PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Day 1 draft: Patriots and Vikings

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ourselves and the Vikes easily had the best day, Jones and Hightower while Vikings got Kalil and Smith who are both immediate starters.

Yeah, I thought Minny made two really good picks. Four teams made two picks...the Bengals got Kirkpatrick and Zeitler, not bad, and the Browns got Richardson and Weeden. Not a fan.

Yeah, I thought Minny made two really good picks. Four teams made two picks...the Bengals got Kirkpatrick and Zeitler, not bad, and the Browns got Richardson and Weeden. Not a fan.

Yeah i'd say Bengal had the 3rd best.

I read the Viks board and most didn't like there picks. They get 2 starters on a bad team on day one and just don't get it.

I'll say the Browns are winners simply for taking Richardson over Tannehill.

I thought the Browns blew it. They traded up a for a solid RB but # 3? Waste of picks and instead of a WR or a solid OL/DL they get a 28 yr old QB.

I like what the Rams did. They got a guy they really like in Brockers and have 3 early picks on day 2.

St. Louis Rams, they picked up Brockers, plus 2 seconds and 2 future firsts.

edit: beat me to it

Last edited:
Hard to argue with the Steelers. sat still and got the best player at a position of need.

I thought the Browns blew it. They traded up a for a solid RB but # 3? Waste of picks and instead of a WR or a solid OL/DL they get a 28 yr old QB.

Weeden's age has been talked about a lot and while I do think it is a factor, the NFL is a changed league. As much as analysts and fans like to use the old cliche that their team just drafted a guy that will be a cornerstone for the next decade, the truth is that all these 1st round picks will sign 4 year contracts. Beyond that, there is absolutely no guarantee that player will still be with you unless you franchise him.

Again, age is definitely part of the equation but in the end, teams should draft players that make them better and not worry about when the guy will have to retire.

Tampa did well too...

Tampa did well too...

I forgot about Tampa. Barron and D. Martin is a pretty solid duo. Wonder if they wish they'd have just stayed at 5 and taken Claiborne though.

Minnesota picked a tackle to protect a guy who's not going to be good enough in the NFL, and they then picked a 2nd or 3rd round safety in the first round. I don't really see how that's better than what several other teams did.

Minnesota picked a tackle to protect a guy who's not going to be good enough in the NFL, and they then picked a 2nd or 3rd round safety in the first round. I don't really see how that's better than what several other teams did.

Come on. You can't say drafting a LT is stupid because you don't like their QB. They still need to protect him. They certainly couldn't have upgraded the QB position with that pick.
I am no Ponder fan, but you can say forget about pass blocking because your QB is a question mark.
Smith could go either way. Not a big fan of the pick, but late firsts that some saw as 2nd round talent often do work out well.

The best overall pick was DeCastro to the Steelers. He just fell right into their laps. An amazing value pick to help their terrible O-line. I could not believe the Rams let that guy slip--for a DT!

From Pro Football Weekly a pick by pick review:
ProFootballWeekly.com - Pick-by-pick analysis: Round One

21 (21) New England Patriots (from Cincinnati): DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse
The Patriots sorely needed to add some pressure players, and Bill Belichick shrewdly dealt up to land a raw condor with rare length and explosive body power. Jones is very tough, humble and hardworking and once he develops his core strength and learns how to harness his raw power, he could emerge as a special talent at any position along the defensive line.

25 (25) New England Patriots (from Denver): LB Dont'a Hightower, AlabamaAfter aggressively dealing up to land Chandler Jones, Belichick jumped up two spots again to leapfrog the Texans and find another versatile, mismatch piece with wrecking-ball power. The two-time team captain can pair with Jerod Mayo to fortify the inside of the Patriots' defense. Having proven capable of rushing off the edge, Hightower can give the Patriots the ability to disguise their front and catch offenses off guard.

Come on. You can't say drafting a LT is stupid because you don't like their QB. They still need to protect him. They certainly couldn't have upgraded the QB position with that pick.
I am no Ponder fan, but you can say forget about pass blocking because your QB is a question mark.

That's not really what I'm saying, although it's part of it. What I'm saying is that a kid who needs all the weapons around him he can get would have been better served by the team drafting one of the elite receiving options. Getting the OT when you don't have the QB isn't generally the answer, as Jake Long, Ryan Clady et al can tell you.

Smith could go either way. Not a big fan of the pick, but late firsts that some saw as 2nd round talent often do work out well.

The O.P. was calling it the best day 1 draft, along with that of the Patriots. Overdrafting a player is not the way to win the "best draft" award during the week of that draft, even though it may work out brilliantly down the road. They got the extra picks, though, so that could certainly help moving forward.

Last edited:

I figure Browns knew someone else was willing to jump over them to get Richardson, so Browns pulled the trigger first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes