PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs Rodgers vs Manning

Looks like no one refuted what I said below :

Peyton Manning is 9-11 in the playoffs with 5 home losses as the #1 seed twice, #2 seed twice and #3 seed once.

Those just are not GOAT numbers not even remotely close. Yes he is a great regular season QB but he chokes in post season .

Also his 1 SB victory came against a Rex Grossman led bears , one of the worst teams to ever make it that far.

Brady is better than Peyton every day and twice on Sunday

Looks like no one refuted what I said below :

Peyton Manning is 9-11 in the playoffs with 5 home losses as the #1 seed twice, #2 seed twice and #3 seed once.

Those just are not GOAT numbers not even remotely close. Yes he is a great regular season QB but he chokes in post season .

Also his 1 SB victory came against a Rex Grossman led bears , one of the worst teams to ever make it that far.

Brady is better than Peyton every day and twice on Sunday

Furthermore, his numbers during the 06 postseason were fairly pedestrian were they not? If I recall correctly, the defense was a big part of what sparked that Colts team's SB run.

Also, I'll go ahead and admit to heresy in saying that I'm not sure that Joe Montana would be in my top 5. I think he definitely benefited from piloting a revolutionary offense that defenses hadn't figured out yet, and he benefited from it. IF he were starting out today, I don't think he would be nearly as successful.

I understand the thread topic but I couldn't let heresy of this magnitude just pass me by.:)

Did you ever see Montana play? I did , since the start. Undisputed master general who could make any throw in any situation, ridiculously nimble in the pocket and tough as nails. won superbowls with COMPLETELY different teams and coaches and even dragged a mediocre Chiefs team to a championship game at the end of his career. HE WAS INCREDIBLE and while it can be debated who is #1, Montana CERTAINLY is top 5.

Ok resume original thread topic who is better right now.

Probably Rodgers because of his age but if I had to pick a young version of each to start a team it is hands down Tom F. Brady.

I understand the thread topic but I couldn't let heresy of this magnitude just pass me by.:)

Did you ever see Montana play? I did , since the start. Undisputed master general who could make any throw in any situation, ridiculously nimble in the pocket and tough as nails. won superbowls with COMPLETELY different teams and coaches and even dragged a mediocre Chiefs team to a championship game at the end of his career. HE WAS INCREDIBLE and while it can be debated who is #1, Montana CERTAINLY is top 5.

Ok resume original thread topic who is better right now.

Probably Rodgers because of his age but if I had to pick a young version of each to start a team it is hands down Tom F. Brady.

Not in person, but yes, I'm old enough that I did see Montana play going back to his days at Notre Dame. He was drafted by SF at the start of Bill Walsh's tenure as HC. He an offense that revolutionized the NFL at the time. He also had a very stout defense backing him up. When Walsh retired, he was replaced by one of his assistants, George Seifert. Mike Holmgren took on the reigns as Offensive Coordinator. It's not like a new leadership came in, cleaned house and instituted their own way of doing things.

In the three years before Montana took over at KC, they had been 11-5, 10-6 and 10-6 under Steve DeBerg and Dave Kreig. KC had made the playoffs in all 3 of those years. While he took them further his first season, it's not as if he came in and rescued a stumbling franchise. His season records were 8-3 (injury) and 9-5.

He was a great QB and he was certainly clutch, but again, I don't know that he'd make my top 5 list now.

Not in person, but yes, I'm old enough that I did see Montana play going back to his days at Notre Dame. He was drafted by SF at the start of Bill Walsh's tenure as HC. He an offense that revolutionized the NFL at the time. He also had a very stout defense backing him up. When Walsh retired, he was replaced by one of his assistants, George Seifert. Mike Holmgren took on the reigns as Offensive Coordinator. It's not like a new leadership came in, cleaned house and instituted their own way of doing things.

In the three years before Montana took over at KC, they had been 11-5, 10-6 and 10-6 under Steve DeBerg and Dave Kreig. KC had made the playoffs in all 3 of those years. While he took them further his first season, it's not as if he came in and rescued a stumbling franchise. His season records were 8-3 (injury) and 9-5.

He was a great QB and he was certainly clutch, but again, I don't know that he'd make my top 5 list now.

KCs season with him was the most successful in DECADES but its funny how you brush it off. He made walsh' offense just as much as walsh made it and you did not address the totally different players but you couldn't because you would be agreeing with me .

we will agree to disagree on this subject ,no more thread hijacking. and I am sure 99% of all football fans agree with me. :D

KCs season with him was the most successful in DECADES but its funny how you brush it off. He made walsh' offense just as much as walsh made it and you did not address the totally different players but you couldn't because you would be agreeing with me .

we will agree to disagree on this subject ,no more thread hijacking. and I am sure 99% of all football fans agree with me. :D

"Most successful in decades" is a tad bit misleading in that in 93, he got them exactly 1 game further than they had been in 91 when they made it to, and lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs. Under Montana in 93, they won that game but then lost in the next round, the Conference championship.

You're kind of making it seem like he took a perennial 6-10 team and turned them deep into the playoffs simply due to is addition to the team. That just wasn't the case. Shottenheimer had already turned that franchise around.

A couple of older post by me about Brady's case as the GOAT:

from Dec 2012

There is already a strong case to be made for Brady as the GOAT.

Better playoff record than Montana overall, 1 less SB but 1 more Conf Championship + Brady's winning % as a QB is far higher (.776 vs .713). Of the top 50 QB's of all time only 3 have >/700 winning % (Staubach is the other .746, but far fewer starts than Brady & Montana).

If Brady wins a 4th SB objectively he is a mortal lock as the GOAT, especially given the salary cap era restrictions that Staubach, Starr, Montana didn't have to deal with.

If we were to assume Brady had 4 more 'average' years in terms of wins, we might be looking at 25 Playoff wins 50% more than Montana, and perhaps catching Farve for overall wins in the reg season (with Brady having a far higher winning % and more playoiff wins by far).

From Jan 2012

Stats change due to how the rules are created and enforced the measure of QB's is winning.

Well TFB has the highest winning % ever for NFL QB's (.780), behind him are R Staubach (.739) and J Montana (.713).

Brady is currently has 2nd most playoff wins @ 15, Montana has 16 wins, Brady has a higher winning % in the playoffs compared to Montana (.727 to.696). If we win the SB he will have moved to the #1 spot for all time playoff wins.

Brady has more regular season wins 124 to 117 for Montana.
So if Brady were to win another SB.

Brady is on track to be the greatest winner in the history of the NFL.

Another SB win and there isn't even an argument Brady is the GOAT. He could hit 150 reg season wins this year.

It is far, far more likely, however, that Brady never wins another SB; so IMHO he's just one of the guys
behind the true GOAT, Joe Montana. If Bart Starr, Unitas & Otto Graham had to play more PO games
for their titles and then won them, all 3 would be ahead of Brady too.

It is far, far more likely, however, that Brady never wins another SB; so IMHO he's just one of the guys
behind the true GOAT, Joe Montana. If Bart Starr, Unitas & Otto Graham had to play more PO games
for their titles and then won them, all 3 would be ahead of Brady too.

Your post makes no sense.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back