PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady update

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is nothing in there saying there is any more set back then we already heard over a month ago. I read it and took it as basically a lecture in whats going on, what could go right and what could go wrong...just me?

How did Rivers have a torn ACL in the AFCCG, play with it, get surgery and make it back this season have a damn fine season? That's encouragement enough to me. Just enjoy the season people, and until you actually have a reason to panic, just let it ride. Why get grey hair over nothing? None of us know whats going on, I know no one from the team is giving them step-by-step information on what's going on either.

there is nothing in there saying there is any more set back then we already heard over a month ago. I read it and took it as basically a lecture in whats going on, what could go right and what could go wrong...just me?

It's the idea of piling coulds and mights on top of one-another that makes the article into toilet paper. Even some poor (maybe by design) phrasing to get people riled up.

Example:
In all likelihood, the patella tendon graft inserted to replace his torn ACL during surgery Oct. 6 will be kept, and not replaced in a second operation.

The commas are used to insert an idea mid-stream like "This afternoon, despite my dog barking, I took a nap." Right, so to cut to the chase, "This afternoon I took a nap."

In Karen's sentence the focus is left at "in a second surgery". The informative version of this sentence would be "In all likelihood there will be no second surgery to replace..."

The sentence construction can very easily be read as there will be a second surgery (in all likelihood) but the tendon will be kept. That makes a sentence that is more inflammatory (pun) and fills more space. But it's shoddy journalism. And there's a beautiful "in all likelihood" escape clause if the writer is wrong. What it means is "I'm guessing that". Utter crap.

That's my point. Most of the spin is intended to cause hype by speculating about thing we already knew and what ifs. That is shoddy journalism.

America . . . loves . . . drama. The tag line from a great football commercial.

Let me see - as complications from surgery, Brady could have lost his leg, he could have died, he could have witnessed the end of his football career. Any mention of probabilities based on even the limited facts included in the article? Why clutter good drama with scientific fact. Knee surgeries are not uncommon, so there are likely plenty of case studies available if the author wanted to offer the parade of horrors. Strange none are included.

Nothing new at all. Just a detailed exploration of what if's well after news of an infection went public. A good eye catching article with virtually no substance.

they dont tell us when our guys have sprained ankles, you think our front office is going to let out information about TBs knee? come on

Why are NFL sources releasing this information? It is none of their

damn business. This situation should be confidential and only Brady,

his doctors, or the Patriots should be giving out details.

Zero new information in that article. He had an infection, which has accompanying risks, and that tends to slow down recovery. We knew that.

Zero new information in that article. He had an infection, which has accompanying risks, and that tends to slow down recovery. We knew that.

This story will grow even thou there is no new information. It has already spread all over the internet. "Bradys 2009 season in jeapardy". :disagreement:

Shira Springer's article seemed relatively fair and balanced, unfortunately, it left room for mediots to turn it into a doom and gloom article.

I've taken a new attitude - let them do this. Let them paint a picture of a hobbled Brady who may never be the same player. Let them make it sound like his career is over. It'll just make the story that much sweeter when he comes back and delivers us another SB ring :D

Last edited:
Leave it to the Inside Track to have the real new information:

Tom Brady starts much-kneeded rehab - BostonHerald.com

"Don’t breathe a word of this. Because nobody’s supposed to know. But Tom Brady [stats] has begun his comeback from knee surgery - attending a SmartWater soiree over the weekend and begining his rehab workouts at Gillette Stadium .

Word from our QB/QT spies is that No. 12 hobbled into the Liberty Hotel on Friday night for a promotional event for Glaceau, makers of SmartWater. As you undoubtedly know, Tom was paid something in the neighborhood of $3 million to be a premiere pitchman for the bottled-water company.

“He looked a little thin,” said Someone Who Was There. “But seemed in good spirits.”

Meanwhile, Tom’s teammate lineman Matt Light [stats] told the WAAF [website] morning crew yesterday that Brady had begun working out down in Foxboro - the first step on his long road to recovery.

“He’s in there and he’s doing everything you have to do at this point,” Light told WAAF’s Greg Hill . “And it’s good to see him. It’s good for the guys. . . . Everyone’s been worried about him and it’s good to have him back in there.”

Leave it to the Inside Track to have the real new information:

Tom Brady starts much-kneeded rehab - BostonHerald.com

"Don’t breathe a word of this. Because nobody’s supposed to know. But Tom Brady [stats] has begun his comeback from knee surgery - attending a SmartWater soiree over the weekend and begining his rehab workouts at Gillette Stadium .

Word from our QB/QT spies is that No. 12 hobbled into the Liberty Hotel on Friday night for a promotional event for Glaceau, makers of SmartWater. As you undoubtedly know, Tom was paid something in the neighborhood of $3 million to be a premiere pitchman for the bottled-water company.

“He looked a little thin,” said Someone Who Was There. “But seemed in good spirits.”

Meanwhile, Tom’s teammate lineman Matt Light [stats] told the WAAF [website] morning crew yesterday that Brady had begun working out down in Foxboro - the first step on his long road to recovery.

“He’s in there and he’s doing everything you have to do at this point,” Light told WAAF’s Greg Hill . “And it’s good to see him. It’s good for the guys. . . . Everyone’s been worried about him and it’s good to have him back in there.”

Where is TMZ when you need them? LOL!

I think the chances of Brady coming back are obviously pretty good. I think there is also considerable uncertainty about when that will be. If he is still on antibiotics, even under the best case scenario that the infection will clear, he has already paid a price in terms of (1) recovery time and (2) arthritic complications. This is what was new to me in this article: It is not simply that his rehab is delayed--it is a different kind of rehab from an uncomplicatied ACL surgery. Without the infection, the chances of a healthy Brady in 09 were better. I am merely raising the question of how the complication might figure in to planning for 09. The answer is that it is too early to tell, but I think it only makes sense that Cassel's value to the team increases in light of the Brady's complication.

The OP is trying to stir the pot, nothing else. The article states nothing we didn't know, except he's in Boston. Let the thread die.

Last edited:
Infection slows Patriots quarterback Brady's rehab - The Boston Globe

Serious uncertainty. Sounds like he will not be ready for TC and probably a good bit therafter. Makes me think that the team will be looking for a little QB insurance this summer. I wonder what they would have to sacrifice to pony up the money to keep Cassel? Is it even possible given what other teams will offer?

Over-react much? Nothing in that article is new other than Brady being back in Boston. Nothing. Its just a rehash.

Brady will be ready for passing camps, never mind TC.

And, I hate to break it to the person that wrote the article, but many ACL surgeries don't go the way she described. In fact, there are many where the patient has to be immobile for the 1st 4 weeks post surgery because of the secondary injuries. Like torn cartiledge and damage to the MCL. This is to allow them time to heal.

Its a junk piece written by someone who doesnt' have all the facts in an attempt to get people like yourself to believe that the sky is falling.

Even if Brady is 100% going into TC I still want us to keep Cassel in the fold.

That's probably not going to happen unless Cassel feels that this is his best opportunity, which I doubt.

My bet is that Minnesota or Detroit will be willing to throw a 4 year deal that pays Cassel in the $5-$7 million a year range.

There is news in this article. Old news, but news none the less. It does state that Brady came to Boston for a check up and that he suffered from a staph infection. And the likelihood that the ACL will not need to be replaced, but no final decision will be made until Brady is done with his antibotic treatment.

Otherwise, it is all speculation and conjecture just like the stuff that went on a few weeks ago that had Brady anywhere from a few week set back to the doctors needing to amputate his leg. It will just lead to more people calling WEEI with their horror stories of unrelated ACL injuries from 20 years ago to compare to Brady.

Actually timliness has a lot to do with whether something is still news. There is a better name for old news and its called history. That said the news part comes from the fact he is back in boston which is even a few days old too.

This just in the Berlin Wall was torn down.

Christopher Price's lastest post has an ACTUAL Brady update. Not drivel like this...

An absurdly sensational headline from the boston channel.com

How irresponsible of them to have such a headline, its grossly misleading, and the article itself does not make any effort to back up or support its sensational headline. Pathetic, really. Unfair to Brady.

Well that proves my point about headlines. I told you if they had a doctor who said there was a one and zillion chance that Brady's leg would need to be amputated that someone would run in the headline that his leg may be amputatated. This headline is as bad or worse.

Considering it looks like the doctors caught the infection about a week after the initial surgery, I think they caught it in time and Brady's family may not have to make funeral arrangements just yet. Of course I am keeping my standby ticket to California so I can comfort Giselle for her loss just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST