PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges being complimentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Thanks to the mod who fixed the typo in the title!

After a couple of weeks of decency, Borges is back to being a jerk. Still, he's a talented writer, and we might as well enjoy some tidbits, to wit:

Kicker Stephen Gostkowski did his usual: perfect on two field goals (43, 49) and three PATs, and five of his six kickoffs landed in Oklahoma.

Matthew Slater downed an Allen punt at the Houston 3, getting downfield as if his shoes were on fire. Still a Pro Bowler after all these years.

Brandon Bolden is neither nifty nor swift but is hard-nosed. He ran for 5 yards when no hole was there because he kept his legs driving after defensive end Jared Crick wrapped him up for a loss. That’s who he is. Great run.

With Dont’a Hightower still out, Jerod Mayo had his best game of the season. He finished with eight tackles, most the results of his superior understanding of his opponent’s intentions. He repeatedly made the right reads and thrust himself into open spaces, starting when he beat the block of tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz and shot behind the pulling guard to drop Chris Polk for a 2-yard loss.

Patriots Report Card: Solid win brings grades up

Last edited:
Borges is an a hole, his opinions are worthless.

Both those things are equally true of you.

But unlike you, he's a highly talented writer. So sometimes, when he sees something obvious, he writes about it in an entertaining way.

He shares my sentiments on Mayo. It was easily his best showing so far this season. I look forward to more production in the coming weeks. He can be a secret weapon come playoff time.

But unlike you, he's a highly talented writer. So sometimes, when he sees something obvious, he writes about it in an entertaining way.

Can you repeat that?

Borges is all gooey inside because he had a private meeting with Coach Belichick to discuss the Texans game. Here's a photo:
Oscar_the_Grouch_with_Darth_Vader.jpg

That depends upon who he's stealing from.

Borges being a "highly talented" writer is debatable, to put it lightly.

I said "writer", not "reporter". He's a highly talented writer.

In reporting, he lacks talent, drive and ethics. His pure writing skill is what's let him have a career even so.

Ack! I made a typo in the title. Could a kindly mod please change the word to complimentary? Thanks!

After a couple of weeks of decency, Borges is back to being a jerk. Still, he's a talented writer, and we might as well enjoy some tidbits, to wit:

Patriots Report Card: Solid win brings grades up
He used to be a talented writer.

He's lost his credibility, creativity, harbors a grudge and contrarian schtick makes him a washed-up hack incapable of understanding an alternative point of views.

In reporting, he lacks talent, drive and ethics. His pure writing skill is what's let him have a career even so.
I know you said "writer." That's why I repeated it.

As I said, saying he's a highly talented writer is debatable. I, for one, think his writing is generic sports hack stuff. I won't be alone in this.

Oh, look, he said some kickoffs landed in Oklahoma! Wow!

Borges is an a hole, his opinions are worthless.

Borges is demonstrably, without question an a hole.

But he crafts a lede as well as anybody in the business, and his opinions from watching a specific football game are far more worthwhile than some of the young'uns writing for his former employer, alas.

Borges is demonstrably, without question an a hole.

But he crafts a lede as well as anybody in the business, and his opinions from watching a specific football game are far more worthwhile than some of the young'uns writing for his former employer, alas.
I feel like I've been reading a different guy all these years (before I stopped). At no point in my life did I ever view Borges as being particularly skilled at his job.

As I said, saying he's a highly talented writer is debatable. I, for one, think his writing is generic sports hack stuff. I won't be alone in this.

Oh, look, he said some kickoffs landed in Oklahoma! Wow!

It's not about amusing turns of phrase, it's about structuring and crafting a story from top to bottom. (A formula "report card" piece doesn't really require it.)

Borges can do it, Jackie MacMullan can do it, but it's becoming a rare art.

It's not about amusing turns of phrase, it's about structuring and crafting a story from top to bottom. (A formula "report card" piece doesn't really require it.)

Borges can do it, Jackie MacMullan can do it, but it's becoming a rare art.
I respectfully disagree, as I think that's a pretty low bar for one to be called a highly talented writer. Our first fight!

his opinions from watching a specific football game are far more worthwhile than some of the young'uns writing for his former employer, alas.

But not as good as his current colleagues'. By that I mainly mean Howe, although if I had to pick between Buckley and Borges I'd lean to Buckley as the lesser evil.

I respectfully disagree, as I think that's a pretty low bar for one to be called a highly talented writer. Our first fight!

He still turns a phrase consistently well.

I've never seen that from him.

Ta-nehisi Coates is a great writer.
Matt Taibbi (even when he shark jumps) is a talented writer.

Borges seems rather meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST