PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bowl games - draft prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to watch Unger very closely to see his progress since I last saw him earlier this year.

Speaking of Unger, what was up with that falling down "leg whip" in the second half when he got "temporarily" injured??? Was the leg whip on purpose, or totally accidental?? Leg whips are highly dangerous for both players, but on the other hand would make Unger a "nasty player" which does have it's benefits. (( I don't think BB would put up with leg whips.))

On another front, ever watch a game, see an active LB with the numer 54, and think, got to keep an eye on him cuz he could replace our #54??

And , what is it that you do Ochmed???, you seem very intense on the scouting front.

Last edited:
Speaking of Unger, what was up with that falling down "leg whip" in the second half when he got "temporarily" injured??? Was the leg whip on purpose, or totally accidental?? Leg whips are highly dangerous for both players, but on the other hand would make Unger a "nasty player" which does have it's benefits. (( I don't think BB would put up with leg whips.))

On another front, ever watch a game, see an active LB with the numer 54, and think, got to keep an eye on him cuz he could replace our #54??

And , what is it that you do Ochmed???, you seem very intense on the scouting front.

Though Ochmed and I have had our differences in the past, He's proven time and again to be more right than wrong. In all honesty, I'd love to see him land a job that would put him head to head against Mel Kiper. Yes, I could see Ochmed becoming the next Joel Buschbaum..

I thought that he injured himself on the trip that got him on the ground and the leg whip was just instinct takiing over. It did look to me like whatever the leg probblem was, it was still affecting him because later in the drive down near the goal line he could not get low and blow the DT/NT off the line. Worse still Unger got pushed back and that caused Oregon to fail on 4th down.
Prior to the leg injury, I was so impressed with his mobility and pulling and flattening people all over the place. This guy is a vertatile nasty beast and I sincerely hope BB drafts this kid. 50 starts in his college career, I think the announcers said. He was all PAC 10 as a sophomore at LOT.
Are you kidding me? BB draft this kid please!!!! Do not let him slip away like you did last year with Q. Groves.

I own a sports production company that produces college sports games that you see on TV. I work almost exclusively in the southeast, although I will venture up to the mid Atlantic, IF the weather is nice.

Though Ochmed and I have had our differences in the past, He's proven time and again to be more right than wrong. In all honesty, I'd love to see him land a job that would put him head to head against Mel Kiper. Yes, I could see Ochmed becoming the next Joel Buschbaum..

Thanks, my brother, I apprecaite that. I always thought Joel was the best of the best. I doubt I could have hung with him though.

Once when I was in high school, I met former Georgia HC Vince Dooley at a football camp as he was watching the OL work on blocking drills. I asked him a question on blocking and he spent the next five minutes giving me a lecture on blocking types, fundamentals, and techniques. All of it went over my head and I realized that I do not know Jack about Jill compared to the experts. That is probably how I would feel if I had had the opportunity to talk scouting with Buschbaum.

OK OK....I have missed a ton of Bowl games as usual...and was HOPING there was something about BC/Vanderbilt....and who to watch....GREAT job on all that I missed...Box...GREAT!!! One of these years..I'll get to watch earlier bowl games..and geta REAL start of the draft..but so much happens..it's usually hard....but realing back..it's been really great to see who/what of the past bowl games I missed...

Thanks, my brother, I apprecaite that. I always thought Joel was the best of the best. I doubt I could have hung with him though.

Once when I was in high school, I met former Georgia HC Vince Dooley at a football camp as he was watching the OL work on blocking drills. I asked him a question on blocking and he spent the next five minutes giving me a lecture on blocking types, fundamentals, and techniques. All of it went over my head and I realized that I do not know Jack about Jill compared to the experts. That is probably how I would feel if I had had the opportunity to talk scouting with Buschbaum.

Buschbaum, though, would sit and explain it to you so you'd get it. Unlike Mel Kiper who would laud it over your head...

Buschbaum, though, would sit and explain it to you so you'd get it. Unlike Mel Kiper who would laud it over your head...
Buschbaum...I think was the best!! SO sad he died so early in life...

I know this game is a ways away but I would like to get people's opinions on DE Cody Brown of Connectict. I was talking about him with friends at a game this year. I am not sure he could be a 3-4 OLB. Others think he could be. If you get a chance to watch him Saturday afternoon, I would like to hear what those of you who know more than I do have to say.

OK OK....I have missed a ton of Bowl games as usual...and was HOPING there was something about BC/Vanderbilt....and who to watch....GREAT job on all that I missed...Box...GREAT!!! One of these years..I'll get to watch earlier bowl games..and geta REAL start of the draft..but so much happens..it's usually hard....but realing back..it's been really great to see who/what of the past bowl games I missed...

One guy is DJ Moore, who Walter Football's mock draft has us taking: WalterFootball.com: 2009 NFL Mock Draft

He hurt his ankle doing a nice job breaking up a pass earlier in the quarter (deflected and turned into a pick). He came back in and was limping around and fought through it, think they just took him out.

Another guy is BJ Raji. Based on how upfield a player he is, seems like he's more of a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 NT but that can be changed (Wilfork). He is physically imposing though. Thoughts on him anyone?

LSU-GTech has some good prospects. Notably, O-linemen Ciron Black and Herman Johnson. Black's got some athleticism - might fit in here.

I know this game is a ways away but I would like to get people's opinions on DE Cody Brown of Connectict. I was talking about him with friends at a game this year. I am not sure he could be a 3-4 OLB. Others think he could be. If you get a chance to watch him Saturday afternoon, I would like to hear what those of you who know more than I do have to say.
From NFL Draft Scout's Cody Brown profile page:
Positives: Excellent athlete. Uses his hands to rip off blocks from much bigger tackles. Very good off the edge. Able to get into the chest of his man to bull rush him into the quarterback. Will close on quarterbacks quickly and secure the tackle. Plays on the strong and weak sides, as well as a stand-up rusher at times. Shows potential to be an effective 3-4 rush linebacker. Should be an asset on special teams coverage units. Recognizes misdirection quickly.

Negatives: Lacks great bulk to hold up as an every-down end, and will likely switch to 3-4 rush linebacker in the pros. Can get moved out of the hole. A bit high and choppy in his backpedal, but he can get deep on zone blitzes. Needs to hustle and chase a bit more when plays are downfield or down the line. Quarterbacks and ballcarriers can sidestep him as he closes because he doesn't break down quickly enough to make the tackle.

12/07/08 - Darius Butler, Cody Brown and Will Beatty were invited to play in senior showcase games. Cody Brown was invited to play in the Texas versus the Nation, East-West and Senior Bowl games. Butler was asked to participate in the East-West contest as well as the Senior Bowl, and Beatty to the Texas versus the Nation game. - Joe Perez, Norwich Bulletin
Interesting factoid: Cody Brown has 8 passes defensed, in the Top 25 sack masters only Connor Barwin of Cincinnati is close with 6, the next closest had 3. If you think about it, it takes some athleticism for a 6'2" DE to recognize the pass and divert his rush to get up and knock down the ball. I've seen Barwin in a couple games and he showed some outstanding ball awareness and athleticism to adjust his rush and get his hands up for blocks - I think that stat says a lot for Cody when compared to his closest competitor.

International Bowl
Buffalo vs. Connecticut
When: Jan 3, 2009 Where: Toronto, Canada
Time: 12:00 PM EST TV: ESPN2

Armed Forces Bowl Houston vs. Air Force
When: Dec 31, 2008 Time: 12:00 PM EST TV: ESPN

Players to watch - Houston

#28 Kenneth Fontenette, FS, (rSr), 5-11, 188 - UDFA.

#87 Mark Hafner, FB, (rSr), 6-2, 235 - Late rounds.

#53 Phillip Hunt, DE, (rSr), 6-1, 258 - Late rounds.

#81 Norby Juist, LS, (Sr), 6-5, 265 - UDFA, the #10 LS for Db.

Players to watch - Air Force

Sun Bowl Oregon State vs. (20) Pittsburgh
When: Dec 31, 2008 Time: 2:00 PM EST TV: CBS

Players to watch - Oregon State

#9 Al Afalava, SS, (Sr), 5-11, 212 - Late rounds.

#90 Victor Butler, OLB, (Sr), 6-2, 238 - Late rounds.

#58 Slade Norris, OLB, (rSr), 6-3, 245 - UDFA.

#44 Greg Laybourn, SS, (rSr), 5-10, 208 - UDFA.

#36 Brandon Hughes, CB, (rSr), 5-10, 184 - Early Day Two.

#66 Andy Levitre, OG, (rSr), 6-2, 318 - Early Day Two.

#6 Keenan Lewis, CB, (rSr), 6-1, 198 - Late rounds.

#19 Sammie Stroughter, WR, (rSr), 5-09, 186 - Late rounds.

Players to watch - Pittsburgh

#30 Conredge Collins, FB, (Sr), 5-11, 232 - Late rounds.

#55 C.J. Davis, OG, (Sr), 6-2, 312 - Late rounds.

#59 Mark Estermyer, LS, (rSr), 6-1, 250 - #2 LS for NFL Draft Scout.

#28 Eric Thatcher, FS, (rSr), 5-09, 195 - UDFA.

#40 Scott McKillop, ILB, (rSr), 6-1, 240 - Mid Day Two.

#2 Dorin ****erson, FB, (Jr), 6-2, 230 - Late rounds.

#17 Aaron Berry, CB, (Jr), 5-11, 178 - Late rounds.

#80 Nate Byham, TE, (Jr), 6-3, 255 - Early Day Two.

#56 Joe Thomas, OT, (Jr), 6-5, 305 - Mid Day Two.

Music City Bowl Vanderbilt vs. (24) Boston College
When: Dec 31, 2008 Time: 3:30 PM EST TV: ESPN

Players to watch - Vanderbilt

#33 Reshard Langford, SS, (rSr), 6-1, 212 - Late rounds.

#17 D.J. Moore, CB, (Jr), 5-10, 184 - Rd 1.

#2 Ryan Hamilton, FS, (rJr), 6-2, 210 - UDFA.

Players to watch - BC

#35 Robert Francois, OLB, (rSr), 6-3, 252 - Late rounds.

#7 Kevin Akins, OLB, (rSr), 6-2, 228 - Late rounds, possible SS.

#60 Ron Brace, DT, (rSr), 6-3, 326 - Early Day Two.

#80 Ryan Purvis, TE, (rSr), 6-4, 258 - Early Day Two.

#90 B.J. Raji, DT, (rSr), 6-1, 325 - Rd 1.

#73 Clif Ramsey, OG, (rSr), 6-6, 312 - UDFA.

#65 Matt Tennant, C, (rJr), 6-4, 295 - Mid Day Two

#94 Mark Herzlich, OLB, (Jr), 6-4, 238 - Rd 1 in 2010.

Insight Bowl Minnesota vs. Kansas
When: Dec 31, 2008 Time: 5:30 PM EST TV: NFL Network

Players to watch - Minnesota

#91 Willie VanDeSteeg, DE, (rSr), 6-4, 256 - Late rounds.

#7 Eric Decker, WR, (rJr), 6-2, 215 - 2nd Rd.

#1 Tramaine Brock, FS, (Jr), 5-10, 195 - UDFA.

#15 Traye Simmons, CB, (Jr), 5-11, 178 - Late rounds.

Players to watch - Kansas

#25 Darrell Stuckey, SS, (rJr), 6-1, 205 - Mid Day Two.

#46 Justin Thornton, FS, (rJr), 6-1, 212 - UDFA.

#10 Kerry Meier, WR, (rJr), 6-3, 216 - Mid Day Two.

Chick-Fil-A Bowl LSU vs. (14) Georgia Tech
When: Dec 31, 2008 Time: 7:30 PM EST TV: ESPN

Players to watch - LSU

#74 Brett Helms, C, (rSr), 6-2, 282 - Late rounds.

#93 Tyson Jackson, DE, (rSr), 6-4, 295 - Late Day One.

#79 Herman Johnson, OG, (rSr), 6-7, 362 - Day One.

#27 Curtis Taylor, FS, (rSr), 6-2, 208 - Late rounds.

#2 Demetrius Byrd, WR, (Sr), 6-1, 200 - Mid Day Two.

#49 Kirston Pittman, DE, (rSr), 6-3, 256 - Late rounds.

#5 Keiland Williams, RB, (Jr), 6-0, 228 - Mid Day Two.

#97 Al Woods, DT, (Jr), 6-4, 323 - Mid Day Two.

#29 Chris Hawkins, CB, (rJr), 6-1, 185 - Late rounds.

#84 Rahim Alem, DE, (rJr), 6-3, 256 - Late Day One.

#54 Jacob Cutrera, OLB, (Jr), 6-4, 238 - Late rounds.

#18 Richard ****son, FB, (Jr), 6-3, 246 - Mid Day Two.

#32 Charles Scott, RB, (Jr), 5-11, 232 - Mid Day Two.

#44 Danny McCray, FS, (Jr), 6-1, 212 - Mid Day Two.

#24 Harry Coleman, SS, (rJr), 6-2, 205 - UDFA.

#1 Brandon LaFell, WR, (rJr), 6-3, 210 - Rd 2.

#70 Ciron Black, OT, (rJr), 6-5, 328 - Rd 2.

#90 Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, (rJr), 6-3, 290 - Rd 2.

#65 Lyle Hitt, OG, (rJr), 6-2, 290 - Late rounds.

Players to watch - Georgia Tech

#95 Darryl Richard, DT, (rSr), 6-3, 295 - Late rounds.

#99 Vance Walker, DT, (Sr), 6-2, 296 - Late rounds.

#32 Jahi Word-Daniels, CB, (Sr), 6-0, 194 - Late rounds.

#93 Michael Johnson, DE, (Sr), 6-7, 258 - Rd 1.

#50 Bret White, LS, (rSr), 5-11, 240 - #5 LS.

#71 Cord Howard, OG, (rJr), 6-5, 312 - UDFA.

LSU-GTech has some good prospects. Notably, O-linemen Ciron Black and Herman Johnson. Black's got some athleticism - might fit in here.

Mentioned Black a few weeks back. Very athletic, would fit our O-lineman MO.

Chick-Fil-A Bowl LSU vs. (14) Georgia Tech
When: Dec 31, 2008 Time: 7:30 PM EST TV: ESPN

Players to watch - LSU

#70 Ciron Black, OT, (rJr), 6-5, 328 - Rd 2.

328? He must have piled some weight on, last I heard he was in the 310 range.

Last edited:
Johnson's a monster isn't he? I've seen him measured at 6"8 and about 370lbs :eek:

Johnson's a monster isn't he? I've seen him measured at 6"8 and about 370lbs :eek:

He's definitely a beast.

SC-Iowa going on right now, I've been watching bits and pieces of it. The LG for South Carolina, Meredith, looks pretty imposing himself, though size wise, he's no beast, he has driven quite a few defenders back. He's listed as a tackle in all the draft profiles, but he's playing guard. Like Black, looks like he is a pretty solid athlete.

While the need for an OL has definitely diminished with a healthy Neal, and Kazcur playing well, but some of these guys might fit the bill too well to pass up in the right spot in the draft.

Last edited:
Shonn Greene having a good day for the Hawkeyes in the Outback Bowl. He's run over Jasper Brinkley a couple of times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back