PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest myth of this season - Pats have no running game

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we gained 9 yards on every 3rd rushing play, we would have the best running game ever.
There is not a team in the NFL that gets 3,4,5 yards every running play. IIRC, the last time I research it 50% of all running plays went for 2 yards of less.

(By the way, 2+9+'one for a loss' works out to 3.3 at best)

Do you agree that the Patriots had a better run game in '04 (dillion's first year)? This year the stats are the same (4.1 yds/carry). I can remember frequent running first downs and TD's in '04. This year something is missing, they just don't have that kind of "punch".

Why would the perception of many pats fans in '04 be there was a decent run game but in '07 the run game is lacking (even though they're statistically equivalent)? garbage time yards?

I think that because of our change in not running as much as we pass, since Morris went down, has made it more difficult for Brady to throw, as there is no play action pass like it was before, making the offense more predictable. I think thats one thing that has led to closer games lately.

sammy doesn't play d, and he went out 6 games ago, not 3.

I'd like to have sammy back, but people are worrying too much about this and reading too much into stats.

According to FootballOutsiders, Maroney is performing better than Addai this season on a per play basis, and on his ability to gain consistent yardage. Among lead running backs, he is #7 in production per play, ahead of Addai at #8. In success rate, Maroney is #2 among lead backs, Addai is #3. The impression Pats fans have of these two running backs is based on Addai's outstanding postseason performance last season, and his strong performance in the game vs the Pats this season. However, this does not reflect Addai's recent performance. Addai has been taking a beating and has not run well since the Patriot game. IMO Addai has peaked as a player. He is currently averging only 4.2 YPA for the season, and that figure has been plummeting. I think we will see these two rbs pass eachother in opposite directions going forward, as Maroney matures as a player and becomes a greater part of the Pats offense, while Addai struggles to regain his earlier form.

Do you agree that the Patriots had a better run game in '04 (dillion's first year)? This year the stats are the same (4.1 yds/carry). I can remember frequent running first downs and TD's in '04. This year something is missing, they just don't have that kind of "punch".

Why would the perception of many pats fans in '04 be there was a decent run game but in '07 the run game is lacking (even though they're statistically equivalent)? garbage time yards?

Dillon's first year our QB was no better than now and our receivers were far inferior. Defenses were relatively more oriented to stopping the run. Getting the same stats was an indication of higher quality than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST