PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: We are all playing Thursday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to pull them out, you might as well pull Connelly out too. O-Lines are as much about chemistry between all five guys as they are individual talent. Connelly isn't going to improve THAT much by playing with all the backups while his peers rest.

Fair enough; that should still leave 8 OLmen avail. for Thursday.

As usual, a collection of logical fallacies and a ton of hypotheticals...

No I'm not, you are trying to make it seem that way though. I have 2 very simple points. First is that fans get their panties in a bunch in what they consider meaningless games over an improbable event occurring because it is "possible". Second is just because game 4 is used a certain way in the vast majority of cases does not mean that there is never a reason to use it in another way.

Once again, considering the possibility of injuries in a football game, fans worried over the possibility aren't getting their panties in a bunch. Especially Pats fans who have seen their quarterback and their top slot receiver suffer bad knee injuries in the past couple of years. Whether you want to admit it or not, this is a huge factor in coaches withholding their top tier players in the final preseason game and using it as a bye week. Again, you're more than welcome to point out any teams that generally play their starters in the final preseason game.

You didn't even attempt to address is or understand the point of me even askingit,

A loaded question is a logical fallacy. You asked me a loaded question which had no raw data to back it up. Since you're having trouble understanding that, let me show you...

Google

Now you're more than welcome to find raw data backing up your loaded question. Until you do, I'm under no obligation to answer it because there isn't any information for me to access in order to do so. On the other hand, since you're claiming (with conviction, I might add) that teams using preseason Week 4 as a bye week is not a universal thing, you're more than welcome to back that up. Fire off some names of NFL teams that play their starters in the last preseason game.

instead you took an example of quantifying injury risk (the car) literally.

You used that to back up a point you were making. How else was I supposed to take it? Don't be angry at me for shutting down your point. After all, you were the one that used it.

Again, it has NOTHING to do with the car or driving. It was used as an example that "injury risk" needs to be quantified. There IS risk in driving, just so small that no one will argue it shouldn't be done. This is all on the basis that I believe the injury risk in any 1 series is small enough not to be paranoid about playing football players.

Comparing driving risk to a game of football played by professionals is also a red herring and is about as irrelevant as it gets. You should be thankful that I even addressed it. Once again, driving is something that people have to do. It's not as if they can spread wings and take flight. It's necessary. Assuming risk of injury to one of your Big Three in a meaningless preseason game is not necessary. There is a distinct difference between my point and your red herring.

And I will not go back through every team's preseason game 4 because it is meaningless to this debate. I never argued that teams DO play their franchise starters, nor do I care.

Uh, yeah you did. When you attempt to make an argument that teams resting their starters in the last NFL preseason game is not a universal thing, you are arguing that some teams DO play their starters. And if you didn't care, you wouldn't be here going through a back and forth with me.

I have acknowledged how MOST coaches in TODAY's NFL use the 4th preseason game. Once again, that does NOT mean that is the only way to use it forever. There exist unique circumstances for each team, each year. Rarely do these circumstances exist in such a way that playing your franchise starters in game 4 of the preseason is the better idea. But to pass it off as "no one should ever play their starters in game 4" is simply wrong.

To be fair, I didn't say that nobody should play their starters. I simply made a point that teams don't play their franchise starters. You have seemingly taken the opposite side of that. I've said time and time again that I wouldn't have a problem with playing some defensive starters, but I don't understand why the team would play any of the starting offense. ESPECIALLY not Brady, Welker, and Moss.

Honestly, Kontra you don't really seem to have much issues with what I am actually saying. I think the issue is I am either stating things wrong or you are reading them wrong, but my point was a very simple general point, not meant to stir off this much debate. (I suppose you weren't lying in your post in the jmt thread :p)

Yes... I've never denied that I'm not a huge pain in the ass. As for the rest of what you wrote, I'm taking a few issues with some of the things you're saying. I've addressed them and I'm about to address another one right below this...

Is this serious? Practice is meaningless to the standings yet you wouldn't argue to stop practicing.

Practice isn't meaningless to the standings. Teams execute new strategies based on the teams they are playing week to week. That's why practice is important to the standings. On top of that, the level of play going against teammates really can't be compared to the level of play going against another team. Especially when that other team is playing second stringers which, ONCE AGAIN, are trying to make a name for themselves. Those guys tend to try to hit a little harder to be noticed by the coach, lest they find themselves without a job in another week.

Practice leading up to a meaningless game is then meaningless, so they should all just get a vacation and not have to work. Technically, since the practice leading up to the game and the game don't effect the standings then by your strict definitions, they are needlessly risking injury.

You seem to think and agree that Bill Belichick is a genius when compared to the other head coaches in the league. That he is ahead of the curve. Do you not? So, with that in mind, do you honestly believe that the starters are preparing for the Giants as opposed to the Bengals this week?

There's usually an elevator nearby.

LOL. An "A" for effort. There's not usually an elevator nearby an apartment, though. :cool:

I disagree 100%, and I am glad that BB is not paranoid like Dungy and the fans.

You do realize that BB has rested the important starters in pretty much every final preseason game in his career with the Patriots as well as a few "meaningless" Week 17 games, right?

So what have the Colts ever gained from resting players in 'meaningless' games? Seriously, the goal is to win the superbowl. You want to be playing your best going into the playoffs, not needlessly resting and getting rusty.

The Colts rested their players, were healthy going into the playoffs, and proceeded to take apart the same team that dominated us a week earlier. They then overcame some early brain farts and took apart the Jets the next week. If Manning wasn't such a choker, they had the opportunity to win the Super Bowl. As it turns out though, it's impossible to correlate Manning's propensity to choke with the Colts resting their starters.

It wasn't a brain fart, it's just that they know wtf they are doing. They aren't paranoid fans who use their emotions to decide that it's just obviously stupid to play football players in a game at the end of the season.

I wish he would have. We would have played Baltimore with Welker at our disposal instead of losing him in a meaningless game in which we didn't gain anything anyway and really didn't have anything to gain either.

And why is it that you often take very simple points that I make and explode it into some hugely unnecessary debate?

It takes two to tango...

As usual, a collection of logical fallacies and a ton of hypotheticals...

There are no logical fallacies in my posts.

You used that to back up a point you were making. How else was I supposed to take it? Don't be angry at me for shutting down your point. After all, you were the one that used it.

:rolleyes: This is exactly why these arguments go on and on. You refuse to take the time to understand a point and go off on a tangent. The CAR was an extreme example of something that carries RISK, however the risk is so LOW (and improbable) that no one worries about their star players driving. The dirt biking without a helmet was an extreme example on the other end, where it carries a RISK, and that risk is so HIGH that no one would want their star player doing it. Obviously playing 1 series of a football game falls somewhere in between. Some must feel that the risk is on the higher end, while my argument is that it is on the lower end.

You have not shut down any point, you have simply showed an unwillingness or inability to follow a very simple logical argument.

Comparing driving risk to a game of football played by professionals is also a red herring and is about as irrelevant as it gets. You should be thankful that I even addressed it. Once again, driving is something that people have to do. It's not as if they can spread wings and take flight. It's necessary. Assuming risk of injury to one of your Big Three in a meaningless preseason game is not necessary. There is a distinct difference between my point and your red herring.

good grief man. Substitute driving with ANY activity that carries a small risk that you don't "have" to do. This isn't rocket science here.

Uh, yeah you did. When you attempt to make an argument that teams resting their starters in the last NFL preseason game is not a universal thing, you are arguing that some teams DO play their starters. And if you didn't care, you wouldn't be here going through a back and forth with me.

To be fair, I didn't say that nobody should play their starters. I simply made a point that teams don't play their franchise starters. You have seemingly taken the opposite side of that. I've said time and time again that I wouldn't have a problem with playing some defensive starters, but I don't understand why the team would play any of the starting offense. ESPECIALLY not Brady, Welker, and Moss.

Why don't you go back to my first comment. I simply said it's NOT black and white, meaning exactly what you just bolded here. It's not a foregone conclusion that nobody should play their starters. Of course you took that and accused me of making points I did not make and went off on a tangent.

Practice isn't meaningless to the standings. Teams execute new strategies based on the teams they are playing week to week. That's why practice is important to the standings. On top of that, the level of play going against teammates really can't be compared to the level of play going against another team. Especially when that other team is playing second stringers which, ONCE AGAIN, are trying to make a name for themselves. Those guys tend to try to hit a little harder to be noticed by the coach, lest they find themselves without a job in another week.

So you basically just refuted your point that Welker shouldn't have played the game he tore his ACL in.

They have a week of practice leading up to the Houston game, which is meaningless in the standings. So what you are saying is that they should practice for the playoffs and ignore Houston altogether, so start gameplanning against 1 or 2 possible opponents and have rest rather than working out kinks? You have a fine case for not playing any one of huge importance in game 4 preseason, and I don't disagree with you there. I disagree with the idea that Welker should have been held out of the Houston game entirely.

You seem to think and agree that Bill Belichick is a genius when compared to the other head coaches in the league. That he is ahead of the curve. Do you not? So, with that in mind, do you honestly believe that the starters are preparing for the Giants as opposed to the Bengals this week?

There is no real gameplanning the opponent in preseason.

You do realize that BB has rested the important starters in pretty much every final preseason game in his career with the Patriots as well as a few "meaningless" Week 17 games, right?

Guys that need rest in week 17 get it, but he has never rested high profile guys for the entire game due to fear of injury in week 17. Preseason game 4 yeah there's hardly ever a need to play the savvy vets.

The Colts rested their players, were healthy going into the playoffs, and proceeded to take apart the same team that dominated us a week earlier. They then overcame some early brain farts and took apart the Jets the next week. If Manning wasn't such a choker, they had the opportunity to win the Super Bowl. As it turns out though, it's impossible to correlate Manning's propensity to choke with the Colts resting their starters.

And other years? (BTW Ravens and Jets were not very good teams so that wasn't a big accomplishment). Sure Ravens destroyed us but really we didn't have an NFL-calibur offense in that game. No Welker, an injured Moss and "rusty" Brady... start the year out like that and there's no way we even make the playoffs.

I wish he would have. We would have played Baltimore with Welker at our disposal instead of losing him in a meaningless game in which we didn't gain anything anyway and really didn't have anything to gain either.

Sure, in hindsight I wish I could change a lot of things that didn't go right in the past. Since there's no crystal ball, I'll continue to be against fearing injury to the point of holding out high profile guys from any "meaningless" game. There's more to be said for going into the playoffs strong than for being paranoid about possible injuries. Now I'm not arguing win at all costs type of mentality, but I'd rather continuing to work on things in game (while still getting them SOME rest when you don't have a bye) going into the playoffs. Sometimes week 17 meaningless game provides a great opportunity to try/work on things that you may not normally have done if you needed the win.

PS: You also assume that Welker would have absolutely not gotten hurt in practice or against the Ravens. If you assume that then don't believe that risk of injury is extremely low?

It takes two to tango...

touche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back