PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 IDL/PTP Thread

Hopefully we have found a good OT in Onwenu , all we need to do if find a similar find for the DLine

Hopefully we have found a good OT in Onwenu , all we need to do if find a similar find for the DLine
He's a force if he stays healthy...Wherever he plays

@Bacon how Do you think about Jaylen Twyman?

I got to see Arizona state and usc today. The dt for Arizona state lolehad a nice game. He seemed very strong at the point of attack.

might be someone to keep an eye on down the road.

Jay tuffalo of usc is another dt that had a nice game. Definitely not a two gapper, and not very stout at the point of attack, but some 4-3 team will overdraft him.

Marvin Wilson out for the season..

The defensive tackle for nc state, akim something of another, is a guy to watch. He plays with decent leverage and can clog the line of scrimmage.

Alim McNeil ? ....BGC has him as tier 2 above , from some of the highlights etc he looks a handfull

Davis of Georgia
Shelvin of lsu
McNeil of no state

these are the only dt’s I have on my patriots board as of now.

Davis of Georgia
Shelvin of lsu
McNeil of no state

these are the only dt’s I have on my patriots board as of now.
I like Wilson from FSU a lot if he enters, but yeah I like Shelvin a lot too

Not a great DT class

I like Wilson from FSU a lot if he enters, but yeah I like Shelvin a lot too

Not a great DT class

fortunately there are a few free agents that bb could sign this offseason, if he does not want to use draft capital for this position.

fortunately there are a few free agents that bb could sign this offseason, if he does not want to use draft capital for this position.
Tomlinson from NYG would be an amazing fit as he enters his prime

@BaconGrundleCandy - The biggest problem that the Patriots defense had was not having IDL who could stop the run effectively. Neither Cowart nor Butler have the size needed. And it showed. Is there an IDL who is a 2-3 down guy that is worthy of where the Pats are picking in the 1st round? Or will they be better off taking a 3-Tech guy and looking to Free Agency to the role of 0-1 Tech?

Jordan Davis is a beast of a run defender. Same with shelvin of lsu.

@BaconGrundleCandy - The biggest problem that the Patriots defense had was not having IDL who could stop the run effectively. Neither Cowart nor Butler have the size needed. And it showed. Is there an IDL who is a 2-3 down guy that is worthy of where the Pats are picking in the 1st round? Or will they be better off taking a 3-Tech guy and looking to Free Agency to the role of 0-1 Tech?
In terms of 0/1 tech, real fattys, no. I doubt any of those guys go round one for a while unless they're on Vea's level. Guys that can really push a pocket, get after the QB and disrupt. Guys like Forrest Merrill, McNeill, and Khyiris Tonga fit that mold. OJ has brought up Jordan Davis 1000 times lol. He's useless on passing downs but could be a good run stopper. Slaton from Florida is like his poor man. Tonga has been a solid run defender for 2 years now. CJ Brewer, Coastal Carolina, is another undersized IDL that can disrupt and is solid against the run.

I'm leaning towards guys like Nixon, Stills brothers, Onwuzrike. Guys that are good sound run defenders but can move around a little. I feel like the league had been moving towards those smaller NT like a Brandon Mebane, Kenny Clark.

I think there's a role for the fattys but it's minimized bc of the way the game is played now. Even in the run game, there's so much stretch-zone stuff that makes those guys lives really difficult. We saw with Shelton at times. When the game is north/south those guys are valuable but the ball moves horizontal so much and most of those big boys struggle to keep up laterally.

In terms of 0/1 tech, real fattys, no. I doubt any of those guys go round one for a while unless they're on Vea's level. Guys that can really push a pocket, get after the QB and disrupt. Guys like Forrest Merrill, McNeill, and Khyiris Tonga fit that mold. OJ has brought up Jordan Davis 1000 times lol. He's useless on passing downs but could be a good run stopper. Slaton from Florida is like his poor man. Tonga has been a solid run defender for 2 years now. CJ Brewer, Coastal Carolina, is another undersized IDL that can disrupt and is solid against the run.

I'm leaning towards guys like Nixon, Stills brothers, Onwuzrike. Guys that are good sound run defenders but can move around a little. I feel like the league had been moving towards those smaller NT like a Brandon Mebane, Kenny Clark.

I think there's a role for the fattys but it's minimized bc of the way the game is played now. Even in the run game, there's so much stretch-zone stuff that makes those guys lives really difficult. We saw with Shelton at times. When the game is north/south those guys are valuable but the ball moves horizontal so much and most of those big boys struggle to keep up laterally.
Thank you for the response. My biggest concern on defense is the interior running game. That's where the Pats got eaten alive this year. It didn't help that neither guys like Simon and Wino didn't set the edge all that well, but the interior was a free for all. Even when Butler and Cowart were healthy, it took a guy like Carl Davis to settle things down.

I say some people mention Tomlinson as an option via Free Agency, but I didn't watch any Giants games to be able to say whether or not he's truly a viable option and whether or not he'd be an upgrade over Allen (if he ever gets out of the tub).

Would a combination of one of the guys you mentioned with Cowart really be able to stabilize that interior? Or is Cowart nothing but a poor man's back-up?

Jordan Davis decided to return for senior season.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back