PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard weighs in on Brady extension and how it effects the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. Stranger things have happened, and I didn't see anything that said to me he lacked the potential to be a starting-caliber player.

I didn't see anything that said he had the potential to be a quality starter.

He got beat deep a couple times by play-action and double moves as a rookie. Apparently, that is the end of the line for some people.

I have issues with cover safeties that can't cover. You're welcome to think that cover safeties who can't cover are not problems. We'll simply differ there. It's possible that Wilson will make the "jump" this year. I'd rather not risk it.

I hope Bedard is kidding about Wilson.

People can say what they want about Bedard's analysis and opining (generally, I think it's very good, with the occasional bad misfire), but when it comes to reporting, it seems that he has very good sources inside that organization and locker room. If he says the Patriots believe X, I believe him that the Patriots believe X.

That said, I would also be surprised if the team would go into the season banking on Wilson. I can't think of many examples of them banking on a year 1-to-year 2 progression when the player in question saw his playing time trend down as the year went on.

People can say what they want about Bedard's analysis and opining (generally, I think it's very good, with the occasional bad misfire), but when it comes to reporting, it seems that he has very good sources inside that organization and locker room. If he says the Patriots believe X, I believe him that the Patriots believe X.

That said, I would also be surprised if the team would go into the season banking on Wilson. I can't think of many examples of them banking on a year 1-to-year 2 progression when the player in question saw his playing time trend down as the year went on.

Bedard was unsure about the team's take on Wilson when he posted in a different thread here in the past couple of days. He may have gotten some clarification, or he may be guessing on that one.

I didn't see anything that said he had the potential to be a quality starter.

I have issues with cover safeties that can't cover. You're welcome to think that cover safeties who can't cover are not problems. We'll simply differ there. It's possible that Wilson will make the "jump" this year. I'd rather not risk it.

Except that he did cover fairly well, the guy was a rookie. I suppose after Revis' first season, you would have cut him for suckitude.

Bedard was unsure about the team's take on Wilson when he posted in a different thread here in the past couple of days. He may have gotten some clarification, or he may be guessing on that one.
You really can't tell if
As it stands, the Patriots are planning to go with Devin McCourty and Tavon Wilson as the starting safeties and they have a strong belief in the duo. The team has confidence that Wilson progressed enough last season, and will take the expected leap to Year 2.
is a guess or reporting something he's heard from inside?

Except that he did cover fairly well, the guy was a rookie.

No, he didn't.

I suppose after Revis' first season, you would have cut him for suckitude.

Shake the sand out. I didn't suggest cutting him. My expectation is that this team wants to use a three safety grouping moving forward, and I don't see Gregory on the team beyond this season.

You really can't tell ifis a guess or reporting something he's heard from inside?

You struggled with understanding what I posted, then?

It would be nice if Bedard is right. Just means more resources can be diverted to other areas of need.

It would be nice if Bedard is right. Just means more resources can be diverted to other areas of need.

I agree, but from what we have seen - and granted the Pats have seen more - it seems like some wishful thinking. When we last saw our Patriots, Steve Gregory was getting toasted by the TEs on that Ravens team. He is fine against lesser opponents (looked good the week before, for instance), but is not adequate against better TEs.

Bottom line, whether at LB or S, the Patriots have to get better covering the middle of the field. There was a dramatic improvement in their coverage in that regard when they were able to shift McCourty to safety and play 1-safety coverages, allowing Gregory to roam the middle or cover TEs in man. But even still, the personnel is not quite suited to cover that area, even if they run a scheme that helps it.

And this assumes that we retain a cornerback group good enough to allow McCourty to continue playing safety, and to continue playing schemes that let the 2nd safety be more aggressive in the middle of the field. I think they can get the corners, but I still believe they need a legit safety prospect next to Devin.

When did Cannon become a proven solution at RT? I like him, but he's never even come close to proving he can keep good pass rushers off Brady consistently.

He's serviceable there. I think the Pats will target a RG prospect in the draft. Next year, from the way it looks right now, looks to be a deeper year for RT prospects in the draft. It's also possible that they pick up a veteran stopgap at RT as well.

I agree, but from what we have seen - and granted the Pats have seen more - it seems like some wishful thinking. When we last saw our Patriots, Steve Gregory was getting toasted by the TEs on that Ravens team. He is fine against lesser opponents (looked good the week before, for instance), but is not adequate against better TEs.

Bottom line, whether at LB or S, the Patriots have to get better covering the middle of the field. There was a dramatic improvement in their coverage in that regard when they were able to shift McCourty to safety and play 1-safety coverages, allowing Gregory to roam the middle or cover TEs in man. But even still, the personnel is not quite suited to cover that area, even if they run a scheme that helps it.

And this assumes that we retain a cornerback group good enough to allow McCourty to continue playing safety, and to continue playing schemes that let the 2nd safety be more aggressive in the middle of the field. I think they can get the corners, but I still believe they need a legit safety prospect next to Devin.

I was speaking to the notion of Wilson being a starting caliber safety; thus, your tandem would be Wilson/McCourty with Gregory as the rotational guy.

I agree that the Patriots need to do whatever's in their power to upgrade over Gregory, who is useful as a reserve but pretty much sucks as a starter.

Wilson should be used as a depth guy going forward. The team should look to any one of the "big three" safeties in the draft with their first selection. If Wilson pans out to be anything more than a depth guy, then it's a surplus at the position and the position becomes deeper. It also allows the Patriots to roll out multiple personnel packages that they otherwise would not have been able to use.

Wilson should be used as a depth guy going forward. The team should look to any one of the "big three" safeties in the draft with their first selection. If Wilson pans out to be anything more than a depth guy, then it's a surplus at the position and the position becomes deeper. It also allows the Patriots to roll out multiple personnel packages that they otherwise would not have been able to use.

I'm in agreement here. I think Wilson has potential, but if you can manage to get a great young safety in the draft, Wilson still has value as a 3rd safety and light "linebacker" in some packages. If Wilson's development demands more playing time, McCourty can go back to corner, where I'm convinced his play would be better with decent safety play behind him. Look at the two years since his rookie year, and his BEST safety in that time has been Chung. If McCourty could play corner with a clone of himself playing safety, I bet he'd look better.

It's also possible that they pick up a veteran stopgap at RT as well.

I think they'll have to look towards some vet FA's who could potentially play both sides and start if/when needed. As you said, Cannon isn't making any of us feel that comfortable in a full-time role, and the depth behind Solder is non existent.

Or they could surprise us with a draft choice to potentially battle it out with Cannon and/or replace Vollmer.

I'm in agreement here. I think Wilson has potential, but if you can manage to get a great young safety in the draft, Wilson still has value as a 3rd safety and light "linebacker" in some packages. If Wilson's development demands more playing time, McCourty can go back to corner, where I'm convinced his play would be better with decent safety play behind him. Look at the two years since his rookie year, and his BEST safety in that time has been Chung. If McCourty could play corner with a clone of himself playing safety, I bet he'd look better.

I would tend to agree unless they plan to target the position in free agency with a short term or longer term prospect, then an additional draft choice may not be needed.

So Bedard's shopping list is:
  • Backup QB
  • Backup OT
  • WR (Welker +1 as strong possiblity)
  • DT with pass rush push
  • DE (#3 after Jones and Ninko)
  • CB (Talib still possible but with questions)
  • Ed Reed

Several CBs, potentially, as he sees Talib & Arrington as both likely to leave.

Also, an ST LB, I guess to upgrade White/Tarpinian/Koutivides

Potentially backup interior OL too, I guess, to replace Thomas

For what? He's not the future, that was settled today. In two years he's worth zilch and he's gone anyway. May never be worth more than he is today, whatever that may be. We don't even know if he's a competent backup. He's certainly not a guy with a similar skillset to Brady. And he's taking up a valuable roster spot that could be used on a guy you know has a similar skillset or even a guy whose proven he can run this offense - just for openers. For all we know Kafka might chase him off the roster in camp. Some guys get a little jiggy when they know the writing is on the wall.

Fair enough, but what would you accept in trade for Mallett then?

There's more from that article by Bedard with informed speculation as to what the Pats have up their sleeves this off season. In short, Vollmer, Woodhead & Lloyd are gone. Chung is gone; Arrington may be gone. The WR position will be rebuilt. Cannon will play RT. Pass Rushing DT & CB, WR in UFA and draft. Bedard thinks some bigger names like Harvin/Reed/Freeny are very much in the discussion.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...O/story-1.html

Wow!

With the news that Demps is leaving football for track, I would no longer be so sure about
Woody not being re-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes