PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Moss names mentioned in rap lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
From bagpipes to the Japanese flute, from the sitar to chanting monks, my musical tastes are quite varied. For me, it's far more about my mood than about any particular musical style.

I love bagpipes. They really relax me for some reason.

Music's quirky. You just don't know what you're going to like until you give it an honest chance. Debbie Boone proved that to America, to our undying shame.

Debbie Boone didn't exactly light up my life either...but yeah, it's strange what you find yourself liking. There are actually quite a few TV theme songs that I love to death. Welcome Back, Kotter comes to mind. Never had thunk it, but I really like the Dukes of Hazzard theme song. I even like the theme song to "Alice," if you can remember that. It's probably really terrible, but it's part of who I am. Brings back memories of a good place in time.

Three's Company of "come and knock on our door" fame. Crazy little jingles.

Barney Miller
Chico and the Man
Different Strokes
Fat Albert
Mary Tyler Moore
M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless)
The Love Boat
One Day at a Time
Hawaii-Five-O
The Rockford Files
Taxi

The list is endless. These stupid little songs mean something to me.

I love bagpipes. They really relax me for some reason.

Like you, I find the pipes to be very relaxing, although they can really add to a more martial type of music as well (See: Steve MacDonald's Sons of Somerled).

Topic tangent alert!

I found stuff like this as a result of that dreaded enemy of America: internet downloads.

One of the really great things about Napster and the like which the RIAA overlooked in its stupidity is the way people were able to listen to music they wouldn't ordinarily have paid attention to. Galacian, Irish and Scottish bagpipe bands made money off of me that they'd never have gotten if it weren't for those sites. Irish and Scottish musicians made a small fortune off of me as a result, actually, since I'd gotten tired of listening to all the lousy music that the U.S. was putting out by the mid '90s, and I was desperate for new music to listen to. Robert Tree Cody has to be happy with my money as a result of the same thing.

This CD was a purchase because of Napster:

Amazon.com: Shakuhachi - The Japanese Flute: Kohachiro Miyata: Music

The list goes on and on.

Last edited:
I've got this one tucked away somewhere.

21FPP1FA42L._SL110_.jpg

Like you, I find the pipes to be very relaxing, although they can really add to a more martial type of music as well (See: Steve MacDonald's Sons of Somerled).

Topic tangent alert!

I found stuff like this as a result of that dreaded enemy of America: internet downloads.

One of the really great things about Napster and the like which the RIAA overlooked in its stupidity is the way people were able to listen to music they wouldn't ordinarily have paid attention to. Galacian, Irish and Scottish bagpipe bands made money off of me that they'd never have gotten if it weren't for those sites. Irish and Scottish musicians made a small fortune off of me as a result, actually, since I'd gotten tired of listening to all the lousy music that the U.S. was putting out by the mid '90s, and I was desperate for new music to listen to. Robert Tree Cody has to be happy with my money as a result of the same thing.

This CD was a purchase because of Napster:

Amazon.com: Shakuhachi - The Japanese Flute: Kohachiro Miyata: Music

The list goes on and on.

Last edited:
I don't know PJ. This thread was only on its 8th page when i went to sleep this afternoon. Now after reading 20 more pages, my head hurts :bricks:

No, you love it!

I've got this one tucked away somewhere.

21FPP1FA42L._SL110_.jpg

Most of my music is still in storage. When I start cracking it out, I'll pass along a title or two if I can find excerpts for you to listen to online. I have no idea when that will be, though. Heck, I'm still looking for that 'favorites' box.

Most of my music is still in storage. When I start cracking it out, I'll pass along a title or two if I can find excerpts for you to listen to online. I have no idea when that will be, though. Heck, I'm still looking for that 'favorites' box.

I'm moving in a week. Not looking forward to the process of it.

To keep this post relevant, I'll say that I'm hoping that Randy Moss or Tom Brady will be one of my movers. I'm not so greedy to expect them both to show up to help.

I'm moving in a week. Not looking forward to the process of it.

To keep this post relevant, I'll say that I'm hoping that Randy Moss or Tom Brady will be one of my movers. I'm not so greedy to expect them both to show up to help.

Moving? to the States?

Oh, i found out today im hitting TC, but not until 8/2. So, wont see ya there.

Moving? to the States?

Oh, i found out today im hitting TC, but not until 8/2. So, wont see ya there.

I wish. No, moving to a crapier part of China.

Sucks for me that I won't see you at TC. :( Maybe at a game some time.

Don't you understand? There's good rap and bad rap, but nobody can judge which is which because it's subjective. This is true even though apple strudel is positive that:

1.) There is good rap and bad rap, even though there's really not good rap and bad rap.

2.) The only people who don't like rap are white people have never listened to good rap or hip hop in their lives. (again, even though there is no such thing as good/bad because it's all subjective, but there is such a thing because apple strudel tells us there is).

3.) People who don't like rap have never listened to the words. In over 20 years of rap music, they've somehow avoided every single word used, be it NWA, Tone Loc, Tupac or some dude from the local park. And they need to know the lyrics to understand if the music is good or bad, because you can't really like the music unless you do, even though liking or disliking it is subjective and there is(n't) a good or bad rap/hip hop music. Hell, those racist bastards probably covered their ears and went "La La La" just to avoid hearing such brutal titles as Funky Cold Medina and Christmas in Hollis.

I hope this primer has helped clear up any confusion you might have had.

Deus, I love your game. When you don't have an argument, invent what the other guy is saying.

I have been consistent and clear: you can't dismiss genres as inferior. Faberge makes easter eggs into museum pieces. Chandler makes pulp into required reading. You may not like it, but dismissing it is a fool's game. Is that why you're playing it?

I think we are trying to argue different points. Rap doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of music. All the "value" it has is derived from the lyrics. That's why I don't really consider rap to be music (even though, yes, I'll admit it is music). Genre's like Jazz derive all of the emotion, etc, from the actual music.

Good lord you are ignorant. Hip-hop is endlessly musical. Take samples from different songs or different eras and put them together and see what you get. It's the same thing a painter does when he mixes new colors to see what he gets.

And whoever dismisses sampling is also completely wrong. Remember what Andy Warhol did? Yeah, that's what sampling does for music. The first practitioners were as innovative for music as Warhol was for painting. Not even the Jazz greats leaped as far. All art cites other art heavily to create new works - Renaissance artists are sampling the bible all the time.

Llisten to RJD2 or Madlib and tell me sampling doesn't create new art. :ugh:

That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be an objective standard. Really, the failure to see that is one of the reasons that apple strudel's argument has been so weak. One COULD evaluate art on an objective basis, and most people do use some objective measurements within/along with their subjective takes.

:ugh: For the millionth time, you can't compare genres effectively because they're doing different things. There's just no way of doing it, and there's no accepted standard for evaluating genres. You're better off comparing within genres at least. Is Rock greater than Jazz, or Blues? How do you even begin that argument? The answer is you can't. it's a silly game to justify a bad personal taste.

Again, painting was considered superior to film and photography, but is no longer due to the appearance of greats in those media.

Your having a terrible argument is not the same as others dancing around the point.

:ugh: You've said absolutely nothing of relevance in this thread, been consistently disproven, shown endless counterexamples, and can only come back with broad value judgments in lieu of arguments. It's pretty obvious: you can't dismiss genres out of hand. I can't dismiss rock saying it requires less skill than Jazz because the Bowies of the world show that you can do a lot with it. Simple. Easy. A child could understand it.

:ugh:

Good lord you are ignorant. Hip-hop is endlessly musical. Take samples from different songs or different eras and put them together and see what you get. It's the same thing a painter does when he mixes new colors to see what he gets.

And whoever dismisses sampling is also completely wrong. Remember what Andy Warhol did? Yeah, that's what sampling does for music. The first practitioners were as innovative for music as Warhol was for painting. Not even the Jazz greats leaped as far. All art cites other art heavily to create new works - Renaissance artists are sampling the bible all the time.

Llisten to RJD2 or Madlib and tell me sampling doesn't create new art. :ugh:

Wait, are you saying that music sampling has gay sex, shoots heroin and then gets shot?

THIS has got to be the stupidest thing you've said so far, which is saying something.

Dude, what you have with rap a lot of times is people making rhymes over mechanical music. There is no human element at all except for the rapper. There are no people making music with instuments. If a musician has an effect on his instument like a distortion pedal, that's hardly the same as pressing buttons to create everything except the rapper's voice. To me, what makes good music good music is because it comes from people's heart. A machine is NEVER from the heart. A machine has no feeling.

Oh brother. :ugh: Seriously, listen to RJD2.

Also, tell a minimalist that feeling is a necessary criteria for art. Seriously. :ugh:

:ugh: You've said absolutely nothing of relevance in this thread, been consistently disproven, shown endless counterexamples, and can only come back with broad value judgments in lieu of arguments. It's pretty obvious: you can't dismiss genres out of hand. I can't dismiss rock saying it requires less skill than Jazz because the Bowies of the world show that you can do a lot with it. Simple. Easy. A child could understand it.

Careful, you start talking about skill, and Jazz, and that "Berklee grad" will come after ya :D

Deus, I love your game. When you don't have an argument, invent what the other guy is saying.

I have been consistent and clear: you can't dismiss genres as inferior. Faberge makes easter eggs into museum pieces. Chandler makes pulp into required reading. You may not like it, but dismissing it is a fool's game. Is that why you're playing it?

You haven't been consistent and clear, other than when you've attacked others for pointing out the folly of your arguments. When that's happened, you've been consistently ridiculous.

:ugh: For the millionth time, you can't compare genres effectively because they're doing different things. There's just no way of doing it, and there's no accepted standard for evaluating genres. You're better off comparing within genres at least. Is Rock greater than Jazz, or Blues? How do you even begin that argument? The answer is you can't. it's a silly game to justify a bad personal taste.

Again, painting was considered superior to film and photography, but is no longer due to the appearance of greats in those media.

This is, once again, where your subjective/objective argument has gotten you all in a twist. It's been pointed out to you repeatedly.

You haven't disproved anything other than your own argument.

Using your own statements.

Due to your internal inconsistencies.

However, it's clear that you're going to continue with the silliness of your inconsistent point, so I leave the thread to you. Go imply that more people are racist just because they don't like rap music. That was a truly brilliant argument. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good lord you are ignorant. Hip-hop is endlessly musical. Take samples from different songs or different eras and put them together and see what you get. It's the same thing a painter does when he mixes new colors to see what he gets. :ugh:

Sampling isn't like mixing new colors. Sampling is like creating a collage out of existing paintings. Jeez.

For the Pat Metheny Group, they offer something for everyone.
If you are into good old classic jazz rock from the 70s (you know, some synth, strong rock groove, lucid guitar tone), I'd recommend the early PMG albums (Pat Metheny Group, American Garage).

If you like a somewhat avant-garde jazz, with a lot of afro-cuban and latin influences, I'd recommend Offramp and First Circle (one of my favorites).

If you like more pop-y jazz, again with latin influences, try Still Life (talking). Great album (minuano 6-8, Last Train Home are beautiful).

If you like more contemporary Jazz with a lot of folk, pop, rock, and latin influences, try "Speaking of Now", "Letter From Home", "We Live Here" - almost 'cool' jazz, very groovy.

If you want something with a really heavy Asian and Indian influence, check out "Imaginary Day". Very "outside" type of sound, but amazing.

His latest album, "The Way Up", is one long song split into a couple of tracks. It is insane. It is very progressive and has everything in it, great hot jazz swing sections, beautiful slow melodies, amazing trumpet solos, lots of rhythm changes, sometimes almost meanders, best use of a harmonica I've heard, and a ton of in-depth connections.

Pat Metheny also does a ton of work on his own and on side projects, although they are mostly straight ahead jazz. He has a great album with Herbie Han**** (live) called "Parallel Realities". "Water Colors" is a nice cool jazz type album with a ton of beautiful melodies. "Jaco" is a great fusion album.

"Like Minds" is probably one of his best straight jazz albums. Amazing lineup including Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Roy Haynes, and Dave Holland.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe