PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bold Statement: 2014 receiving corps is the best in franchise history

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was catching passes from Eli, kiddo.

No, Eli didn't beat Tom in those SBs. Tyree and Manningham did with circus catches.
Who you calling kiddo son? The way you post you must have started following this team a few years ago

Stop embarrassing yourself and learn before you post.

Victor Cruz LOL

The problem for some people here is it appears they're confusing Denver Broncos Wes Welker with New England Patriots Wes Welker.
This is just comedy at this point. Talk about doubling down on something crazy.

Who you calling kiddo son? The way you post you must have started following this team a few years ago

Stop embarrassing yourself and learn before you post.

Victor Cruz LOL

The way you post you sound like you dropped out of high school and flip burgers for a living. But you don't see me bagging on your lack of intelligence.

You're a fan of gaudy regular season stats. I get it. You're probably also a closet Peyton Manning fan. I on the other hand prefer postseason output. Which is part of the reason why I would choose the 2014 receiving corps over 2007.

Here's a challenge for you. Go look back through the postseason history of this franchise. Find one season in which the playoff offensive output has matched the one in 2014. And then let this sink in: we faced two very good defenses this postseason without much help from the run game.

The way you post you sound like you dropped out of high school and flip burgers for a living. But you don't see me bagging on your lack of intelligence.

You're a fan of gaudy regular season stats. I get it. You're probably also a closet Peyton Manning fan. I on the other hand prefer postseason output. Which is part of the reason why I would choose the 2014 receiving corps over 2007.

Here's a challenge for you. Go look back through the postseason history of this franchise. Find one season in which the playoff offensive output has matched the one in 2014. And then let this sink in: we faced two very good defenses this postseason without much help from the run game.

The way I post? Look what you wrote. Go back and look at it. Everyone here is laughing. What Deus wrote about you is all that needs to be said?

Bagging on my lack of intelligence? Feel free to when I post as much stupidity as you. And trust me, it was stupidity. You dont want to learn or discuss, you want to claim and then go full ****** when challenged.

Hey! That is you. You are probably never wrong and your ego wont allow you to admit you may have been.

I sound like a football genius compared to you in this thread.

KIDDO

Last edited:
The way I post? Look what you wrote. Go back and look at it. Everyone here is laughing. What Deus wrote about you is all that needs to be said?

Bagging on my lack of intelligence? Feel free to when I post as much stupidity as you. And trust me, it was stupidity. You dont want to learn or discuss, you want to claim and then go full ****** when challenged.

Hey! That is you. You are probably never wrong and your ego wont allow you to admit you may have been.

I sound look a football genius compared to you in this thread.

KIDDO

I'll discuss if you have something worthwhile to say. There are posters who have made legitimate points to support their stance. You are not one of them, as you lack the intelligence to do so and you do not appear to be very articulate either.

You don't sound like a genius of any kind. Posting "LOL" and "LMAO" like a 12 year old girl would suggest the opposite.

Try again, sweetie.

I'll discuss if you have something worthwhile to say. There are posters who have made legitimate points to support their stance. You are not one of them, as you lack the intelligence to do so and you do not appear to be very articulate either.

You don't sound like a genius of any kind. Posting "LOL" and "LMAO" like a 12 year old girl would suggest the opposite.

Try again, sweetie.

Sweetie? I kinda sensed that about you given your JE ranking. I know you dig him. Come out of the closet...its ok. Just admit it already lol I am not interested.

The problem is you haven't made a legitimate point in your own thread. Its just all terrible.

I was at least smart enough to know that Cruz's best season was not as good as WW's best. And of course that JE and Cobb are not in any conversation for "GOAT" anything. You questioning my intelligence is ironic.

But please continue...its entertaining.

Last edited:
Wes Welker was incredible at what he did. First receiver with 3 110+receptions and also first with 5 100 catch seasons. How easy some forget how good this cat really was for New England. Figured with the Super Bowl win last week some could forgive his 2 drops. Apparently not.

Edelman is on the right track but he has got a long way to go before he is in Welker's stratosphere. Pro bowl 08,09,10,11,12.

Wes Welker was incredible at what he did. First receiver with 3 110+receptions and also first with 5 100 catch seasons. How easy some forget how good this cat really was for New England. Figured with the Super Bowl win last week some could forgive his 2 drops. Apparently not.

Edelman is on the right track but he has got a long way to go before he is in Welker's stratosphere. Pro bowl 08,09,10,11,12.

Yep!

He was catching passes from Eli, kiddo.

Cruz doesn't deserve any additional consideration because Eli was throwing him the ball. Granted, Eli makes some bad plays but he can get the ball out there as well as anyone. Has has the skill to execute all the throws. We're not talking about Matt Cassel here. Eli is a 10+ yr nfl starter, 40,000 yds, 260 tds, 2 time super bowl winner. He's not Brady, but then again, no one is.

Another problem is people want to compare Welker and Edelman despite the fact that they play dissimilar games. Playing in the slot doesn't mean you play the same as your predecessor. Same type of role = different players with different strengths.

To me, Welker's work inside the hashmarks makes him the superior slot receiver but Minitron's ability to work outside the hashmarks and run with the football provides the Patriots with more flexibility than what Welker offered.

People don't need to denigrate one to like the other. If someone asked me who I preferred, the answer would be Edelman because he's slightly taller, a tad quicker and a little more explosive than Welker ever was. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want Welker at his best because he was a beast.

Different era, so harder to compare, but no love for Stanley Morgan / Harold Jackson / Russ Francis?

Sweetie? I kinda sensed that about you given your JE ranking. I know you dig him. Come out of the closet...its ok. Just admit it already lol I am not interested lol

The problem is you haven't made a legitimate point in your own thread. Its just all terrible.

I was at least smart enough to know that Cruz's best season was not as good as WW best. And of course that JE and Cobb and not in any conversation for GOAT anything. You questioning my intelligence is ironic.

But please continue...its entertaining.

I'll go back and look at regular season games against top defenses for both years, but for now here is the postseason production:

2007 Postseason
228 passing yards per game
22 points scored per game

2014 Postseason
316 passing yards per game
36 points scored per game

In 2014 our offense was almost entirely dependent on the passing game in the postseason against two very good defenses (and Indy.) Seattle's defense was better than NYG's overall and Baltimore presented some of the same problems, though obviously the Giants Dline was better.

3 games is a small sample size but the difference in output is large.

A more interesting and in depth analysis would be to perform a regression analysis and see what the expected outcome would have been based on each regular season and see how they outperformed or underperformed in each year in the postseason. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Oh, and Edelman is more athletic and versatile than Welker. I'd take him over Welker in a heart beat. More clutch too.

Last edited:
Maybe you should start with arguing that the 2014 receiving corps had a better postseason than 2007. You might have a shot there.

I'll go back and look at regular season games against top defenses for both years, but for now here is the postseason production:

2007 Postseason
295 passing yards per game
22 points scored per game

2014 Postseason
316 passing yards per game
36 points scored per game

In 2014 our offense was almost entirely dependent on the passing game in the postseason against two very good defenses (and Indy.) Seattle's defense was better than NYG's overall and Baltimore presented some of the same problems, though obviously the Giants Dline was better.

3 games is a small sample size but the difference in output is large.

A more interesting and in depth analysis would be to perform a regression analysis and see what the expected outcome would have been based on each regular season and see how they outperformed or underperformed in each year in the postseason. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Oh, and Edelman is more athletic and versatile than Welker. I'd take him over Welker in a heart beat. More clutch too.
Thank you for at least bringing some more data here. All good. But the 2007 team had a running game so that made for less of a passing game. It also looks like you are only comparing the postseason performance of the two squads. Which would be a different discussion.

WW is pretty clutch. HE had a much tougher catch to make in 2011 than JE did. He made a ton more clutch catches than JE has for the pats. Nothing wrong with JE and his better versatility (he is more versatile than moss too) but as posted earlier he has a while to go before he is in the same discussions as WW for overall career.

Regardless, My comment about WW being the GOAT slot receiver stands. I am waiting for someone to tell me who was better in their career.

Also, if no Tyree catch and butler dosent come up with that huge play off a huge Seattle blunder are we even having this conversation?

I still dont get the WW isnt as clutch as _________ The guy was probably the most clutch player I have ever seen next to Brady and Brown. Game after game, year after year, coming up with clutch 3rd down conversions when the other team KNEW TB was going to him and he knew he was going to get lit up.. If that longevity of production and fearlessness isnt clutch, I dont know what is.

I will never understand why people forget this. And I would take Brown over JE at this point. Guy WAS Mr Clutch. JE is great but not there yet. And I am a huge JE fan!

I will agree in a sense. I think this is the best in terms of what it takes to win a SB. That to me means having good players get open fast so any pass rush is nullified. A true down field threat be nice of course but is often over stated as the really good Ds will not let you get cheap points like that often.

I think the 07 Pats O (which had more talent but was build differently) would not have faired as well in this run as they were dependent on the OL to give Brady enough time to get down field. This offense was better in the short and intermediate game which is more consistent against good Ds so by that logic i think it was the best.

Another problem is people want to compare Welker and Edelman despite the fact that they play dissimilar games. Playing in the slot doesn't mean you play the same as your predecessor. Same type of role = different players with different strengths.

To me, Welker's work inside the hashmarks makes him the superior slot receiver but Minitron's ability to work outside the hashmarks and run with the football provides the Patriots with more flexibility than what Welker offered.

People don't need to denigrate one to like the other. If someone asked me who I preferred, the answer would be Edelman because he's slightly taller, a tad quicker and a little more explosive than Welker ever was. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want Welker at his best because he was a beast.

100 percent agree. I'll take Welker over the middle of the field every time and vise versa with Edelman working on the the outside.

You may very well be right regarding Edleman's versatility being stronger in the overall game. As you mentioned they really are different receivers so it is apples and oranges sort of. And yes,cI agree there is no reason to shame either. They have both been pretty special Patriots indeed.

The biggest thing I'll say is that this was a clutch receiving corps. Definitely not the most talented or "best ever" IMO.

But man, we converted some huge passing 3rd downs, I don't ever remember a season where I felt so confident about picking up 3rd and 15. It was nuts this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back