PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady at Michigan - all you ever wanted to know and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, good stuff. Read the whole thing and it was pretty long and wordy you're right, but it was very interesting and informative. I didn't realize how complicated his set up was at Michigan. Shows you how much of a fighter this guy is. Exactly what I want in my QB especially when you combine that toughness with a strong arm and great touch.

I finished reading it myself and I said 'wow' a few times. I can see how some teams passed on Brady due to his very 'skinny' build, but to drop to the 6th round is just, well, WOW. Man, did we luck out or what???

The quotes from his Michigan teammates just shows you that Tom was born with natural leadership skills...they loved him and as Coach Carr said, would go to the wall for the kid. Sounds familiar. Even with his fame and surreal success that he has achieved, he still manages to seem humble and down to earth. Not an easy task but somehow he just seems to pull it off without being a jerk.

I guess it's Thank You George Steinbrenner then for giving the Pats a shot at drafting Brady in the 6th! We all have to be extremely thankful that Brady fell that far down. With Brady at the helm of the Pats, I really think that down the road we will be looking at his time with the team as the golden age of the Pats. We are oh so lucky.

I haven't finished it yet but I can see it's going to be a great read.

Does anyone know why Tom didn't wear #10 with the Patriots? I can't recall having a #10 on the roster in 2000. Tom's NFL hero, Joe Montana, wore #16.

??

re:

WOW!! Amazing read.

It is long, but only because it is so in depth and comprehensive.

It took me about an hour, but it was worth it.

Tom Brady is the man.

Man, it sure brings back some memories. I remember Tommy almost leading us to the comeback against MSU after Coach started Drew in the second half. Then, him absolutely willing us to the Orange Bowl win after we twice fell behind Bama by 14 points, when they were considered the hottest team in the country. After Milons scored the punt return TD to put them up 14, Brady was running up and down the sidelines telling everyone we were going to win the game. He led us on 2 straight TD scored the next 2 drives.

Michigan Dave said:
After Milons scored the punt return TD to put them up 14, Brady was running up and down the sidelines telling everyone we were going to win the game. He led us on 2 straight TD scored the next 2 drives.

Tom Brady is William Wallace. Quotes I liked from that website:

"I met him during training camp in 2000. I was leaving late one night and this tall skinny kid approached me holding a pizza box. I said, "I know who you are; you're Tom Brady, sixth-round pick from Michigan," and he replied, 'and I'm the best decision this organization has ever made.' I was stunned. The amazing thing is he didn't say it to be ****y or arrogant...he was sincere...I went home and told everyone about it." - Bob Kraft

-Some team finally wanted him, although his sixth-round status had to make him wonder how much...when Bill called him Tom said, "You won't regret this."

-'If you want to play with the big boys, 'you gotta learn to play in the tall grass"

-"I knew we weren't going to lose that game...when you play a great defense like that, they're going to force you to make mistakes, but one of our goals is to refuse to lose. We keep battling until the clock says 0:00".

-"Maturing and becoming a championship quarterback is a process. It's not a certain play or certain game. I think over the course of the season you learn to develop a style and swagger so your teammates respond and you are able to lead the team. Playing quarterback isn't necessarily just about throwing touchdown passes. It's about getting victories for your team. As the season goes along and the games get more difficult, you have more responsibility to put yourself and your team in a position to win games."

He wore #12 in HS, so when he showed up he had a #12 in his locker. I remember reading that he called home and told his parents that they gave him #12 and thought about asking for #10, but his Mom told him that the number didn't matter and he should be happy with what he got, so he never did ask for the #10.

Drewwho said:
He wore #12 in HS, so when he showed up he had a #12 in his locker. I remember reading that he called home and told his parents that they gave him #12 and thought about asking for #10, but his Mom told him that the number didn't matter and he should be happy with what he got, so he never did ask for the #10.
Thank you. I was just wondering. It sounds just like Tommy and his family - always humble and appreciative, never forgetting how lucky they are.

PromisedLand said:
Thank you. I was just wondering. It sounds just like Tommy and his family - always humble and appreciative, never forgetting how lucky they are.

Tommy is not humble.

He is just a mama's boy. :D

Bump
Great read for Pats Fans

This is the best recap of the Brady/Henson situation I've ever read. This should go in an FAQ section it's so good.

Wow. Well written, very informative. That was good.

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
This is the best recap of the Brady/Henson situation I've ever read. This should go in an FAQ section it's so good.

Yeah, but it's very slanted. As someone who lived through the controversey, and knows both guys pretty well, I have to say that the exaggeration that everyone was against Tommy is pretty silly. The team, we were behind both, but we knew Tommy was a special player. Most of the fans didn't want Drew in the games, because when he played it was a substantial dropoff from Tom's level of play. And claiming that coach was pressured from boosters to play Drew is just silly. It was your typical QB controversey, and the only regrets I have is that coach played Drew in the MSU game, because if Tommy plays the whole game, I have a national championship ring on my finger. Drew was a great QB for Michigan, and a fine student athlete. He should've had to wait another year to play, though.

Michigan Dave said:
Yeah, but it's very slanted. As someone who lived through the controversey, and knows both guys pretty well, I have to say that the exaggeration that everyone was against Tommy is pretty silly. The team, we were behind both, but we knew Tommy was a special player. Most of the fans didn't want Drew in the games, because when he played it was a substantial dropoff from Tom's level of play. And claiming that coach was pressured from boosters to play Drew is just silly. It was your typical QB controversey, and the only regrets I have is that coach played Drew in the MSU game, because if Tommy plays the whole game, I have a national championship ring on my finger. Drew was a great QB for Michigan, and a fine student athlete. He should've had to wait another year to play, though.

You were a Wolverine?

What position?

What a great read!

Biased or not, I can't understand the logic of taking Tom out in some of those games. It clearly cost them the game in at least two of the contests they lost. After reading that it actually makes perfect sense how we ended up with a guy like Tom as our QB. It's crazy to read that college side of his script and see how it translates directly into his NFL career. We are so lucky to be living in the Tom Brady era. Even if he accomplishes NOTHING else he's already the greatest Patriots QB of all time, and arguably one of the best NFL QBs ever. All this after FIGHTING for a starting job in college and riding the pine as a fifth year senior. Unbelievable. I come away from that story with the feeling that Carr is an enormous dunderhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes