PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Retirement Seems Likely for Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it customary for teams to reward players for not honoring contracts? Can you think of any other Patriots that Bob Kraft has bestowed millions to as a parting gift? Did the Pats and Brady restructure, sacrificing future cap space, so Matt can ride off into the sunset with extra coin?

Ted Johnson for one was allowed to retain about $1.5M in signing bonus they could have asked to be refunded. I don't believe Tedy was asked to reimburse them any of his when he retired, either. Their deal with Light may well have been for $7M to play in 2011 and $5M if he plays another season which neither side was anticipating he would and they just structured it in a way that allowed them to spread the hit over two years by calling a lot of that 2011 payment "signing bonus". Teams aren't required to recover it on retirement, just entitled to if they choose to.

Had they structured it differently with little signing bonus and mostly salary (as you would do in a two year deal that is really a one year deal with little or no dead cap ramifications) he would have counted against the cap $7M last season instead of $4.5... $7M is very good although not quite top tier LT money, so... the structure of his deal made him a 1 or two year bargain.

Last edited:
Ted Johnson for one was allowed to retain about $1.5M in signing bonus they could have asked to be refunded. I don't believe Tedy was asked to reimburse them any of his when he retired, either. Their deal with Light may well have been for $7M to play in 2011 and $5M if he plays another season which neither side was anticipating he would and they just structured it in a way that allowed them to spread the hit over two years by calling a lot of that 2011 payment "signing bonus". Teams aren't required to recover it on retirement, just entitled to if they choose to.

Had they structured it differently with little signing bonus and mostly salary (as you would do in a two year deal that is really a one year deal with little or no dead cap ramifications) he would have counted against the cap $7M last season instead of $4.5... $7M is very good although not quite top tier LT money, so... the structure of his deal made him a 1 or two year bargain.

You may be very well right regarding the Light bonus situation....but the Ted Johnson example is a far different set of circumstances than the healthy Light retirement.

"His agent, Jack Mills, told the Boston Globe that doctors had not cleared Johnson to play and that the decision to retire was a "very difficult" one."

"He had been seeking medical opinion about whether he could continue to play, and the people that he talked to recommended that he not continue with football," Mills said to The Associated Press. "He decided to take the doctors' advice."
USA Today

Players keep some contract money if forced to retire due to injury....unlike the Light situation

You're talking Johnson's discussions with independent neurologists regarding his future vs. passing a team physical. Light's decision may be centered around some of the very same concerns, his future and his ability to enjoy a long life in retirement. Johnson had passed his exit physical months earlier. He likely would have passed his intake physical too unless he complained (as he never had in the past) and they had dug deeper. And even then, at that point it was not a given he wouldn't have passed a team physical. That was several years ago. Times and attitudes are changing now. TJ actually freaked out over what happened to Tedy that off season, and that as much as concussion concern per se drove him to get out while he still could. Sadly it was likely a little too late even then. Bright guys like Light who have a future in the media or with the union don't want to make that same mistake.

Rotoworld Speculation: Matt Light to retire

Per Rotoworld-

ESPN Boston expects Patriots LT Matt Light to retire.

Light has been contemplating retirement since the Patriots' Super Bowl loss, but hasn't offered any public insight into his decision. It's believed he'd have to take a pay-cut from his $3.4 million salary and accept a swing-tackle role to remain with the Pats.

If he retires, how much cap will we have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Matt Light to retire

Bad, bad, bad posting. Speculation has been going on for months. This is just more of that.

Per Rotoworld-

If he retires, how much cap will we have?

Jumping the gun a little bit there mate. Contemplating doesn't mean hi is to retire like your title says. Zolak has been saying since the Super Bowl he hasn't heard it from Matt. And, doesn't think he will retire.

You're just begging for the PS. And you've been long enough to know better that to start a deliberately deceiving thread so you're really begging for a time out IMO...

Re: Rotoworld Speculation: Matt Light to retire

What I am really interested in knowing is how in the world did anyjohnson edit kdppatsfan85's Original post?

I wasn't aware that anyone other than the OP or a mod could edit a post.

Unless anyjohnson is a Mod, and I wasn't aware of it. :confused:

Last edited:

What I really am innterested in knowing is how in the world did anyjohnson edit kdppatsfan85's Original post?

Yes. The same guy who posted that Laron Landry was photo shopping pictures of himself to post on his twitter account ( all false accusations by AJ ), is now editing other members posts.

This is an ominous sign that the Mayans might be correct about 2012.

Last edited:

Yes. The same guy who posted that Laron Landry was photo shopping pictures of himself to post on his twitter account ( all false accusations by AJ ), is now editing other members posts.

Yes, he is a mod.... or Yes, you wondered the same thing...?

Yes, he is a mod.... or Yes, you wondered the same thing...?

I am a mod. Do you have an issue with the post title being clarified?

What I am really interested in knowing is how in the world did anyjohnson edit kdppatsfan85's Original post?

Andy's a mod

I am a mod. Do you have an issue with the post title being clarified?

Not at all.

The question was "how" not "why".

I got my answer... (Thank you Deus) And while I'm surprised by that answer... it sure does explain a lot.

Matt has had a great career. I would be disappointed if he chose to retire. He should have a few more years in him.

You don't need to worry about the Mayan "prediction." They didn't know that we'd invent leap years, so it wasn't part of their projections. When those extra days are figured in, we are already well past the Mayan prediction date for the end of the world.

Bonzo speculation: Light doesn't retire. Or, at the least, camps out on the shadow roster for half a season.

Sad. Great player.

I think Jim Nantz will be happy. Don't have to call him Todd Light anymore.

I think Light is a smart guy and knows enough about Left Tackles to know that when Left Tackles begin to lose their skills, things can turn very bad for a team real quick.

That's a classy move to step aside rather than be in denial and collect a big paycheck.

The guy who protected Brady through 3 Super Bowls deserves a hellova lotta thanks from the Fanbase.

Mario Williams and Mark Anderson just read this and lit up from ear to ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes