PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick interview with Armen Keteyian on CBS News [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB interview - 15 min version

The Patriots likely chose CBS for this interview for a few reasons.

1. Kraft's relationship with the station. They are building a facility at Patriot Place.

2. The fact that the Pats will be on CBS about 10 times this regular season. Kraft knows that this topic has the potential come up again and again throughout the season whenever the Pats play. This way, the majority of the time the Pats are on tv, the announcers can say, "in an interview with our Armen Katayan (sp), Bill Belichick said (x)." You can bet that bits and pieces will run throughout the season on pregame, post game, and in-game spots. Lastly, Armen is likely to be the sideline reporter during a host of Patriots games this year. This promotes good will between he and the franchise.

NBC villified the Patriots for their role in this, ESPN (and by extension, parent company ABC) have crucified BB. Neither of their nightly news shows were going to get a chance to do this. The only logical team left was the CBS news crew.

Right, I'm not saying that they made a bad choice. I'm just saying that you can't blame CBS for the presentation. 60 Minutes would have done a more thorough job if they cared. But not the Nightly News.

Any good reporter should be able to take those stated facts and show both sides of the story. Now with Long, Johnson and allegations the Jets did the same, any reporter with an ounce of integrity would delve further into this.

King hasn't proven me he has that integrity, in all honesty, his radio segments broadcast on EEI really sounds like a glorified gossip column.

Those aren't allegations, however. The Jets admitted to it. The NFL has already investigated this and announced to the press that the Jets did nothing wrong because they had permission. The Patriots deny that permission was ever given.

Re: Belichick interview with Armen Keteyian on CBS News tonight

Exactly, Walsh gave them the film that helped with the game plan - Belichek is trying to avoid the fact that he had Walsh doing something illegal.
I guess Bill Belichek can't read, because after two written warnings form the NFL, he still didn't stop the illegal filming. Your comments about the ability to read should be directed to Belichek, he is the one with the reading comprehension problem.
Did you actually watch the 15 minute full interview, or are you just being a typical whiner pretending to be a pats fan who watched a 30 second blurb and made a decision?

I am not tottaly convinced that godell destroyed the tapes to protect himself. He did not want it to get out that this was an overraction by him, he just wanted to show his power. the pats got WAY BEYOND SCREWED on this one.

What a sham this whole affair has been and the proof is right there for all to see in this video.

There just really isn't anything there to warrant all the cries of cheating - just not enough to warrant such a ****storm.

The amount of jealousy played out by hatred for BB and the organization, will never cease to amaze and astound me.

Even the fact that this 15 minute version wil remain a secret to most makes no sense - at least CBS could have said a link to full video is available on our website.

i meant to type "now tottaly convinced" insted of "not" but yeah that was low by cbs to air such a short segment after that whole thing. once again the media....well....i have no respect for the media and this is just another example of why.

Those aren't allegations, however. The Jets admitted to it. The NFL has already investigated this and announced to the press that the Jets did nothing wrong because they had permission. The Patriots deny that permission was ever given.

Permission the Ray Anderson memo doesn't allow for, either. All Bill was ever guilty of was being arrogant enough to do business as business is being done. And because he's a man among boys who was willing to take his punishment and not whine and complain in part because he knew the trade off was everyone else had to ixnay the cameras including those who were using their tapes in game. What he failed to anticipate was the ****storm his franchise would also have to endure, although that was eminanently survivable for an organization as well built as his. I think that revelation as an undefeated season unfolded flat out incensed his pre existing enemies, which is why Matt Walsh came into play courtesy of the NYT, ESPN and most significantly John Tomase and the Boston Herald.

Last edited:
Re: PFT is perplexed at BB's interview

Florio said:
If, after all, no one complains about it, then there will be no problem. The fact that Walsh wasn’t wearing a trenchcoat and a fake moustache doesn’t mean that the Pats weren’t preparing, if push came to shove, to say that they weren’t doing what they were doing.

You see, though, Mike, the only evidence you have to support that the Patriots were preparing an alibi or excuse is the testimony of Matt Walsh. At the same time, Walsh is also contending that the Patriots were attempting to be discreet, subtle or sneaky about it. One point of contention has been vehemently denied with video and direct accounts from not one, but two people (Bill Belichick and Walsh's superior, Jimmy Dee). Given that one of his points is baseless (and you admit this), what reason do you have to believe that the other is true? As a lawyer, do you accept a witness's testimony if half of it has been shown to be a lie, or do you consider the lie compromising to the rest of what he has said?

Florio said:
With the benefit of seeing and hearing the full interview, we think that Keteyian did a fair and proper job of grilling Belichick, and that whoever cut the thing together for use on the CBS Evening News might have believed that the end result would make Belichick look good, when in reality it made him look bad.

Since the news of the CBS exclusive was made public you have attempted to dig deeper to find a reason why CBS was chosen - proposing that it has something to do with the construction of the CBS themed restaurant in Foxboro. Given an admittedly thorough interview done by Keteyian and an editing job that paints Belichick in an unfavorable light, what actual evidence do you have (and no, your conspiracy theory beforehand is not evidence) to warrant suspicions of bias when you have pointed out all of the evidence that flies in the face of this contention (even showing that, if there was a bias, it was against the Patriots)?

Last edited:

Florio can be such a moron. Walsh DID say in his NYT interview he was involved in game planning. Check this part:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/sports/football/16nfl.html?pagewanted=4&_r=1&ref=football

Its a ridiculous suggestion by Walsh and what Belichick was referring to. That and other suggestions by Walsh he was involved in game planning. And Walsh goes on to say me and Steve stayed behind until Tuesday "with all the OTHER assistant coaches." First of all, he is talking about Steve Scarnecchia, who was a video assistant like Walsh. Yet apparently, in Walsh's delusional mind, he was an assistant coach.....i.e. his reference to "all the OTHER assistant coaches" as if he is one himself. This is clearly delusional and twisted. He was a video assistant. Low level. So was Steve. He wasn't an assistant coach.

Too bad Florio didn't research this blog entry very well, obviously missing these comments by Walsh. Walsh is a desperate guy with delusions of what he was in the past being greater than the facts indicate.

J D Sal

Exactly, I sent Florio an email asking him why no one in the media and himself have not brought up this all important point. It's as clear as day that Walsh is delusional and thought of himself of being someone more important and relevant than he actually was.

Florio can be such a moron. Walsh DID say in his NYT interview he was involved in game planning. Check this part:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/sports/football/16nfl.html?pagewanted=4&_r=1&ref=football

Its a ridiculous suggestion by Walsh and what Belichick was referring to. That and other suggestions by Walsh he was involved in game planning. And Walsh goes on to say me and Steve stayed behind until Tuesday "with all the OTHER assistant coaches." First of all, he is talking about Steve Scarnecchia, who was a video assistant like Walsh. Yet apparently, in Walsh's delusional mind, he was an assistant coach.....i.e. his reference to "all the OTHER assistant coaches" as if he is one himself. This is clearly delusional and twisted. He was a video assistant. Low level. So was Steve. He wasn't an assistant coach.

Too bad Florio didn't research this blog entry very well, obviously missing these comments by Walsh. Walsh is a desperate guy with delusions of what he was in the past being greater than the facts indicate.

J D Sal

And the media wonders why Belichick doesn't talk to them...one interview and it's already being snipped and spun.

He put retraction today, also I wonder if this good enough for Peter King... I dont think so...

sadly he doenst have an emaladdress on si.com. just those feedback forms which he once mentioned are screened by others before it comes to him .knowing king he wll just read the AP transcript and continue his agenda.

Somewhere in the middle of Belichick's explanation of defensive signals I became more aware than ever of how absurdly overblown this story is. For the first time in a while, my anger was directed back at Goodell, and I was reminded that if he had just given them a slap on the wrist and explained to the public that stealing signs is not cheating or illegal, NONE of this 9 month witch hunt would have happened.

When/where did this full interview air? Its great, and far more informative than the edited version.

Without question. I thought my anger on this whole this had already played out. This just stoked it again. Goodell IS INCOMPETENT. I'm so pissed at him all over.

The beginning of 2006, not the beginning of this season.

As Howie Long argued to Patrick, after the memo was sent, the NFL dismissed instances of illegal tapings of other teams.

Which is really why Bill Belichick said that even after the memo they went by the bylaws instead.

Because the memo was total crap after other teams had taped and been let off.

I think this is a huge part of the story. In any organization, the constitution and by-laws (C&B) is the ruling guide, you can memo clarifications, but unless you amend the wording of the (C&B), the memo cannot stand in place of the (established) guidelines. When the memo circulated and BB saw (read: CAUGHT) the fins and Jets still doing it too, he probably figured that the clarifying memo was BS and had no teeth. He went the route that was convenient to him and the way he did business.

He then said, and you can say there is some LOGIC to this, "eff it", I'll just go by what is written in the C&B. His big error (and he freely admits this), is that he did not go back to the league and get personal clarrification. I bet no other team in the league did either. It's obviously an AVOIDABLE transgression to the rules, but CHEATING, not really.

I'm convinced this was started at the Jets level just another way to d!ck with BB. The league took it up and figured its a great way to knock the Patriots down a peg and add a little parity (hence 1 round pick vs. suspension) to the league. The whole thing spiraled out of control and turned into a 30-headed monster that now can't be control. THAT IS 100% GOODELL'S FAULT.

We're at the point now that the REAL truth is starting to come out and the MSM is gonna fight real hard against it cause they sold everyone this bill of goods they now realize is a huge ****ing lemon. They can't let the words "CHEATING" out of the discussion cause they put it in there.

I *heart* Bill Belichick. I think that says it all.

Me too, almost to and unhealthy level :D

Last edited:

I'm sort of perplexed by the BB interview too. I watched the whole thing, and while as a Pats fan I thought he answered every question, even the hard ones, I can see where fans of other teams and mediots who have it in for the Pats will take this interview and spin it the way they want (he's so arrogant; refuses to admit he was trying to skirt the rules; don't believe him when he says Matt Walsh was in plain view with Pats gear on, etc.). It also makes Walsh keep talking as he now has to refute what BB said.

And, while I understand the concept of showing that Matt Walsh was just a low level doofus who probably wasn't even allowed into BB's office, it comes off as a little mean spirited (I know, I know, Walsh is a complete loser and deserves to be exposed, but still). If the Pats just want this to go away, they need to stop talking about it too I almost wish BB had released a statement to Mike Reiss rather than this interview which is being chopped up and used for the media's purposes.

Oh well. Now that the owners are going to opt out of the collective bargaining agreement, maybe that will finally remove us from the front page.

florio apparently watched the full interview now and has posted his updated comments. i give him some credit of doing this

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/17/the-full-cbs-belichick-interview/

Wish he had put in the bylaws in his blog piece. Can someone send it to him ?

but reading the comments at the bottom shows its a no win situation

PatsDeb, you make good points, but if BB hadn't talked it would have been he's too arrogant to face the music and answer questions. Is he supposed to paint Walsh in a good light? I don't see where he any options that do not make him look bad in the media's eyes. And other fans? I mean, come on. There is nothing he could say that would make them change their minds at this point. Can you think of anything? I just can't.

Re: Belichick interview with Armen Keteyian on CBS News tonight

A Belles fan thinks BB is arrogant....oh the irony

PatsDeb, you make good points, but if BB hadn't talked it would have been he's too arrogant to face the music and answer questions. Is he supposed to paint Walsh in a good light? I don't see where he any options that do not make him look bad in the media's eyes. And other fans? I mean, come on. There is nothing he could say that would make them change their minds at this point. Can you think of anything? I just can't.

bascially everyone wants BB to hold a press conference and answer all the media members. that will never happen in their lifetime.

Permission the Ray Anderson memo doesn't allow for, either. All Bill was ever guilty of was being arrogant enough to do business as business is being done. And because he's a man among boys who was willing to take his punishment and not whine and complain in part because he knew the trade off was everyone else had to ixnay the cameras including those who were using their tapes in game. What he failed to anticipate was the ****storm his franchise would also have to endure, although that was eminanently survivable for an organization as well built as his. I think that revelation as an undefeated season unfolded flat out incensed his pre existing enemies, which is why Matt Walsh came into play courtesy of the NYT, ESPN and most significantly John Tomase and the Boston Herald.

Absolutely. Where in the Bylaws and in the Memo does it say the rule can be circumvented by permission? Are we just left to imagine it is OK because the Jets were doing it and weren't chastised? Hmmm. Wouldn't that be like taping the signals from 2000-2006 and not being chastised for it? The double standards, they make my head hurt.

I understand what you're saying too, but I think we've already established that BB can't win no matter what he does, so why add more fuel to the fire and allow this thing to stay on the front page for another day? I guess the thinking was he went on national tv with an impartial national reporter who asked tough questions that he answered, so what more can he do? But I still didn't like it. I think other coaches/players coming out in support of him (see Mike Martz; Howie Long, etc.) is more helpful as they don't have an "agenda" that everyone can point to. I suspect this will be the last interview that BB gives on the subject, so that is a good thing to me.

I understand what you're saying too, but I think we've already established that BB can't win no matter what he does, so why add more fuel to the fire and allow this thing to stay on the front page for another day? I guess the thinking was he went on national tv with an impartial national reporter who asked tough questions that he answered, so what more can he do? But I still didn't like it. I think other coaches/players coming out in support of him (see Mike Martz; Howie Long, etc.) is more helpful as they don't have an "agenda" that everyone can point to. I suspect this will be the last interview that BB gives on the subject, so that is a good thing to me.

I suspect you are exactly right!

I do agree that it continues the story, but the whole thing seems like such a Catch-22. While this idiot Walsh runs around spewing to HBO, etc. we say nothing. BB says nothing? It wouldn't look good either. He just can't win.

Thanks to whomever sent Florio the full 15 minute interview that generated Pro Football Talk's updated story. Keep up the good work. Wish we had a few more writers and analysts willing to open their eyes and ears to both sides of this issue.

Several readers have sent to us the full, 15-minute interview of Patriots coach Bill Belichick by Armen Keteyian of CBS.

One key excerpt that didn’t make it onto the CBS Evening News was Belichick’s assertion, right out of the gates, that “more than one person” had told him that Matt Walsh had claimed that he had videotaped the Rams’ walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.

“Now that story has changed,” Belichick says. “It seems like he has an agenda.”​

This contention meshes with our strongly-held belief that Walsh was the source for the February 2 story in the Boston Herald that the walk-through practice had been taped. So, apparently, Walsh lied to John Tomase of the Herald, and then presumably told the truth to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on May 13.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes