PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Brees both on track to break Marino's record for passing yards in a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsfanin Philly

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tom Brady has 4593 passing yards and needs just 491 yards to get to Marino’s record of 5084 passing yards in a season.

He is averaging 328.1 yards per game. Prorated over 16 games, that is 5249 yards.
However Drew Brees is doing him one better.
Brees has 4780 passing yards needs 304 more to get to Marino's record. He is averaging 341.43 ypg which prorates to 5462 yards. He could break it this weekend versus at home versus Atl and faces Carolina in week 17. Fighting for that second bye, I don’t see the Saints sitting him…..

Rodgers has 4360 yds an average of 311.4 ypg prorates to 4983 yards…
NFL Stats: Player
FWIW, Brady has 39337 passing yards and 296 passing TDs. If he keeps pace, he could hit 40,000 yards passing for his career and 300 TDs against Miami....

Last edited:
Re: Brady and Brees both on track to break Marino's record for passing yards in a sea

Brees will crush that record so hard that it will take an 18 game season and another dominant QB in a dome to beat it.

Re: Brady and Brees both on track to break Marino's record for passing yards in a sea

Its amazing Tom is close especially with some of his "off" games this season.

The fact that Brady could break this is amazing. A QB playing in a dome is one thing, a cold weather QB is another.

I use the dome argument in the manning vs. Brady debate but, I don't think it is valid here....well not yet anyway.

Brady has not played in a game under 40 degrees thus far (according to andy gresh)and hasn't seen a hint of precipitation this year. That could very well change in the next two weeks, but as of now I think the pats have had some pretty fair weather at home this year.

I feel bad for Marino. All his records were broken because of legislation.

They will both break it, be proud of it, and then not care about it.
If SF loses on monday we have the driver seat for #2 seed. As long as that remains in contention Brees will not leave a game. Once the #2 seed is solid Brees will sit.
If we can't get #2 seed but..
the division is in contention Brees will not leave a game.
If Brady wants to continue playing and smash the passing record, I think thats great. I garrote Brees will not get into a shootout for the record.
Brees and all 1st string will sit as soon as we can be sure of where we stand in the playoffs.
I really don't see anything wrong with a QB trying to pad their stats or go for records, its their resume and most play to be famous anyway.
But their is no way SP would allow Brees to play, if #2 seed is sold or our wild card is. Sp has already sat Brees when he was 10 yards or a TD away from a record, because we were so far ahead.
So if we get #2 seed early, I bet both will break the record, but Brady will surpass him.

Last edited:

It's awesome TFB might break the record. But Drew Breezy is going to shatter it.

Last edited:

I feel bad for Marino. All his records were broken because of legislation.

Very true.

If SF loses on monday we have the driver seat for #2 seed. As long as that remains in contention Brees will not leave a game. Once the #2 seed is solid Brees will sit.
If Brady wants to continue playing and smash the passing record, I think thats great. I garrote Brees will not get into a shootout for the record.
Brees and all 1st string will sit as soon as we can be sure of where we stand in the playoffs.
I really don't see anything wrong with a QB trying to pad their stats or go for records, its their resume and most play to be famous anyway.
But their is no way SP would allow Brees to play, if #2 seed is sold or our wild card is. Sp has already sat Brees when he was 10 yards or a TD away from a record, because we were so far ahead.
So if we get #2 seed early, I bet both will break the record, but Brady will surpass him.
You seem to be implying that Payton and Brees care about winning and BB and Brady care about stats. Really?

You seem to be implying that Payton and Brees care about winning and BB and Brady care about stats. Really?

nope, Im not. I am just saying what we will do, and if NE does it a different way, thats fine.
Im not sure how NE will operate once they get seed. But, if Brady wants to go for stats, like I said, I don't see that as bad or wrong. If BB gives him the opportunity to build his resume and he wants to , so what. That should never be seen as a bad thing.
But, Im almost positive SP will not allow Brees to do this. Based on our history. Just trying to explain our way of doing things, but maybe I didn't do it well.

Last edited:

nope, Im not. I am just saying what we will do, and if NE does it a different way, thats fine.
Im not sure how NE will operate once they get seed. But, if Brady wants to go for stats, like I said, I don't see that as bad or wrong. If BB gives him the opportunity to build his resume and he wants to , so what. That should never be seen as a bad thing.
But, Im almost positive SP will not allow Brees to do this. Based on our history. Just trying to explain our way of doing things, but maybe I didn't do it well.

I dont think its possible (or at least realistic) that we will have a 1 seed locked up before win #13.
BB has usually taken the approach that players play, and having them on the field is the best way to get them prepared for the playoffs anyway. There have been exceptions, but I think with a bye coming he wont sit his starters in week 17, thinking 2 weeks off will hurt more than it helps.
However, I think he values PREPARING to play eqaully to playing, so pulling them early is possible too.

They should both go for it.............Brady needs a little over 200 yards the next two games I think and brees can do it in a game.

No reason not to.

He wouldnt be playing to pad his stats if we had our seed locked, BB would play him and all regulars to stay sharp, especially if you have a bye week.

I dont think its possible (or at least realistic) that we will have a 1 seed locked up before win #13.
BB has usually taken the approach that players play, and having them on the field is the best way to get them prepared for the playoffs anyway. There have been exceptions, but I think with a bye coming he wont sit his starters in week 17, thinking 2 weeks off will hurt more than it helps.
However, I think he values PREPARING to play eqaully to playing, so pulling them early is possible too.

Sp is still kind of young as a coach , and we do wonder if sitting the guys is the best idea, but pretty positive he will do this. In 2009 we sat starters after the dallas game #14. so, a lot of our guys didn't see the field for a month.
Well, he played them 5-10 minutes , so not completely true. I always wonder what is the right way to do this.

He wouldnt be playing to pad his stats if we had our seed locked, BB would play him and all regulars to stay sharp, especially if you have a bye week.

Well thats smart move, Im sure BB knows more than SP. I wonder what the stats are on sitting and playing.

The records are fine, but they're mighty hollow if you can't back them with the title.

Does anyone really care about the TD records for Brady and Moss in light of the way that season ended?

Well if SF loses, we're in the drivers seat for the #1 seed in the AFC. So we each have something going in that game.

The Pats will not play Brady in order to pad stats - - you know Belichick better than that.

The home field advantage is what is in front of them, and despite it not helping the last two years, it is still preferable to going to Pitt or Balto.

Well if SF loses, we're in the drivers seat for the #1 seed in the AFC. So we each have something going in that game.

The Pats will not play Brady in order to pad stats - - you know Belichick better than that.

The home field advantage is what is in front of them, and despite it not helping the last two years, it is still preferable to going to Pitt or Balto.

huh??? if SF LOSES???? you must have meant Pitt

huh??? if SF LOSES???? you must have meant Pitt

Yup. Past my bedtime.

Meant "If SF WINS...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back