Bill Simmons shows Mort how its done

Status
Not open for further replies.

raduray

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bill Simmons@BillSimmons
I always thought that, if a potentially damaging report turned out to be completely 100% wrong, then it had ... tmi.me/1f7rIf

Bill Simmons@BillSimmons
Here, I will give you an example. Sources tell me that @rembert is the father of Kim Kardashian's second baby.

Bill Simmons@BillSimmons
My bad. It turns out that @rembert is NOT the father of Kim Kardashian's second baby. I retract the report and I have deleted the tweet.

I sure hope to see his full on take on Deflategate when he finally goes on HBO. That will be must see TV.

LOL!!! I love you Simmons...

Awful Announcing@awfulannouncing
Bill Simmons might still be the most powerful person at ESPN. Chris Mortensen just now deleted his DeflateGate tweet.
Fauria on WEEI said he had a phone call with Mort (at about 11 AM) where he advised Mort to take down the tweet. Literally within 5 minutes of him telling the radio audience of this call, the tweet was deleted.

I am sure it was a combination of things and not just Fauria but those took place at virtually the exact same time.

Well played sir

Fauria on WEEI said he had a phone call with Mort (at about 11 AM) where he advised Mort to take down the tweet. Literally within 5 minutes of him telling the radio audience of this call, the tweet was deleted.

I am sure it was a combination of things and not just Fauria but those took place at virtually the exact same time.
who knew Fauria was so powerful? Maybe he promised Mort some of that Find Mass Money!

I hope Simmons uses his inside knowledge to SLAM ESPN. I really do.
As part of his separation agreement he may have a defamation cause.

As part of his separation agreement he may have a defamation cause.
I am not asking him to defame anybody. I just want the truth out there.

Also, if I understand it correctly, his contract simply expired and was not renewed. (Actually it hasn't expired yet; it expires at the end of September and ESPN is paying him through to the end of that month and he may not work for anyone else in the interim). Once we hit October, I do not think he has any obligations to or agreements with ESPN at all.

I am not asking him to defame anybody. I just want the truth out there.

Also, if I understand it correctly, his contract simply expired and was not renewed. (Actually it hasn't expired yet; it expires at the end of September and ESPN is paying him through to the end of that month and he may not work for anyone else in the interim). Once we hit October, I do not think he has any obligations to or agreements with ESPN at all.
Ugh....brain flatulation...I meant confidentiality agreement.

Correct- depends on the length of his agreement. If it expires at the end of the month then there is no reason why he can't fire away. The question is...by doing so does that turn off prospective employers?

Bill Simmons is real. He says it like it is

Ah, yes. I definitely agree with you there.
Correct- depends on the length of his agreement. If it expires at the end of the month then there is no reason why he can't fire away. The question is...by doing so does that turn off prospective employers?
He will be starting up with HBO next year. I think that station is a wild card. They have an agreement with the NFL to produce the show Hard Knocks, but they certainly don't seem afraid of ruffling NFL feathers based on their actions with that new show Ballers.

The NFL has no leverage over HBO like they do over ESPN. I think if the NFL yanked Hard Knocks, it would be little more than a speed bump for the Director of Programming. HBO would probably be more afraid of pissing off George RR Martin than Roger Goodell. :D

Ah, yes. I definitely agree with you there.
He will be starting up with HBO next year. I think that station is a wild card. They have an agreement with the NFL to produce the show Hard Knocks, but they certainly don't seem afraid of ruffling NFL feathers based on their actions with that new show Ballers.
Agreed. I'd love to see him out that excuse for sports journalism.

"Outside the Lines" had some credibility until that hack Naqi ran that crap story with her husband's buddy Kensil ghostwriting it for her and now they are trash.

I don't think Simmons really has to care. Even if nobody would hire him, he could start a new Grantland with ease. There's lots of money in Silicon Valley that would love to back him.

I don't think Simmons really has to care. Even if nobody would hire him, he could start a new Grantland with ease. There's lots of money in Silicon Valley that would love to back him.

HBO Presents Bill Simmons in "the New Grantland".

Sponsored by Intel...."Processing speed powerful enough to delete a tweet in less than 4 months"

I have no idea, and do not care to know, who or what @rembert or Meek are.

I like that Simmons is a local dude, but his hip-hop celebrity-worship name-dropping is unbecoming.
And I'll never forget how he used to absolutely despise hockey before 2011.

I have no idea, and do not care to know, who or what @rembert or Meek are.

I like that Simmons is a local dude, but his hip-hop celebrity-worship name-dropping is unbecoming.
And I'll never forget how he used to absolutely despise hockey before 2011.

Rembert is Rembert Browne, his former employee at Grantland. Meek is currently enjoying his 15 minutes of fame feuding with Drake.

Pop culture references have been Simmons' calling card since the day he started writing. If that's a problem for you, then you're never going to like what he puts out. And FWIW he didn't absolutely despite hockey. He pretty much wrote it off in the same sense that a lot of us are prepared to write off the NFL if we get the worst possible outcome. Inept, cowardly owner + maliciously incompetent commissioner = a bad experience. And that's without even getting into Ulf Samuelsson pollarding Neely's hip, etc. I can't blame Simmons (or anyone else) for being left in a bitter place.

My biggest issue with Simmons is that he just doesn't really know much about football. Which would be fine, except that doesn't seem to acknowledge it. He's a fantastic basketball guy, and he and his buddies at Grantland are one of the main reasons why I've gone from being only a Celtics fan to an NBA fan whose favorite team is the Celtics. When he writes about other sports, I just make sure to regard him as a basketball guy who's writing about Sport Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes