PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, Gronk, and Marty B are just as unstoppable as we thought they'd be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also wondering if BB is deliberately keeping the full potential reined in, so that he can spring it on teams later when the games have greater importance.

Kind of like he did keeping Jimmy playing vanilla to keep teams from getting an early look and adjusting quicker, to give the Pats a better chance at weathering the 1st 4 games.
In another thread, Andy pulled up stats that showed how much more effective the Pats defense has been in the 2nd half (save Miami).

Another one of the many reasons the Pats have been able to stay at the top of the league has been their ability to quickly adjust to what teams are doing to them and not just at the half. Every first half the game day crowd is howling about the lack of a pass rush, and almost magically (save the Steelers) the in the 2nd half the pass rush improves.

In all cases what happens is by design. The fact is, that despite what fans think about them, there are a lot of good coaches out there who have the ability to design schemes that will confound even the Pats.....for a while. It's one thing to go into a game with a great game plan, you have to get to the AP level, when you have the ability to adjust TO that great game plan. And then you get to the doctorate level when you adjust to the adjustments. And then there is the semantics factor.

I have harped on the fact that a key factor in the Pats success is LANGUAGE driven. Over the years BB has developed the semantics necessary to, in as few words as possible, tell his players what he wants them to do, and, more importantly, feel confident that everybody knows what he's talking about. It's one thing for a coach to see what the opponents are doing to be effective, and then devise the adjustment quickly enough. It is ANOTHER thing to be able to explain that adjustment and then feel confident that everyone understands what is need to get done. Down in Foxboro EVERYONE speaks the same language as far as football go.

I can remember as just a young HS coach when I first became a DC. I would spend a few hours after looking a film designing what I wanted to do, and then spend almost the same amount of time trying to figure out what I was going to say to get my team into the correct position.

Trying to narrow down the exact terminology in the fewest words to get 11 kids, not only to recognize what's happening, but to get them all to understand what their 11 individual responsibilities were going to be when they saw it. And THEN wean it down to the 4 or 5 words that will explain it within the familiar football terminology that you are using to teach them on a daily basis. It is NOT easy, but Bill has clearly perfected it for his infinitely more complex system.

Great camera angle of a great throw by a great QB to a great target .. just great

That was a sweet throw. Brady has made a lot of nice deep throws this season.

That was a sweet throw. Brady has made a lot of nice deep throws this season.

Hope Gronk gets #69 receiving a deep throw from Brady. #ifyouknowwhatimean

The Seattle game is going to be exceptional. They are playing better as a group defensively than anytime since their super bowl win.

If we drop 25-30 points on them, no one will scare me.

When is Chancellor coming back?

I'm also wondering if BB is deliberately keeping the full potential reined in, so that he can spring it on teams later when the games have greater importance.

Kind of like he did keeping Jimmy playing vanilla to keep teams from getting an early look and adjusting quicker, to give the Pats a better chance at weathering the 1st 4 games.
I absolutely feel they're not playing them like they will later in the year. I feel they're pacing both guys to keep them healthy and to have less on film. Look out in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back