PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, in the MVP race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, do note that Brady is the only one of those 5 not to play 6 games yet. They all have an extra game worth of stats.

I wouldn't mind reverting back to the 2001-2004 era, let Peyton win the regular season MVP while Brady gets his 3rd Superbowl MVP.

Peter King on MMQB has him in first place thus far.

Based on past trends, if Manning continues what he's been doing this season there is no way he won't win it.

As much as I love Brady, I can no longer pretend that Manning isn't the best QB I've ever seen play. He is the Colts, without him, they are not even a .500 team

Peyton had great stats last night but he played lousy. The Skins dropped at least 3 easy INT's which just goes to show how much "luck" can play into statistics. Brady gets charged with a "who cares INT" as time expired and it impacts his stats. QB's to me are like pitchers in baseball - they must adapt to the game at hand and play accordingly. Evaluating on "fantasy" criteria will always make Manning a favorite. Wins mean more than anything else and post season means even more.

He should definitely be in the running, but Manning will likely win the regular season MVP once again. And I really don't care. It's what this team does, should they get into the postseason, that I care about.

Based on past trends, if Manning continues what he's been doing this season there is no way he won't win it.

As much as I love Brady, I can no longer pretend that Manning isn't the best QB I've ever seen play. He is the Colts, without him, they are not even a .500 team

That's ridiculous. Manning is surrounded with a number of great players on both offense and defense.

Earlier this year, people chastised Belichick's recent draft because he didn't have the success of other GM's like Polian. But when we hear about Manning its all about how he is the entire team. People can't have it both ways! Either Polian is a great drafter or Manning wins on his own.

That's ridiculous. Manning is surrounded with a number of great players on both offense and defense.

Earlier this year, people chastised Belichick's recent draft because he didn't have the success of other GM's like Polian. But when we hear about Manning its all about how he is the entire team. People can't have it both ways! Either Polian is a great drafter or Manning wins on his own.

If forced to pick between those two, Manning wins on his own

IMO He's pretty much the league MVP. I'm happy with Brady, I wouldn't prefer Manning. It's just silly to try to pretend that he isn't an incredible football player

San Diego scares me. I know we usually play them well, but even with the defense showing signs of life last night, Philip Rivers is a top 5 QB and won't make those boneheaded throws Henne made.

Rivers has made plenty of boneheaded throws. 12 Td passes to 5 picks. He is playing better than usual this season though. He still doesn't scare me as much as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady. After all he has managed to lose 4 games with the Chargers already thus far.

Last edited:
Peter King on MMQB has him in first place thus far.

King actually had him about fourth or fifth in the past few weeks. Interesting that he moved him up to #1 this week.

I think Brady actually stands a good chance, depending on what he does the rest of the season, how the team finishes, if Manning breaks Dan Marino's yardage record, and how the Colts finish.

If the Pats go 12-4, 11-5 or better and Brady throws for 3,800 yards, 30 TD, 12 INT...he'll get a lot of credit in the eyes of voters because he's without Moss and winning more and still having great stats.

If the Colts finish with a similar record and Manning continues the season he's having, including breaking Dan Marino's yardage record, Manning will win.

But I don't think Manning will win, even with the tongue-bathing he gets from voters, if he breaks the record but his team goes 10-6.

The Colts/Pats game (who wins) could greatly impact both home field for the playoffs and the MVP.

If forced to pick between those two, Manning wins on his own

IMO He's pretty much the league MVP. I'm happy with Brady, I wouldn't prefer Manning. It's just silly to try to pretend that he isn't an incredible football player

Nobody is saying that he isn't an incredible football player, but it is silly to assume that he is the only one. He is a great football player, in a great system, surrounded by great players. There is no reason to hand him an MVP based on nothing but assumptions and justifications, especially after last night when he threw bad throw after bad throw.

Last edited:
I could not care less if Brady is the league MVP this year.

But I do think it would be great is he is the Super Bowl MVP in February.

I think Brady actually stands a good chance, depending on what he does the rest of the season, how the team finishes, if Manning breaks Dan Marino's yardage record, and how the Colts finish.

If the Pats go 12-4, 11-5 or better and Brady throws for 3,800 yards, 30 TD, 12 INT...he'll get a lot of credit in the eyes of voters because he's without Moss and winning more and still having great stats.

If the Colts finish with a similar record and Manning continues the season he's having, including breaking Dan Marino's yardage record, Manning will win.

But I don't think Manning will win, even with the tongue-bathing he gets from voters, if he breaks the record but his team goes 10-6.

The Colts/Pats game (who wins) could greatly impact both home field for the playoffs and the MVP.

It doesn't matter if the Colts go 8-8, if he breaks the record he's MVP

He won't get MVP if he doesn't have the wins to backup the yardage record. There's no stat I hate more than quarterback yards, certain situations can inflate them - big time. Plus it seems like with all the new anti-defensive rules they're becoming easier and easier to get.

Wouldn't it be hilarious though if Manning and Kyle Orton broke Marino's record at the same time?

Last edited:
Who cares who the league MVP is, I only care about the Super Bowl MVP and the team he plays for.

Unless another QB just goes berserk and throws 40 TDs the league MVP is going to Manning. It's just a simple fact I came to terms with. After seeing him rob it from CJ2K or Brees last year I just simply gave up on the award.

Manning (4-2)
1,916 Yards
13 TDs
2 INTs
103.4 Rating

Rivers (2-5)
2,344 yards
13 TDs
6 INTs
97.8 Rating

Brady (5-1)
1,362 Yards
11 TDs
4 INTs
96.0 Rating

Brees (4-3)
2,027 Yards
14 TDs
10 INTs
91.4 Rating

Rodgers (4-3)
1,841 yards
12 TDs
9 INTs
89.0 Rating

Rivers, Brees and Rodgers have all played 7 games. Brady & Manning only 6.

Brady will have pedestrian stats (other than quarterback rating) but if we finish with the best record, how can you not give it to him? Manning passing Marino (if he does) won't be anything special since Rivers and Orton are likely to do it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes