PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills took advantage of Joe Philbin Brain Freeze in Buffalo

Five wide, empty backfield

Four wide + Vereen

Oh God.

1) THAT'S what McDaniels decided to do in the suicidal Dolphins game they blew when he somehow had Brady throwing 55 times against a D (not unlike the Bills - who BTW lead the NFL in sacks) with a great pass rush and mediocre run defense. 55-24 Pass to run ratio that day.

2) The following week, either a) McDaniels woke up from his stupor or b) someone slapped him upside the head because the Pats had a 26-36 Pass to run ratio and they clobbered a better defensive team.

3) In post #11, goheels22002 already illustrated how a less than mediocre team blasted the Bills this season by staying away from the Bills D strength and pounding their weakness.

4) That second stupid Miami game offensive plan MAY HAVE woken McDaniels up to the fact that our 2 TE's are now named Hoomanawanui and Mulligan.

5) Vereen pulled his groin last week. Of the 5 RB's, you chose to highlight the one who is currently hurt (and Reiss projects as possibly inactive today).

6) Even if Vereen IS active today, you want to use him heavily on a wet field one week after pulling his groin? I guess he's not really very important for the playoffs, then.

Could your scenario happen? Sure it could. But it would be unnecessarily playing with fire.

Last edited:
I'd rather see them win the game by knocking Buffalo out early. Teams with nothing to play for tend to fold if they get down quickly, but they often fight to the end if they can keep it close.

I agree on knocking them out early. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 9-play, 4 minute and 32 second opening drive of all rushing plays to go up 7-0 just like the last drive of the Ravens game to knock the smile off their smug little pass-rushing faces.

That's what I'm leaning towards--more balance like last week, with a point made to effectively rush the ball.

Of course gameplans change too, especially adjustments based on what the defense is giving you, so all of our "expert" analysis may be out the window due to factors that we may not be able to predict. If you're simply speaking of a gameplan to go into tomorrow afternoon with right off the bat, I would have it much like what we've done lately in terms of the quicker release/shorter field passes from Brady, but I'd have a strong focus on attempting to run the ball too.

It may not only benefit this particular game, but it's good to see that aspect of the offense clicking in general during this time of the season.

Run pass ratio is more a result of the score of the game than the game plan. The last 2 weeks illustrates that really well.

I see it differently. I think the advantage goes to the offense in slippery conditions, it negates a pass rush and gives the receivers a big edge. Brady excels in these situations, big advantage to the Patriots imo. A clean field would make their pass rush a much bigger deal, mudding slows them down big time.

Agree completely regarding slippery conditions. We've seen Brady exploit slippery time after time.

My concern however was that a heavy rain stifles passing (remember Cincinnati?) and a moderate rain makes the long pass not just more inaccurate but very susceptible to a pick. As a result, a D can gamble that the long pass is pretty much out and bunch up to defend the run and the short passing game.

Run pass ratio is more a result of the score of the game than the game plan. The last 2 weeks illustrates that really well.

That's not borne out by the facts.

Pats 1Q Miami: 60% Pass-to-run
Pats 1Q Baltimore: 45% Pass-to-run (in fact, that p-r ratio of 45% in the 1st quarter is only slightly higher than the 42% ratio it was for the entire game). Even with a decent lead, they never went one dimensional.

Last edited:
I agree on knocking them out early. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 9-play, 4 minute and 32 second opening drive of all rushing plays to go up 7-0 just like the last drive of the Ravens game to knock the smile off their smug little pass-rushing faces.

Exactly.

Their pass rush is #1 in the NFL. Their run defense is mediocre.

If you want an early lead, attack their weakness (and keep TFB and Vereen healthy for the playoffs). BTW, no season starting RT or LT for the Pats today against the NFL Leading Team Sack Squad = PLEASE DON'T KILL TFB!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh God.

1) THAT'S what McDaniels decided to do in the suicidal Dolphins game they blew when he somehow had Brady throwing 55 times against a D (not unlike the Bills - who BTW lead the NFL in sacks) with a great pass rush and mediocre run defense. 55-24 Pass to run ratio that day.

2) The following week, either a) McDaniels woke up from his stupor or b) someone slapped him upside the head because the Pats had a 26-36 Pass to run ratio and they clobbered a better defensive team.

3) In post #11, goheels22002 already illustrated how a less than mediocre team blasted the Bills this season by staying away from the Bills D strength and pounding their weakness.

4) That second stupid Miami game offensive plan MAY HAVE woken McDaniels up to the fact that our 2 TE's are now named Hoomanawanui and Mulligan.

5) Vereen pulled his groin last week. Of the 5 RB's, you chose to highlight the one who is currently hurt (and Reiss projects as possibly inactive today).

6) Even if Vereen IS active today, you want to use him heavily on a wet field one week after pulling his groin? I guess he's not really very important for the playoffs, then.

Could your scenario happen? Sure it could. But it would be unnecessarily playing with fire.

Now putting the ball in Brady's hands, instead of this team's inconsistent running game, is playing with fire?

Gotta love this place....:bricks:

Now putting the ball in Brady's hands, instead of this team's inconsistent running game, is playing with fire?

Today it was.

Today it was.

Oh, no question about that today.

i was at the game and late in second quarter the rain really came with a bit of wind from the tunnel side.

so passing in this game was not a good idea at all especially when our WR with known drop issues.

Now THAT is entertainment!!!

Brady throws only 24 times and the Pats run for most yardage in any of their games this year.

NE-34 Buff -20

Great call! :D

Last edited:
No, it wasn't.

Thank you for that! You writing those 3 words after what everyone saw yesterday HAD to be schtick. Good comedy!

The Patriots threw only 7 times in the 2nd half.

It's always great entertainment when someone comes out and claims that the earth really IS flat. :D

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back