PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady to play another 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never gamble on an unknown commodity. If Brady is still at 75 - 80% of what he is today you will still be able to win a championship with him.

Jimmy G. is an unknown. We have seen him have a couple of decent Pre Season performances. Who the hell knows what he will be like in a 16 game season.

I will want Brady at center until he is truly done. If that means we have a to suffer through a losing season then so be it. Brady has earned that right with me.

( I originally red X'd your post but have taken it back. I know you are a die hard Pats fan.)

I appreciate that ;)

Look, I'm not saying that I'd chose Jimmy G. over Brady. But the Patriots have created an awkward QB situation for themselves. On one hand, you have a hall of fame quarterback arguably at the height of his powers, showing no sign of decline or any interest in shortening his career. And on the other, you have a talented quarterback still in his 20s, who's only under contract through the end of the 2017 season, which is exactly the same time that Brady’s contract will expire!

We're talking about two quarterbacks with two very different goals, who will both have to decide whether they want to remain with the franchise. I can't imagine that going smoothly.

Last edited:
You really think after another couple of seasons working with him JG will be an unknown to the people who matter, the coaches?

This is a good point. If the coaches really believe in Jimmy G, it wouldn't make sense to let him go in 2017 if they thought Brady would only stay good for another couple of years after that.

You really think after another couple of seasons working with him JG will be an unknown to the people who matter, the coaches?

The coaches will not know what they have until he plays 16 games. They will not know what they have until he is in the Super Bowl down 14 points in the 4th Qtr against the best defense in the NFL. No one will know that. But we do know that Brady can deliver in those situations. So you ride the proven horse until.......it can no longer win.

Last edited:
Randy Couture was still fighting and defeating world class elite MMA fighters when he was 46, 47, 48 years old.

giphy.gif

He was the UFC heavyweight champion at 45 and 1/2 years old until losing it to a dramatically oversized Brock Lesnar. It's certainly not the norm but it happens. Good genes and taking care of ones self goes a long way.

This is a good point. If the coaches really believe in Jimmy G, it wouldn't make sense to let him go in 2017 if they thought Brady would only stay good for another couple of years after that.

I understand the point but how can you know???? How can you know when Brady is finished?? Why would you try to guess that? He can and has delivered SB championships to this city/state/NE. JG has not played one complete regular season game. You do not nor will not know what he can do until he has done it.

Don't get me wrong, I like JG. He is probably the best backup we have had although I liked Cassel just as much in the past.

I would rather suffer through a few rough seasons with Brady in decline (because he has earned it) then get rid of Brady too early and allow an unknown commodity take the reigns.

Last edited:
I understand the point but how can you know???? How can you know when Brady is finished?? Why would you try to guess that? He can and has delivered SB championships to this city/state/NE. JG has not played one complete regular season game. You do not nor will not know what he can do until he has done it.

Don't get me wrong, I like JG. He is probably the best backup we have had although I liked Cassel just as much in the past.

I would rather suffer through a few rough seasons with Brady in decline (because he has earned it) then get rid of Brady too early and allow an unknown commodity take the reigns.

You're putting me in the difficult position of having to decide which quarterback would be better for the future of the team...and I just can't go there yet. But in this kind of long-term situation (i.e. the contractual options for Brady and Garoppolo in 2017) there's gonna be some degree of tension....or at least a little awkwardness for the next couple of years, as the team tries to figure how long they can keep both players on the roster.

If I'm Jimmy though, I wouldn't want to wait until my early 30s to start playing as a starter.

Last edited:
Brady is playing the best football of his career and some of the best football ever. I pity the fool who shows up to play against him. Better to just claim plane problems.

There's no shame in claiming the plane never showed up at your house.

At the very least it is sure to pop up on the prohibited substances pretty soon. :cool:

News Flash: Tom Brady is being investigated for elevated levels of Potassium and Vitamin C.

You're putting me in the difficult position of having to decide which quarterback would be better for the future of the team...and I just can't go there yet. But in this kind of long-term situation (i.e. the contractual options for Brady and Garoppolo in 2017) there's gonna be some degree of tension....or at least a little awkwardness for the next couple of years, as the team tries to figure how long they can keep both players on the roster.

If I'm Jimmy though, I wouldn't want to wait until my early 30s to start playing as a starter.

I understand and I agree with the optimism for JG but bottom line for me is you go with what is a proven winner. What your implying is that the Pats trade Brady in 2017 which may be the same as handing a Lombardy trophy to another team.

Is JG the next TB, AR, JM or some other great? Nobody knows but if Brady is still playing at a high level in 2016 why switch? Maybe trading JG for a couple of picks to a desperate team is the way to go.

People often discuss who is more responsible for the success BB or Brady? I don't want to know. It is an interesting question but I'd rather discuss how much more success they could achieve together.

EDIT: Instead of Joe Montana I should have used Steve Young in that question.

Last edited:
With all this crap going on, people fail to realize that he is in better shape than younger QBs [Ratburger, obvious] and it's quite likely he has another 5 years.

Despite corruption gate, they will need to arrest and incarcerate him, given close to 5 seasons, to prevent him and Belichick from destroying every freakin record in the NFL record book and that's a fact!

Pats fans, enjoy not a season, or a player, but a heroic epoch rivaled only by demigods like Hercules.
For a professional athlete, Roethlisberger clearly does not take care of himself. I will be shocked if he is able to play at a high level 3 years from now. Which is actually sad because he is playing at a very high level.

Brady playing at 48? No chance. Playing at a high level at 40? Seems very possible.

Like BB has said, everyone is different. Some players fall off a cliff, some player's decline is more gradual, some actually improve. Just gotta take it year by year.

When you consider how well he takes care of his body, how little he relies on physical ability and how hard he prepares, he could play for a long time if he continues to get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds. Of course, a lot of this depends on the salary that Brady is willing to play for. I suspect he'd play for free if it meant extending his career. Count Brady out at your own peril.

When you consider how well he takes care of his body, how little he relies on physical ability and how hard he prepares, he could play for a long time if he continues to get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds. Of course, a lot of this depends on the salary that Brady is willing to play for. I suspect he'd play for free if it meant extending his career. Count Brady out at your own peril.

And here we see the distinctive difference between the Irish & their Scots cousins.

And here we see the distinctive difference between the Irish & their Scots cousins.
The shared passion from which they arose has since been molded by different circumstances.

Last edited:
Tennessee will have to move to the NFC.

Maybe they'll do away with divisions and conferences by then and just let the two best teams play. No more getting into the post season with a losing record or having Denver having to be humiliated by Seattle.

I understand and I agree with the optimism for JG but bottom line for me is you go with what is a proven winner. What your implying is that the Pats trade Brady in 2017 which may be the same as handing a Lombardy trophy to another team.

Is JG the next TB, AR, JM or some other great? Nobody knows but if Brady is still playing at a high level in 2016 why switch? Maybe trading JG for a couple of picks to a desperate team is the way to go.

People often discuss who is more responsible for the success BB or Brady? I don't want to know. It is an interesting question but I'd rather discuss how much more success they could achieve together.

EDIT: Instead of Joe Montana I should have used Steve Young in that question.

Some quarterbacks are content to be second- and third-stringers and get a paycheck for being someone else's backup. But other quarterbacks spend their entire lives wanting to become starters and someday lead a franchise to success. What kind of quarterback do you think Garappolo wants to be?

Belichick spent a second round draft pick on someone he knew he could turn into a starter. Whether you like it or not my friend, the organization has already positioned itself to move on from Brady. It's only a question of when, and whether Brady decides to do it on his terms or someone else's.

We'll know by 2017 how this will turn out

Last edited:
Maybe they'll do away with divisions and conferences by then and just let the two best teams play. No more getting into the post season with a losing record or having Denver having to be humiliated by Seattle.
Too much money is made in the playoffs for that ever to happen. It's more likely that the NFL would move to a Maximum Playoff Scenario, where all 32 teams qualify for the post season.

Some quarterbacks are content to be second- and third-stringers and get a paycheck for being someone else's backup. But other quarterbacks spend their entire lives wanting to become starters and someday lead a franchise to success. What kind of quarterback do you think Garappolo wants to be?

Belichick spent a second round draft pick on someone he knew he could turn into a starter. Whether you like it or not my friend, the organization has already positioned itself to move on from Brady. It's only a question of when, and whether Brady decides to do it on his terms or someone else's.

We'll know by 2017 how this will turn out

Yeah I am not going to worry too much about it until then. I do understand both sides of the discussion. I am only stating my wishes. We've seen similar situations with other all time greats...ie Montana/Young and Favre/Rogers. I hope it turns into a Brady gets another SB ring and rides off into the sunset type of thing.

We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents