PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges being complimentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borges is demonstrably, without question an a hole.

But he crafts a lede as well as anybody in the business, and his opinions from watching a specific football game are far more worthwhile than some of the young'uns writing for his former employer, alas.

Nicely, nicely put. In all Aspects.

It's been so many Years since I used to read Borges routinely that it feels almost as if I imagined it.

But there was a time when I considered him a Full Member of Pravda's Hall of Fame Lineup:

Peter Gammons ~ BaseBall
Bob Ryan ~ BasketBall
Nick Cafardo ~ FootBall
Ron Borges ~ FootBall

These guys wrote of other things, of course, but Boxing never interested me.

There were other guys, too, of course, perhaps just as worthy:

Ray FitzGerald
Leigh MontVille

And others.

I even considered Mike Barnicle an Honorary Member, as he'd oftentimes print something Misty about the Red Sox, which I'd stumble across as I impatiently leafed through The Rest Of The Paper.

My Lord, did I look forward to reading that Paper, back then.
th_coffee.gif

Is your disagreement based on reading his work?
Of course. Years of it in the past, whatever people feel the need to post here, and just for funsies, this particular article that has you all starry-eyed. It's generic, clunky, and features decidedly un-clever turns of phrase. Like usual.

Does he embarrass himself as a writer? No. As patchick said, he can break down a game or a play pretty well. But he does nothing to set himself apart from the majority of his contemporaries with regards to writing skill.

Last edited:
One can't plagiarize oneself. :)

(Actually, one can, if one sells off the copyright to one's own work. But never mind that detail ...)

Actually you can it is the number one reason students now fail classes. All of your college reports and papers are uploaded into a database (turnitin). Your future work is checked against this database to see if you plagiarized anything. We just failed 3 kids this semester for plagiarizing their own work.

I think George Bailey described Borges once:

0a380ecd09319696d6058f764111c438.jpg

"Oh, he's a sick man. Frustrated and sick. Sick in his mind, sick in his soul, if he has one."

;) (j/k... a little)

Actually you can it is the number one reason students now fail classes. All of your college reports and papers are uploaded into a database (turnitin). Your future work is checked against this database to see if you plagiarized anything. We just failed 3 kids this semester for plagiarizing their own work.

You're saying that students are penalized if they hand in the same paper in two different courses?

Even if that's cheating, it's not exactly plagiarism.

Nicely, nicely put. In all Aspects.

It's been so many Years since I used to read Borges routinely that it feels almost as if I imagined it.

But there was a time when I considered him a Full Member of Pravda's Hall of Fame Lineup:

Peter Gammons ~ BaseBall
Bob Ryan ~ BasketBall
Nick Cafardo ~ FootBall
Ron Borges ~ FootBall

These guys wrote of other things, of course, but Boxing never interested me.

There were other guys, too, of course, perhaps just as worthy:

Ray FitzGerald
Leigh MontVille

And others.

I even considered Mike Barnicle an Honorary Member, as he'd oftentimes print something Misty about the Red Sox, which I'd stumble across as I impatiently leafed through The Rest Of The Paper.

My Lord, did I look forward to reading that Paper, back then.
th_coffee.gif
I don't know about barnicle and sports, but for Many years i couldn't wait to get the globe. I'd run down to the corner store with 25 cents, then 50 cents in my hot little hand, look at the front page to make sure the world wasn't coming to the end and go directly to the sports page to read these these guys. Of course that ended in the early oo's

Both those things are equally true of you.

But unlike you, he's a highly talented writer. So sometimes, when he sees something obvious, he writes about it in an entertaining way.

Making you the only person here who likes and respects Ron Borges. Not surprising though as you also defended Peter Kings indefensible comments about what a great guy and writer Chris Mortenson is to Micheal McCann's class at UNH.

BTW the feeling is completely mutual fencer, you're a pretentious @sshole who knows nothing about football.

But unlike you, he's a highly talented writer. So sometimes, when he sees something obvious, he writes about it in an entertaining way.

That must be why he was fired for plagiarism and toils away at a rag like the Boston Herald, he's such a great writer.

I know you said "writer." That's why I repeated it.

As I said, saying he's a highly talented writer is debatable. I, for one, think his writing is generic sports hack stuff. I won't be alone in this.

Oh, look, he said some kickoffs landed in Oklahoma! Wow!

Describing Slater running "as if his shoes were on fire" stood out to me also.

I'd like to think a truly talented writer would recognize that's a cliched description and find a better way to say it.

Borges is skilled as a sportwriter, the guy can turn a phrase. But he is a ****, that lets his personal feelings overrule his objectivity. He will say and write **** that he does not believe to advance his agenda. However he is still more listenable or readable than the CHB, who IMO is just a despicable personality .

Describing Slater running "as if his shoes were on fire" stood out to me also.

I'd like to think a truly talented writer would recognize that's a cliched description and find a better way to say it.
Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not only is it cliche, but it doesn't even sound right. "Running as if his hair was on fire and he was trying to blow out the flames" would be better, and that would still suck.

Borges is skilled as a sportwriter, the guy can turn a phrase. But he is a ****, that lets his personal feelings overrule his objectivity. He will say and write **** that he does not believe to advance his agenda. However he is still more listenable or readable than the CHB, who IMO is just a despicable personality .
People keep saying he can "turn a phrase." Does anyone have some examples of these cleverly-turned phrases? Because all I see from him are tired metaphors and cliches.

Edit: Better question here. What's a "must-read" Borges article in which he was at the top of his literary game?

Last edited:
When Borges actually made the effort, he was as skilled a wordsmith as I ever read on any sports page. Unfortunately for Ron, he aligned himself with the old guard....Parcell's/Bledsoe....and used his platform to corrupt public opinion against the new guard. Ron made a big career bet that crapped out. His second biggest career mistake was doubling down on his first losing bet. Pounding the table year after year that New England's multi championship coach was a defective miscreant.......well.....that's called career suicide.
These days....the guy just mails it in. Slowly, the Globe's old guard, opinion shakers are sailing toward their sunset....but they won't let go. Gammons....just sad to watch one of the greats scrap for relevancy. Shank.....grasping for 20 second hot takes on local cable.
Back in the day....these guys weren't just reporting...they were in the room. These days...you know how old guys think..."everyone's stupid." And Ron likes to get that message out almost every day.

Turnitin was just starting to become popular when I was in college. That's when I completely lost interest in higher education. Previously, I'd considered graduate school, but I couldn't get over how nonsensical the entire business of academia has become. If you've done the work, you should be able to re-use the work; in an actual job, it's just time- and cost-effective to properly manage that sort of preexisting resource. College should prepare people for a career, not impose artificial rules of how to get a higher (or in this case, passing) grade.

Oh, and I don't like Borges all that much, since we're on the topic. :p

You're saying that students are penalized if they hand in the same paper in two different courses?

Even if that's cheating, it's not exactly plagiarism.

Yup, and they can be years apart. For example, a paper submitted as an undergraduate and a paper submitted as a graduate student. And yes, it is considered plagiarism .

I must admit that I don't know if he's a good writer or not because I simply don't read, and have no intention of reading, his crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3