn't data to examine the probability that a player gets injured in a single series in the NFL. If you can find it, let me know. All you can go on with this is the eye test. Have you ever watched a game where a player doesn't get injured? If so, let me know.

You didn't even attempt to address is or understand the point of me even asking it, instead you took an example of quantifying injury risk (the car) literally.

The best I could have done to answer that loaded question in response to something else you said in the thread, which is the probability of injury while driving. What's greater? When was the last time a major player of our's was injured while driving a car as compared to playing during a game?

Again, it has NOTHING to do with the car or driving. It was used as an example that "injury risk" needs to be quantified. There IS risk in driving, just so small that no one will argue it shouldn't be done. This is all on the basis that I believe the injury risk in any 1 series is small enough not to be paranoid about playing football players.

Also, if you're going to complain about not answering questions, you should probably look in the mirror. I asked you to provide a number of teams that played their franchise starters in the last preseason game from last year. I also said I'd settle for just one. You conveniently ignored that. At least I made an attempt to answer an absolutely loaded question without any raw data to go on.

And I will not go back through every team's preseason game 4 because it is meaningless to this debate. I never argued that teams DO play their franchise starters, nor do I care. I have acknowledged how MOST coaches in TODAY's NFL use the 4th preseason game. Once again, that does NOT mean that is the only way to use it forever. There exist unique circumstances for each team, each year. Rarely do these circumstances exist in such a way that playing your franchise starters in game 4 of the preseason is the better idea. But to pass it off as "no one should ever play their starters in game 4" is simply wrong. Honestly, Kontra you don't really seem to have much issues with what I am actually saying. I think the issue is I am either stating things wrong or you are reading them wrong, but my point was a very simple general point, not meant to stir off this much debate. (I suppose you weren't lying in your post in the jmt thread :p)

How else would you define "meaning" in a football game? The standings, especially in the NFL, are the epitome of meaning. Every game is pretty important.

Is this serious? Practice is meaningless to the standings yet you wouldn't argue to stop practicing.

As for practice, you're more than welcome to make a case that the hitting and intensity in a practice is just as intense as a game against an opponent. As it stands, practice is needed to implement game plans because, if you haven't noticed, opponents and their offenses and defenses change week to week. So one can reasonably make a point that practice for a regular season opponent is more important than playing your starters against hungry back-ups looking to make a name for themselves in a meaningless preseason game.

Practice leading up to a meaningless game is then meaningless, so they should all just get a vacation and not have to work. Technically, since the practice leading up to the game and the game don't effect the standings then by your strict definitions, they are needlessly risking injury.

You're also welcome to make a case that the fourth preseason game, one which you admitted yourself was meaningless, is just as meaningful as a regular season game.

Why would I do that when it is not?

Terrible and irrelevant point to the argument at hand. I really shouldn't even do it the courtesy of responding to it, but I will. With a flight of stairs, you have no choice but to walk down them. You're certainly not going to risk breaking your ankle by just jumping from one floor to another. It's absolutely necessary to use them. It's not necessary to subject your star players to possible injury just to work on timing during a meaningless game that has no effect on your spot in the standings.

There's usually an elevator nearby.

But it didn't occur in practice. It occurred in the game which he shouldn't have been playing. We've been over this many times before. To say that it was a "freak injury" doesn't excuse the fact that the starters shouldn't have even been in there from jump street.

I disagree 100%, and I am glad that BB is not paranoid like Dungy and the fans.

On top of this, what do you possibly believe we could have gained from that game? Our position in the standings wasn't going to change. It was pretty apparent that the Jets were going to go all out and play their starters while the Bengals were going to rest at that point. But we played them anyway. And what did we gain? Nothing. What did we lose? A lot.

So what have the Colts ever gained from resting players in 'meaningless' games? Seriously, the goal is to win the superbowl. You want to be playing your best going into the playoffs, not needlessly resting and getting rusty.

Electing to play the starters in that game was just one of quite a few brain farts from the coaching staff last year.

It wasn't a brain fart, it's just that they know wtf they are doing. They aren't paranoid fans who use their emotions to decide that it's just obviously stupid to play football players in a game at the end of the season.

And why is it that you often take very simple points that I make and explode it into some hugely unnecessary debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes