PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bowl games - draft prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
#18 for Penn State, OLB Navorro Bowman is sticking out like a sore thumb.

Think he's a Freshman, so he won't be coming out this year, but definitely one to keep an eye on. Listed at 6"1/228.

He's a soph. Someone needs to teach PSU cb's how to play press coverage.
They line up 7-8 yds off ball every play and backpedal. They were awful tonight.
Also, our highly touted DL didn't generate much of a pass rush. Maybin, M.Evans
and J.Odrick need another year to mature.

VT vs Cin on Fox.

Virgil looks like a fine defensive back. He just picked off a pass.

Anyone else watching this game? What other prospects are you looking at?

Richmond @ Northern Iowa - Div 1 Semi-Final.

Northern Iowa

#95 Everette Pedescleaux, 6-6/305, DL, SR - NFL Draft Scout has him as the #42 DT in the draft. He was working against the #11 OG in the 2010 draft and required C help consistently to contain. Demonstrated good hustle on backside and downfield pursuit. Good athleticism. UNI was using him as a 3-technique, but he's better suited to 2-gap, 3-4 DE. Will need strength work, but has a good strength base to build on. Not much of a pass rush, but may get better with work. I'd try to bring him in as a UDFA and try to develop him on the Practice Squad for a couple years.

#71 Bob Swift, 6-6/315, OT, RS SR - RT working against Sidbury (see below) and handled him easily. May be a good Scarnecchia Academy prospect.

#23 Darrell Lloyd, 6-0/191, CB, SR - Versatile hard hitter, playing SS in this game, announcers report he is an NFL prospect.

#1 Corey Lewis, RB, (rSr), 6-0, 192 - Scat back, played faster than NFL Draft Scout's reported time, needs to get stronger and add some muscle but is forecast as a UDFA target.

Richmond

#32 Josh Vaughan, SR, RB, 6-0, 232 - His predecessor is the starting RB for Arizona, he showed good speed, but needs to be stronger in his running.

#2 Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., RS SR, DL, 6-4, 265 - Color man reports he'll be playing on Sundays, good ball awareness, needs to get stronger, needs some technique work, was easily handled by #71 for UNI.

#82 Joe Stewart, RS SR, TE, 6-4, 238 - Good hands, may be a bit slow for the NFL and does need to bulk up, but worth a closer look at his Pro-Day. Scored the tying TD in the final seconds to set Richmond up for the winning extra point kick.

I only had the second half recorded...

Texas Bowl Western Michigan vs. Rice

Players to watch - Western Michigan

#6 Londen Fryar, CB, (rSr), 5-11, 192 - Rice seemed ot be avoiding him.

#9 Louis Delmas, FS, (Sr), 6-0, 196 - Stud. His stock is rising, NFL Draft Scout had him in the 3rd round.

#27 Jamarko Simmons, WR, (rSr), 6-2, 234 - The announcers were puzzled as to why Western Michigan wasn't going to him.

#26 C.J. Wilson, SS, (rSr), 6-2, 206 - I saw one good PBU from him, but the way the announcers talked only his partner Delmas was a match for the Rice sophomore TE who was hurting WMU so badly.

#82 Branden Ledbetter, TE, (rSr), 6-5, 232 - He was getting open, the QB wasn't getting him the ball. He wasn't afraid to block in-line and didn't look too bad. Might be a decent UDFA prospect.

#3 Tim Hiller, QB, (rJr), 6-5, 228 - He had a terrible day, I'll bet he's glad he has another year of college.

Players to watch - Rice

#81 Jarett Dillard, WR, (rSr), 5-11, 185 - Good possession WR the announcers felt was destined for the slot in the NFL. He has two back-to-back 19 TD seasons.

#16 Chase Clement, QB, (rSr), 6-1, 210 - He had a good day and was compared to Jeff Garcia, not a fit for NE.

#30 Andrew Sendejo, FS, (Jr), 6-1, 210 - Stud, he'd be a good late round/UDFA prospect.

VT vs Cin on Fox.

Virgil looks like a fine defensive back. He just picked off a pass.

Anyone else watching this game? What other prospects are you looking at?
He did catch that floater Pike threw up, but I don't recall him standing out otherwise. I'll be rewatching the game and will keep an eye out for him, but Macho Harris and Kam Chancelor were the VT Dbs who stood out.

I love Deon Butler. He could be our next Deion Branch...unless Deion Branch is cut and Deion Branch is our next Deion Branch.

I don't see the Patriots bringing him back after the way he treated the team during negotiations. He burned his bridges behind him in my honest opinion.

Ok.. so the Orange Bowl is the one I wanted to watch and I ended up missing most of the 2nd half cause I got distracted by the GF....

How did Connor Barwin do?

Capital One Bowl (18) Michigan State vs. (15) Georgia

Players to watch - Michigan State

#23 Javon Ringer, RB, (Sr), 5-09, 205 - Needs a lot of work on his blitz pick-up, nice runner, good hands, was lined up in the slot in one formation. Could be developed as a 3rd down back, I don't see him holding up long as a feature back.

#14 Brett Swenson, K, (Jr), 5-08, 160 - struggled on a windy day.

#21 Otis Wiley, SS, (Sr), 6-2, 210 - I wasn't overly impressed with his tackling, though it was Moreno running over him so he was trying to bring down one of the best. He did do a very good job of putting himself in the right place, give or take being faked out by the QB, but that is fixable. PR & KR, decent UDFA project.

#7 Brian Hoyer, QB, (rSr), 6-3, 215 - He's a project for a good QB coach.

#45 Andrew Hawken, FB, (rJr), 6-2, 238 - Good hands, decent blocker.

#65 Joel Nitchman, C, (rJr), 6-3, 300 - Had a little trouble with pass protection, it's probably fixable.

#73 Roland Martin, OG, (rSr), 6-5, 330 - RG, they like to run behind him.

#38 Kendell Davis-Clark, FS, (Sr), 5-11, 208 - Looked good, but hasn't started much this season due to a shoulder injury and disappeared early after tackling Moreno. If healthy he seems like a good project.

#47 Brandon Long, DE, (Sr), 6-4, 250 - possible UDFA LB conversion project.

Players to watch - Georgia

#7 Matthew Stafford, QB, (Jr), 6-3, 236 - Needs a good QB coach and careful handling to avoid ruin; I agree with the color man who wants him to return for his senior year for additional seasoning.

#36 Brannan Southerland, FB, (rSr), 6-0, 242 - Never noticed him.

#1 Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, (Sr), 6-2, 200 - Pretty much held in check by Michigan State.

#56 Geno Atkins, DT, (Jr), 6-1, 290 - Not a fit for NE.

#33 Dannell Ellerbe, ILB, (rSr), 6-1, 236 - Active MLB/Leader, would need to add another 10 lbs of muscle for NE.

#2 Asher Allen, CB, (Jr), 5-10, 198 - great job stuffing end-around, good in run support. Got beat for one reception.

#90 Corvey Irvin, DT, (Sr), 6-3, 289 - Not a good fit for NE.

#5 C.J. Byrd, SS, (Sr), 6-2, 195 - Active S, covers a lot of territory, but didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy.

#86 Tripp Chandler, TE, (Sr), 6-5, 263 - Not a strong blocker, but persistent.

#41 Roderick Battle, DE, (rJr), 6-4, 260 - Didn't catch my eye at all.

#55 Jeremy Lomax, DE, (rSr), 6-4, 248 - I saw one nice play by him, I'd consider him as an OLB UDFA project.

Ok.. so the Orange Bowl is the one I wanted to watch and I ended up missing most of the 2nd half cause I got distracted by the GF....

How did Connor Barwin do?
He got pressure a few times, and showed his hustle for plays away from him, he was stout for runs to his side, but it wasn't the finest game for any Cincinnati player. They were competitive, too many little mental mistakes combined with a sharp VT defensive unit helped them to shoot a toe off. The Cincy defense did limit VT's offense, but they were let down by the offense, mostly the QB making rookie mistakes. I also would have liked Cincy to have used the ground game to settle themselves down and set up their passing game more.

I'll be re-watching the game later to take my time with the game.

He got pressure a few times, and showed his hustle for plays away from him, he was stout for runs to his side, but it wasn't the finest game for any Cincinnati player. They were competitive, too many little mental mistakes combined with a sharp VT defensive unit helped them to shoot a toe off. The Cincy defense did limit VT's offense, but they were let down by the offense, mostly the QB making rookie mistakes. I also would have liked Cincy to have used the ground game to settle themselves down and set up their passing game more.

I'll be re-watching the game later to take my time with the game.

I did hear the words "That another interception for VT" a couple times too many...

I did hear the words "That another interception for VT" a couple times too many...
I knew Pike's floater into the end zone was doomed, it had all the ingredients for a big mistake. The one deflection int that was eventually overruled on replay was actually a punt attempt that could have been a big play, so not as bad - nice play by Macho Harris and Kam Chancelor, both of whom made my board last night. Harris reminds me of a faster Meriweather.

I enjoyed watching the Nebraska-Clemson game, it was close.

Clemson's whole defense was fast

Very interesting game for watching both DL's.

Clemson has a Sr DT Ford (SP) that looks like a decent pro, and a Fr DE Bower (sp) looks like the next young Seymour.

Neb had Suh and Steinkukler,, if there is a better DL available for the draft than Suh you guys will have to tell me. Suh had an awsome game

Last edited:
Neb had Suh and Steinkukler,, if there is a better DL available for the draft than Suh you guys will have to tell me. Suh had an awsome game

I agree Suh looked very good, he seems like a player on the rise and a good fit as a 3-4 end. It doesn't sound like he will come out early, but if he did he may be worth serious consideration.

so far i like Matthews and Cushing from USC, Macho Harris from VT, and the two from Utah Sylvester LB and Kruger DE.

a lot of good players are coming out this year, but these are the folks that really stood out in the games i watched.

I was very impressed with Matthew Jr. Very disappointed in PSU de's Maybin and
M.Evans. Supposedly, Evans is going to declare. I guess he thinks the NFL is
going to forget about his 3gm suspension(marijuana possession) and poor season.
Hello, 4th round. A.Maybin could really benefit from another year in college. I think
he will be a top 10 pick next year if he comes back. McSHay is nuts if he has him
6th overall.

so far i like Matthews and Cushing from USC, Macho Harris from VT, and the two from Utah Sylvester LB and Kruger DE.

a lot of good players are coming out this year, but these are the folks that really stood out in the games i watched.

Kruger'squickness really stood out. He looked a step faster than most of the Alabama defenders.

01/05/09 - South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood has changed his mind, and will return to school for his senior season. The junior confirmed to The State on Monday that he will not be entering the draft after all. He initially said after the Outback Bowl that he was leaving, but said Monday that he was inspired to stay by what happened with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry, who stayed for his senior year and raised his draft stock. The NFL's advisory committee projected Norwood as a fourth- to seventh-round draft pick. "I looked at the situation of Aaron Curry from Wake Forest. He was in a similar situation last year with a second-day grade," Norwood said in a phone interview with The State. "I think it was a smarter decision on my behalf to help me and help the team, also." Norwood, who shifted to linebacker this season after playing defensive end his first two at USC, led the SEC in sacks. Norwood said he did not sign with an agent. He filled out the paperwork to declare for the draft, but had not sent it in. - Joe Person, The State

01/05/09 - South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood has changed his mind, and will return to school for his senior season. The junior confirmed to The State on Monday that he will not be entering the draft after all. He initially said after the Outback Bowl that he was leaving, but said Monday that he was inspired to stay by what happened with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry, who stayed for his senior year and raised his draft stock. The NFL's advisory committee projected Norwood as a fourth- to seventh-round draft pick. "I looked at the situation of Aaron Curry from Wake Forest. He was in a similar situation last year with a second-day grade," Norwood said in a phone interview with The State. "I think it was a smarter decision on my behalf to help me and help the team, also." Norwood, who shifted to linebacker this season after playing defensive end his first two at USC, led the SEC in sacks. Norwood said he did not sign with an agent. He filled out the paperwork to declare for the draft, but had not sent it in. - Joe Person, The State

Darn, one less linebacker in the draft pool, but yeah that's smart if he was only rated a 4th round pick, stay in school. 1st round money is much better!

Ohio State v Texas

Entertaining game that reminded me of the Pats v Giants SB in the way it played out.

Players who either stood out to me or whom I followed.

Jenkins - a stud, shutdown CB. Barring a trade up into the top 3-5 spots, something I see as being highly improbable, the Pats don't have a chance at drafting the kid barring a complete and utter offseason meltdown by MJ in the days prior to the draft.

Orakpo - disappointed by his performance. Got tangled up too much and couldn't free himself from blocks. Just didn't strike me as having good playing strength. I've crossed him off my Pats wish list.

Laurinaitis - is solid in all phases of the game, is generally around the ball and makes plays. Said this, I don't think there's an attribute of his game that's great or excellent nor is he a playmaker. As such, I personally hope the Pats do not use a first rounder on the kid should he fall that far.

B. Wells - had a great first half and did nothing in the second half. If Jordan's resigned, then RB is really not a need for a day one pick.

Robiski - had an excellent game in a losing cause. Even with Moss and Welker on board, I'd have no problem with the Pats using a second rounder on him. He can play.

Cosby - also had an excellent game, ran solid routes, has good hands and just makes plays. I think his stock rose with tonight's game winning performance. I've no problem should the Pats elect to use a third rounder on him.

Cosby - also had an excellent game, ran solid routes, has good hands and just makes plays. I think his stock rose with tonight's game winning performance. I've no problem should the Pats elect to use a third rounder on him.

So long as he doesn't start hawking jello and using nonsense sounds as words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST