PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Ryan agrees Favre most overrated QB in history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone that used to tout Marino as the best now HAS to tout Favre as the best...He was just more accessable to the media, more of an everyday guy. Marino was a *$(#head, and everyone around him knew it. Everyone touting him is the type that likes their mates REAL STUPID...you know--dumb blonde for guys, athletic DORK for girls. This is a product of middle america, those of us on a coast should let it blow over...

Apparently, Bob Ryan is as clueless as some others are. Favre will always be a top 10 QB all-time in NFL history. If Favre had been the Pats QB this year they win the Super Bowl.

I'm new here and a Colts fan to boot. I don't know if you're serious or not but I do think that if Favre would have been your QB in the SB, he would have thrown multiple interceptions under the kind of pressure Brady was under. No comparison with those 2 QB's.
I wholeheartedly agree with Ryan's article!

Please, Bob Ryan writes for the Globe, a homer for sure. The rest of the U.S. reads this, sees it is written by a Boston writer and simply shakes their heads. I am a big Brady fan, but this article is not only stupid, it is wrong. People wonder why other fans hate the Pats, it's guys like bob Ryan that make it very easy for them. Once again, the Globe tries to make the case that the Pats are superior by knocking down others. After the last two seasons one would think they had learned their lesson.
You're a freakin idiot JanBrady - go back to remedial reading school u shortbus! Most people in this thread agree with Bob Ryan - Favre is a sure HOFamer / one of the top 20 of all time probably...But he is / was not the best or top ten. Yet also, lots of writers agree that he was a tough slinger but not much on playing to what the defense shows you ....just taking one example - game on the line in OT, Favre slings it out there on his 1st pass blindly & gets picked! And it was a terrible pass - he didn't even look at the coverage! He did that a lot in the playoffs in recent years (against Eagles in 2003 for example). Since his SB win in 97, he's been awful in the playoffs for that same tough guy reason - goes down slinging like John stupid Wayne (see Sal Paolantonio's article)! Brady's OL played much worst against NYG pass rush than Favre's OL yet Brady did not throw a INT did he?!? i would NEVER take Favre over Brady these last 7 years!! Sh*thead...

I'm new here and a Colts fan to boot. I don't know if you're serious or not but I do think that if Favre would have been your QB in the SB, he would have thrown multiple interceptions under the kind of pressure Brady was under. No comparison with those 2 QB's.
I wholeheartedly agree with Ryan's article!

Welcome to the boards, and thanks for the agreement. For what it's worth, your quarterback is better than Favre ever was too.

When you have the most attempts in NFL history it's not as hard to have the most yards/TDs.

Also All-Time Interception Leader doesn't exactly scream greatness to me...

When you have the most attempts in NFL history it's not as hard to have the most yards/TDs.

Also All-Time Interception Leader doesn't exactly scream greatness to me...

or INTs! He seemed to throw a lot of them!

Please, Bob Ryan writes for the Globe, a homer for sure. The rest of the U.S. reads this, sees it is written by a Boston writer and simply shakes their heads. I am a big Brady fan, but this article is not only stupid, it is wrong. People wonder why other fans hate the Pats, it's guys like bob Ryan that make it very easy for them. Once again, the Globe tries to make the case that the Pats are superior by knocking down others. After the last two seasons one would think they had learned their lesson.

You are once again wrong. The rest of the US does not disagree. Favre is hardly in the top 5 qbs of all time and the general consensus outside of Wisconsin thinks this way. I live outside of the NE area and I have NEVER heard Favre's name thrown into a debate of GOAT qbs. The majority are NOT putting Brett Favre in the top 5, let alone top 10 qbs of all time. There's a lot of respect for what he's done, with longevity and his playfulness with the game, but as far as GOAT qbs you are the one proving to be an opposing team's homer with you sophomoric arguments.

PS Please stop trying to disguise yourself as a big Brady fan. A big Brady fan would know Brady only has one kid out of wedlock, not two. This is very significant when you try to make kids out of wedlock your basis for why IYO Brady is not as well liked as Manning, and his values aren't up to par with most of America. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Favre is the most popular gunslinger in NFL history.

That is not a good thing either.

Mr. interception can leave the BS stage now.

Go back to the swamps where you came from.

With that logic, Fran Tarkenton is in the top 5 and Drew Bledsoe is in the top 13.

Fran Tarkenton was the frist QB to put up big numbers he was one of the best of hes time he is a top 10 QB and if Bledsoe got one ring as a starter he would be a HOF QB

Last edited:
he never missed a game and holds every record there is hes top 5 all time QB
Including the ones his asskissers never mention - most INTs ever. He is also #1 in attempts. Listen, nobody is saying he was not a great quarterback - all people are saying is that he wasn't one of the top five ever.

Let's put it another way - Vinnie Testaverde is #6 all-time in passing yards. Drew Bledsoe is #7. Does that make them the 6th and 7th best quarterbacks ever? (If you answer yes, I won't waste my time arguing any more.)

A lot of things go into racking up yards and TDs - you have to be pretty good, of course, but you also have to play in a throwing offense and you have to play for a long time. IMHO the most impressive stat Mr. Favre accumulated was the consecutive games streak. Given that and the fact that he played pretty well for 17 years, naturally he is going to end up with big passing numbers - both positive and negative.

To me, you rate a quarterback by not only their numbers, but also by the ratios of their numbers - things like TD/INT ratio - and most of all by their play on the biggest stages and in the most intense pressure situations. Bret does well there, but not top five all time well.

That to me summarizes Favre's problem. When someone kicked him in the azz, he played within the system. Once the Walrus left, Favre began tossing interceptions at a staggering clip. In the Atlanta game a few years ago, Favre was was so bad it defied belief.

Without Holmgren to provide structure, Farve became less disciplined and more good ol' boy gunslinger, and therefore less effective.
IOW, he became what another good ol' boy gunslinger, Terry Bradshaw, would have become had he not had Chuck Noll to tell him what to do, and what not to do, at all times.

IMHO, Farve is barely a top-20 all-time QB, but a first-ballot HOFer based almost exclusively on the mountain of career statistics accumulated because of his tremendous durability and toughness, his 2 best attributes.

A top-5, or even top-10 all-timer? That is laughable.

He has great #'s that can't be denied, And he is a first ballot HOFer without a question,
But somehow, I agree that he's overrated.
But what he really is, is overloved.

Last edited:
Favre threw 2 TDs and put 20 points on the scoreboard in frigid temperatures. Brady only threw 1 TD and put up only 14 points in perfect weather conditions with Randy Moss. Brady is a great QB, but Favre is still the better QB at this point. Later on Brady might prove to be the better QB, but give Favre the same Patriot teams that Brady has been on and he wins the last two Super Bowls. This is no knock on Brady as Favre is one of the greeats alongside Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas, Dan Marino, Joe Montana & John Elway. Marino never won a Super Bowl, but then he never had the teams Brady had. This still leaves Brady in the top ten.

No way would I have wanted any other QB than Tom Brady. The three superbowl rings speak for themselves. In the SB, Brady was not to blame, the offensive line just decided not to show up, and I doubt Favre or any other QB would have done any better with the protection that Brady got in the SB.

I have nothing against Brett Favre, but Brady has been clutch when the team needed him the most. I don't think Favre is in the top 5, but I would put him in the top 10. The things I admire most about Favre is his ability to play at a high level consistently, but I don't think he is in the top 5.

Agree that Brett Favre was significantly overrated, but most overrated in history is probably a stretch.

Apparently, Bob Ryan is as clueless as some others are. Favre will always be a top 10 QB all-time in NFL history. If Favre had been the Pats QB this year they win the Super Bowl.

Jan, it looks like you haven't been wearing your glasses again!

I couldn't disagree more. First, the title of the post is a bit misleading. Ryan doesn't state the he feels Favre is the most overrated QB in history. He simply states that he wasn't in the top 5 and probably doesn't belomg in the top 10. Favre was a great leader of men playing America's game. Had he been a Patriot, we would all be crying in our beer over his retirement. Did he define mental toughness? Yes. Did this inspire and help to lead his teammates? Yes. Did he drive his team to victory many, many times because of his ability to lead? Yes. Did he put team first? Every time he stepped on the field.

Don't disount his accomplishments because of the circus the media created over his pending retirement the last few years, or because he threw some of the craziest interceptions. Give the guy his due. He was a very good quarterback that had the uncanny ability to be a leader in the highest regard in the best team sport in the world. He respected the game for all it is worth. He deserves all of our respect.

Favre is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being in the top 5.....For one thing they play in a VERY weak division...The Lions? The vikes? ...yeah chicago has been a test the past few years.....but sheesh.....Anyways, Brady and Manning will someday move into the top 5 positions.....of course I think that Brady is clearly the greatest of all time already !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3