PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount Re-Signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people somehow think that NE is going to morph into a run-first team then take a look at our TEs and receivers. Blount is adequate. He's not adrian peterson, but we don't need adrian peterson.

If people somehow think that NE is going to morph into a run-first team then take a look at our TEs and receivers. Blount is adequate. He's not adrian peterson, but we don't need adrian peterson.

I have yet to see anyone suggest they will become a "run first" team. What most are saying it's that they need a run game that can stretch defenses horizontally and back off edge rushers as well as one that can help close out games. A true two TE offense will help immensely as opposing defenses will have to face an OL with bookend 6'6 270 lb. TEs who are both big time receiving options, and if they line up to stop the pass the Patriots will run right at them, and if they line up to stop the run they will throw all over them. If the Patriots can pull a good young RB out of this draft its going to be really realty tough to slow this offense down, and they will have the depth at RB to go the distance and should not run into the problem they ran into last season where they had absolutely no run game in the playoffs.

I have yet to see anyone suggest they will become a "run first" team. What most are saying it's that they need a run game that can stretch defenses horizontally and back off edge rushers as well as one that can help close out games. A true two TE offense will help immensely as opposing defenses will have to face an OL with bookend 6'6 270 lb. TEs who are both big time receiving options, and if they line up to stop the pass the Patriots will run right at them, and if they line up to stop the run they will throw all over them. If the Patriots can pull a good young RB out of this draft its going to be really realty tough to slow this offense down, and they will have the depth at RB to go the distance and should not run into the problem they ran into last season where they had absolutely no run game in the playoffs.

It just seemed like people here want another adrian peterson who will carry the offense.

And yes, i agree they struggled running the ball in the playoffs without blount and lewis.

It just seemed like people here want another adrian peterson who will carry the offense.

And yes, i agree they struggled running the ball in the playoffs without blount and lewis.
I could go for another Adrian Peterson.

While I would take another AP, that's not what they need. They need someone in the draft that can move the pile on first and second down and that's about it.

Yeah, boy, wouldn't it be nice to have Hall of Famers at every position? Sadly, it's probably not going to happen.

Blount will be fine, as long as Dante's crew makes sure he's not hit behind the line on every play.

Last edited:
While I would take another AP, that's not what they need. They need someone in the draft that can move the pile on first and second down and that's about it.

They could probably get away with less than that. All they really need is the threat of a run and they can get some mileage out of the play action pass. The exception of course being games like the Miami game at the end of last year when they ran the ball on 3rd and long every time at the beginning of the game. What the heck was that about?

I think they need more than that. I think they need a first down back who can run inside and out as well as contribute in the passing game. The problem for the Patriots isn't running the ball against bad teams it's running it against the good ones and They have to be able to make them run sideline to sideline to do that. Just lining up and running it into the line won't work against the best teams, and the defenses in the AFCE have some of the best D Lines in football and it all starts by beating them. Brady gives them a big advantage but it's time they gave him some balance, if they do their offense will be close to unstoppable, if they don't they will end up in the same situation they were in during the playoffs last season.

I think they need more than that. I think they need a first down back who can run inside and out as well as contribute in the passing game. The problem for the Patriots isn't running the ball against bad teams it's running it against the good ones and They have to be able to make them run sideline to sideline to do that. Just lining up and running it into the line won't work against the best teams, and the defenses in the AFCE have some of the best D Lines in football and it all starts by beating them. Brady gives them a big advantage but it's time they gave him some balance, if they do their offense will be close to unstoppable, if they don't they will end up in the same situation they were in during the playoffs last season.

That was a typo by me. "Pile" was supposed to mean "chains". In terms of skill set, the Patriots could use something like what Ridley was giving them in 2012. A guy that can break long gains when given the chance to do so by the opposing defense, but can mainly get to the second level quickly and pick up first downs of his own. Blount can spell that guy and Lewis is the ultimate weapon in the flats.

I could go for another Adrian Peterson.

Not sure BB could deal with his carlessness with the football.

He would have exploded with that way he was carring the ball like a loaf of bread during the closing minutes vs SEA.

I don't know why we don't invest fully in a quality RB normally. The offense was awesome with an aged but still very good Cory Dillon. Imagine the dynamics of a Pats team with an Adrian Peterson or Steven Jackson in their prime years!?! Head scratcher for me......

You'd be crazy not to want another AdP.

That was a typo by me. "Pile" was supposed to mean "chains". In terms of skill set, the Patriots could use something like what Ridley was giving them in 2012. A guy that can break long gains when given the chance to do so by the opposing defense, but can mainly get to the second level quickly and pick up first downs of his own. Blount can spell that guy and Lewis is the ultimate weapon in the flats.

Agree completely. Add a guy like Ridley at his best and they will be set.

I don't know why we don't invest fully in a quality RB normally. The offense was awesome with an aged but still very good Cory Dillon. Imagine the dynamics of a Pats team with an Adrian Peterson or Steven Jackson in their prime years!?! Head scratcher for me......
I guess you would prefer to spend $5-$10M a year on a RB instead of allocating cap money as Belichick does.

In the end, it is a choice of how to allocate resources (cash, cap, and draft choices).

Because it's a crapshoot of a 1st round pick to get an Adrian Peterson or Steven Jackson, and the offense was incredible last year with Dion Lewis holding down the fort as the main back. The main issue at running back right now is that Lewis, who was easily a top-10 running back in the first half of last season, is built small and hasn't managed to play an entire season his whole career. The issue not that the talent per se isn't there to give them a plus running back.

Lewis is almost certainly going to be the best running back on the team this season, but you want to use Lewis like similar players in Darren Sproles or, more to the point for the Patriots, Danny Woodhead have been used throughout their careers. Blount only had 20 or more carries in two games last season. Lewis is going to get some of the carries too, but you preferably want someone who's an upgrade over Bolden (who's below replacement level as a runner) or White (who's putrid as a runner) to be available to play for a drive or two each game.

It's almost inevitable that a running back will get hurt, too, so having someone to step up in case one of the main guys goes down is really important, because you don't want to end up in a situation like last year where you're calling up a 33 year old because your only other running backs are a special teamer and a pure receiving back.

I guess you would prefer to spend $5-$10M a year on a RB instead of allocating cap money as Belichick does.

In the end, it is a choice of how to allocate resources (cash, cap, and draft choices).

I hear you load and clear. It's a fair and valid point..... I just want to win a few more SB's before we go looking for the next Tom Brady...... I'm selfish in my old age!!

I would be fine with spending 5 million inn a starting back, it's still way below what the top backs get and you could get a really good back at that price. I wouldn't want them spending 10+ unless it was Gurley or Peterson.

Not sure BB could deal with his carlessness with the football.

He would have exploded with that way he was carring the ball like a loaf of bread during the closing minutes vs SEA.
I could really go for another Adrian Peterson especially one that never fumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back